Good precision rifle? Zastava?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by sputnik1988, Feb 19, 2012.

1. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I'm looking for a good bolt gun, but I have a few questions.

#1. The Zastava rifles from KVAR, are they a good choice? I'd honestly prefer synthetic rather than wood because of weight though.

#2. 308 vs 30-06? I have a Garand, so I shoot M2 ball ammo and can buy non-corrosive for $100 plus shipping for 400 rounds. I'm pretty certian that I can't touch 308 for that.

I want to have a lite tactical rifle, but nothing too fancy.

Thanks guys.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Zastava make pretty decent rifles with a Mauser type action. several years ago. Remington imported them and sold them as models M798 and M799. too bad they dropped them as they were decently priced and came in a wide array of calibers. post some pictures of the rifles in question to be sure they are the same ones though.

now whether to go with 30-06 or 308. you already have one rifle in 30-06, so stocking ammo would be somewhat simpler by going with another rifle in 30-06, because you could use the same ammo in both rifles. 308 bulk ammo will be pretty close in price to the 30-06 if you wanted to go with the rifle in 308. the 308 is like the little brother of the 30-06, an excellent cartridge. you have a hard choice to make, i'm glad i don't have to make the choice! my suggestion, go with the 308. but if you decide to go with the 30-06, still a good choice. good luck and let us know which one you decide on.