Good pistol for the fiancé

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by ccase39, Jul 22, 2014.

1. ccase39

ccase39 Member

Looking for a good all around semi auto hand gun for my fiancé. She is not very familiar with handguns and have only been shooting with me a few times. She had a ball and wants something for the range that can double as home protection (she is familiar with my HDS and AR's) so home protection is secondary.
    She has shot my ATI 1911 in .45 and .22 cal.
    She wAs able to handle the 45 accurately but she said its a little punchy for her comfort zone. She says the .22 is not enough.
    I have been thinking .380 or 9mm. I think she can handle the 9 and am sure she can handle .380.
    The cost of 9mm ammo is also a plus.
    This would not be something she would conceal and carry.
    Thoughts?

2. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Do you buy her shoes?
    Do you buy her clothes?
    Take her out test driving. It's for her, she should choose it. It's been my experience that left to their own devices, women will usually not pick what you think they will. Or, for that matter, what you'd like them to.

Food for thought. Recommended reading:

http://www.corneredcat.com/article/for-the-men/buying-a-gun-for-your-wife/
    http://www.corneredcat.com/article/for-the-men/what-gun-for-a-woman/

After all that, have you considered a .357 revolver? Practice w/ .38 special, .357 mag for social work. Lots of fun to boot. Don't know your budget, but S&W makes 8 shot .357s...just sayin'.
    Not for carry? Forget the .380.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014

3. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I'd use the same gun to shoot a fiancé as I'd use to shoot an ex-wife......................am I possibly not understanding the question????

4. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Lol Chloe.

My wifes first gun was a 38 Special revolver just recently bought her an M&P 9 C she likes that gun but has a hard time loading the stiff magazines so for a first gun I would suggest a revolver

5. LoniJo

LoniJo New Member

Yeah..us "girls" generally do a decent job of choosing our own accessories, guns included. Nothing wrong with a little input from others, but it all boils down to what she wants :)

6. ccase39

ccase39 Member

I'm kind of on here on her behalf. I know she likes the size of some of the .380s but with it being so small she doesn't know about accuracy in comparison to a larger pistol (neither do I since I have never shot one) She seems pretty convinced she doesn't want a revolver, which is what I suggested at first. There is really nowhere around here where they rent guns to shoot, I wish their was.

7. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

One of my daughters chose a Glock 26(9mm) the other a Kahr CW40.

8. St8LineGunsmith

St8LineGunsmith New Member

LMAO thats funny **** right there!:D

9. endobro

endobro New Member

My fiance likes my Beretta PX4 compact 9mm. Take her to cabelas and play with them together.

10. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Go to the range and rent several firearms.

I put my name on my LGS wait list for the 9mm XDs before it was ever announced. Wife put it in her hand, and my gun was GONE, LONG GONE. I never had a chance at it :)

11. ccase39

ccase39 Member

My LGS doesn't have much of a selection on rentals. I will take her in and let her shoot a few different calibers and see what she thinks. Appreciate the help.

12. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

Here are the rules for buying firearms for someone else:
    1) Let them decide
    2) see rule #1

good luck

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

more than likely, the best pistol for her is the one she chooses.

as a side note, the less input you have in the decision the better. unless she specifically asks for your suggestions or advice, keep them to yourself. and if she does, keep your comments neutral or objective.

believe it or not, woman are very capable of making decisions on their own. sometimes their choices in guns, surprises most men. one example i saw a few years ago in a gun store, a guy trying to steer his wife or GF into getting a compact pistol in 380. she told him she was getting the 4" Ruger in 357 Magnum!

14. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

If she is pretty, fertile, and generally domestic, I might offer something great. :p

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

hey McCool, this is a gun forum, not a dating site!:p

16. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

"Pistol for my fiancé." Did I misread that? :confused:

17. Gabill

Gabill New Member

i might sound like a broken record, but have her try the Sig P238 and the Sig 938. my wife has shot both and loves them. make sure you let her make her own choice, if the ladies not happy you wont be.

18. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Here's the sneaky way!;)

Buy her the gun you really want, if she doesn't like it, Buy her another gun you'd like to have, etc. . . .

If she likes it, when you go shooting with her, tell her much you really like her gun and then go get yourself one!

19. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Good advice from all.

Be leery of the gun shop "expert" who says that a small .357 magnum with 125 gr hollowpoints is the way to go.

I have asked guys to let me take a picture of them shooting the first shot from the gun they purchased for their significant others. One round of .357 in a small revolver is normally enough for them to realize that a mistake was made.

By the way, "Expert" (noun) can be broken into two syllables. "Ex", which is another way of saying "was at one time, but not now", and "Pert" (defined as "smart"). Combining the two, you get someone who was smart once, but no more.

20. racer_x

racer_x New Member

I think ill take the advise of eatmydust. Ill have a whole trailer full before I get the right one. lol