good ole 3 gun bullseye. anyone still do it?

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by bobski, Dec 11, 2012.

1. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

in my day, the 3 gun event was 22/38/45.
    any of you guys still do 2700 matches?

yes...i do!

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Is that three handguns? I am interested in getting into the AR, Pump Shotgun, 1911 style 3 gun, but havent yet.

3. bobski

yes, long before there was such thing as pistol, rifle, shotgun, you shot 3 cal of pistols.

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I often shoot 3 or 4 different guns on a simple range trip. If I didnt rotate the guns some would get lonely. LOL

5. bonney

bonney New Member

for decades now, guys have shot the centerfire stage with .45, so that they only need 2 pistols. I suppose you could shoot a .45 in the .22 match,if you want to suffer a handicap.

6. bonney

bonney New Member

in his column in G and A mag, Bill Jordan once called on the guys in the budding IPSC combat matches to "come swim in the BIG pool", (ie, shoot bullseye matches) and my immediate thought was". lots more people play golf", should I waste my time and money on that, too?" Today, i no longer regard IPSC as serious defensive training (as I did back in the 70's) it's still a good exposure to fast draw, fast shooting, movement, some use of cover, and shooting under STRESS.

7. bobski

stress is what bullseye shooting escapes. its great training for scoped rifle matches too, where breath contol and heartbeat can be felt and controlled thru mental disipline.
    btw...45 is not allowed in 22 match. too loud and is not permitted.

8. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I excelled in the three gun bullseye matches. Just before I retired (20 years) from the Navy 1975, I made the Expert level. I was in Navy aviation. AMSC RETIRED with AC wings.
    But, you did not need actually three different guns. One had to be rim fire and the other two center fire. I used my Match .45 in all my center fire matches.
    In 1974 I was DI shooting Instructor at the US Naval Academy at Annapolis.
    I medaled three times with the .45

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I never have shot in a bullseye match but it sounds like fun. I lack a 45 but a 45 long colt isn't hard to find around here.

10. I shot in Bullseye matches until the Deity challenged Californians closed down the ranges.

I now live in Nebraska and can't find a local match in which to compete. I would very much like to shoot in such matches; the discipline required is high and one who can shoot one handed pistol can move off into pretty much any other handgun discipline.

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

This sounds interesting.

12. bobski

early on, the match was done all with revolvers only too.

13. MarkF45

MarkF45 New Member

I run a monthly bullseye match here in Southern Calif. We get about 10 people a month shooting it. Twice a year we run the full 3 guns (2700). The rest of the time we just shoot 22 and CF (1800).

Most of the people are using a dot sight of one kind or another. We get a variety of guns for Center-Fire: SW 52's in 38 Special are still very popular, years after SW stopped making them. We get Pardini/Hammerli/Walther 32 SW Long. We get 9mm's (Sig 226 X5 and 1911). We get 38/357 revolvers. We got a 45ACP revolver one. We got a Glock 40 once. Of course there are a lot of 1911/45's, both wadcutter and hardball versions.

Mark

14. bobski

east coast here.
    iron sights still rule the day.
    hi standards are the 22 of choice here.
    38's are extinct and guys shoot their hardball 1911a1's for both events.
    big military crowd around hampton roads as you can imagine, so 1911's are popular.
    i still box my custom 55 colt/giles wadcutter 38 to the range, but never shoot it. its too nice!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  15. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I shot Bullseye matches in my teens through my mid-20's. I used a Smith & Wesson Model 41 for the rimfire stage, a Smith & Wesson K-38 for centerfire, and a Colt Gold Cup for the .45 (most people used the .45 for both centerfire and .45 stages). Then I sorta got busy -- school, marriage, work, etc.

After moving to PA I've become friends with someone who still particpates in the matches, and I'm seriously thinking getting back in. However, I no longer have the right kind of of guns. None of my 1911's are set up it, and the only .22 automatic I have is a Ruger Mk I with the tapered barrel. I am looking for a good deal on a target Ruger with a bull barrel and I have a Series 80 that could be converted into a bullseye gun. When I was shooting most still used iron sights, but it appears that red dot sights are what are used these days. But the main thing is I have to get used to shooting one handed again.

My father used a Hi-Standard target pistol (I'm not sure, I think the Olympic Citation) and a Clark modified Colt 1911 (I wonder where THAT went to).

16. purchawk

purchawk New Member

My local club shoots .22 bullseye matches in doors every Mon. night from May to Sept. 600 points only. We get up to 30 shooters a match, and attendence keeps growing. A lot of Ruger Mark IIs and IIIs, as well as Hi-Standards and a few Brownings. Most serious competitors use red-dots.

Last year we added a monthly centerfire bullseye match--also 600 points--but no .45 match.

We get a big variety of firearms for this centerfire competition from high-end 9111s in .45 Colt to old K-frame .38 Special S&W revolvers or Colt Python .357s and a couple of 1911s in .38 Super. Only a few red-dots.

We have a really, really good time with this traditional style of shooting, although it lacks the physical challenges of Cowboy Action or combat action matches. The emphasis is on precision and accuracy.

17. rsfrid

rsfrid New Member

We shoot 22 bullseye indoors during winter. Outdoors IDPA seems to have taken over. I'd like to see outdoors bullseye interest pick up.

18. bobski

i miss the days of 2700 matches.

19. Declan

Declan New Member

Hi can anyone tell me the difference between a Hammerli x-esse & a x-esse sport??

20. bobski

without knowing for sure id guess one has a lighter bbl.