Good name in Air rifles?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Yunus, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I'm thinking about getting an air rifle. I can't use firearms at my house but can use an air rifle. It would be for shooting a groundhog at 25 yards or less but also just for fun. Rifle or pistol if an air pistol can be accurate at 25 yards. I'm really just looking for a solid brand name at this point. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, but I don't want to buy crap either.

2. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I owned an RWS .22 and it was an exellent air rifle,lots of power but very low noise because it's always subsonic,and the gun was good quality.I had a Benjamin sheridan superstreak in .177 and it was terrible,the barrel snapped right off one day while cocking.Walther makes a spring powered gun in .25-that would knock that groundhog's socks off!I have heard good things about Gamo and Beeman too.

3. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Subsonic is important to me as well. I'll check them out.

4. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Air rifle for whistle pigs? In a development no less? You sure you want to do that, Yunus? If you want the groundhog to leave, drop some of your dog's doo down it's hole. It will move on.

5. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Maybe you should look at a Red Ryder carbine-action, two hundred shot Range Model air rifle with a compass in the stock and a thing which tells time. Just Like Ralphie's.:D

Attached Files:

6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Gamo makes excellent air rifles. :)

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

GAMO, RWS and Quackenbush all make great air rifles.

Just make sure your in the legal about it.

In my area If you air rifle shoots a pellet over 750fps it is a Firearm in the eyes of the law and you can't discharge it in a developed area.

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Rogers, AR. is the hometown of Diasy air rifles with a long history of making fine quality airguns as well, my home town. :)

9. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

If you want to be super sneaky....

*Gamo Whisper*

You could sneak up on a bedouin with that.

10. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

Skull is right on with this advice. I bought a Gamo Varmint hunter model last year to rid my house/yard of an infestation of furry tailed rats. It worked great, and served its intended purpose exceptionally well. But in hindsight, I should have dropped a few more bucks and bought the "whisper" model. The standard model with the copper plated pellets (1200 FPS) is LOUD, even with plain lead pellets (1000 FPS) the standard model noise level is still VERY noticable.

11. glock2740

glock2740 New Member

Gamo makes some pretty awesome ones.

12. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Like I stated before,the Benjamin Superstreak's barrel snapped in half!The barrel was made up from an inner rifled part,an exterior shell,and like,powered metal filler inbetween,and it was an expensive $300 gun.On the other hand,I owned a cheap Daisy 1000fps .177 pellet rifle,and I decided to take off a few inches of the barrel(don't ask me why),and it took me about an hour with a hacksaw to get through it.The Daisy gun was made from better metals and always worked good,so don't discard a Daisy just because it's only 100 bucks.

13. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

prior to coming to this forum, i bought a couple airguns thinking they might extinguish my growing desire to get back into shooting.

they did nothing of the sort, if my interest was a keg of gunpowder, it was no different then tossing a match on it...

anyhoots....i had scooped a less costly RWS diana model (590 fps) and the infamous Gamo whisper(1000-1200fps) both in .177

the gamo whisper, really only whispers if its next to a real gun, it is by no means quiet...especially at 1200fps, you get the same crack(sound barrier) as from a .22 rimfire almost.

i got both of em sighted in to a 2-3" circle thru iron sights at a 100' so both are fairly accurate( no bench rest )

pyramydair.com is a great informative site with plenty of airgun types and reviews to check before you buy...

if you had a scuba tank you could go with the benjamin marauder, now that thing looks like pure fun, no pumping required.