good Long range calibre?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by MrRemmy, Apr 27, 2008.

1. MrRemmy

MrRemmy New Member

G'day everyone,

I'm looking to buy a Remington 700 soon, and im planning on doing a fair bit of long range shooting such as in the 300-1000 yd range. The calibers ive been looking at are 7mm rem mag, 308 and 300 win mag. I understand both the magnums are good long range cartridges, and the 308 can be also, but i have had mixed opinions from people i know, so i thought i would see what you guys have to say as in regard with experience with the cartridges. One thing i have heard a lot of, is that the 300 win mag has considerable recoil, i have shot a 30-06 many times and find it quite reasonable, so i would also like to know how much of a step up the 300 is from the '06. Price of ammo is not really a concern to me either. Any help from you guys is much appreciated ;)

cheers, matty

2. gnoll

gnoll New Member

well look in to some of the shorts like 300 WSM they have there +++\

3. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Ammo availability is always a concern. 30-06 has served as a long range round for many years and through 2 World Wars. Camp Perry Service Rifle competetion is a good example. That being said, the new trend in AR type tactical rifles is to go to the 300 Win. Mag or 338 Lapua for extended range. The .308 is generally good to about 600 or so yds. I wouldn't want to shoot 300 Mags or .338 Lapua's all day though. I have a .308 DPMS AR that weighs almost 11 lbs. so recoil is like that of .223.

4. BigO01

BigO01 New Member

Well just my opinion here but first off what are you shooting at at such extended ranges ?

If it is some kind of formal target competition I would think there will be rules you will have to follow .

If it is a big game animal , considering people regularly collect fine record book animals with Archery gear and you think you need to make a 400+ yard shot I think you need to become a better hunter .

The 30-06 , 270 , 308 , 7mm08 , 25-06 , and the list goes on and on are all capable of taking even Elk sized game at 300-400 Yards , me I think that's all you need .

Taking a chance on wounding a beautiful game animal and causing it a slow agonizing death just to impress your friends when you do manage to make a clean kill to me is just unconscionable .

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well, I would first question what you are shooting at those distances. Competition? Game? Sport shooting on weekends?

Next I would question why a Remington 700? I did an action comparison a month or so ago and compared this action to a Winchester and Howa and I would personally go in another direction.

With a little more information, I feel that the forum peeps here can probably point you in the right direction, but this question is a little open ended for a definitive answer.

JD

6. MrRemmy

MrRemmy New Member

Hey everyone,

Thankyou all for your comments, i most appreciate what you all have to say. As in regard to more info, i shall add that the rifle would be used for hunting, and i do not intend to hunt any game at those extended distances, i ment it more towards shooting at paper targets, for fun and personal satisfaction on weekends. And to Dillinger, i did read your post, and it was very interesting and enjoyable to read, and makes a very good point. All in all, just a good, accurate rifle to have fun with on weekends is all i need, any ideas of rifles along those lines would be great, im sure there are plenty.

cheers ;)

7. h&k bigdaddydieseldan

h&k bigdaddydieseldan New Member

.300 win is a excellent long range round also .338 lapua is one really nasty round but these are expensive rounds you can also go .308 round but you will definitely need to have some special rounds to be hitting at 1000 yards :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Any of the rounds listed would do the trick, but some of them ( like the Lapua ) are extremely expensive for just shooting targets for "fun". You are talking several grand for a good rifle and good optics, not to mention the cost of ammo.

Currently there is widespread use of the 6.5 x 284 cartridge for thousand yard benchrest and "across the course" guns. I like the cartridge, it doesn't punish on recoil and it's terribly accurate once you get it dialed in. I don't know of too many manufacturers that are turning out stock sticks in that caliber though, and you would probably have to end up loading all your own brass.

7mm is a flat shooting cartridge that will easily reach out to 1000. I am currently having one built on a Lawton custom action & a Mike Rock 5R barrel that I expect to stretch my effective range substantially over my .308 Winchester. The FBI HRT team has moved over to this round in the past couple of years and haven't looked back.

.300 Win Mag is a great long range round, very flat shooting, but the thing packs a real punch for recoil, so I would recommend a good muzzle break and a great recoil pad to ease some of that force.

The .270 is an interesting cartridge, doesn't punish on recoil, is very common and can reach a grand pretty easily. I don't know a ton about the cartridge, but have seen several rifles built around it for long range shooting.

That's just off the top of my head, and I am sure there are a ton of opinions that will pop up here in the next few days.

Best of luck in your research and your future purchase. Look forward to seeing some photos and getting your after action report.

JD

9. tuck2

tuck2 New Member

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  10. jtv3062

jtv3062 New Member

With a .308 155 and 175 grain bullets will get you to 1000 yards. The .308 is also easy on the barrel, you will get 5000 rounds through a barrel, others have said they can get up to 10,000 rounds with good accurcy, magnums will be alot lower.
    Check out 6mmbr, they have write ups on many long range rounds.

11. fluffo63

fluffo63 New Member

......25-06........:d

12. tuckinauster

tuckinauster New Member

If I were you, I'd look into a .308 win.. Its an uber common round with tons of different bullet variations, and lots of ballistic info. I however, shoot a .270, I like the flat/fast ballistics, and it's just a fun round in general. The choice of factory long range ammo is kinda slim though. Good luck to ya with whatever you decide.

13. hogwort

hogwort New Member

don't let these guys scare you, the 300 win mag is a fantastic long range rifle and if you have lots of 3006 time you wont have any problem with the 300 recoil. and nothing you can see will be safe either. have fun

14. seedy

seedy Member

I'll go with the 300 rum available with the remington 700. with it you can go to different power levels that I think are commercially available. Level 1 is comparable to a 30-06, level 2 is comparable to the 300 win mag and level 3 is full power. I have a friend who has one one and it was easy to reload to a level 2 which I found pleasant to shoot. I imagine a 180 gr. pill at 3400fps might just reach a 1000 yd target.

15. Catfish

Catfish New Member

For targets any round can be used for long range shooting. The old .45-70 was used for 1,000 yrd. matches for years. If your talking about hunt that a hole other ball game and I don`t think anyone should be shooting a big game at 1,000 yrds. I have a .22-6mm that I built for a long range coyote gun and it shoots flatter than any factory round but in the 25 yrds. between 625 and 650 the bullet will drop 6 in. with the loads I am currently useing. That boils down to if I`m off 25 yrds. on my range estimation, I miss. I have shot a 2 in group at 600 yrds. with the gun over the hood of my pick-up and have total faith in it, as long as I can get them ranged.

16. jocww

jocww New Member

i have a 700 in 06 and I like it kicks harder than my dads 788 in 308 I like the 308 round. jewl trigger and your good with either gun

17. MrRemmy

MrRemmy New Member

Thanks again guys for all the help. I bought a rifle yesterday, which i think will be great for what i want it for. It is not a Remington 700 like i said i was looking at buying, but it is a Brno ZKK 601 chambered in 6.5x284. The rifle is pretty much custom built with all the usual good gear like jewel trigger, big stainless barrel with target crown the action is blueprinted and is fitted with a 6-24x50 Barska scope. When i pick the rifle up i will post some pics and let you guys know how it goes at the range. ;)

18. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Sounds like you got yourself a nice stick there. 6.5 x 284 is a really accurate round, with some tuning on the reloading bench I would be willing to bet you will be posting some outstanding groups.

Look forward to seeing your pics.

JD

19. ba_50

ba_50 New Member

Try precisionlongrangehunter.com

20. 1hole

1hole New Member

For informal long-range target shooting and serious hunting in your part of the world I would choose the Rem 7mm mag. It's recoil duplicates the -06 but the trajectory is better. The only scope cut I ever got was from a .300 Win., my fault, but it does have more recoil than is needed for most game hunting anywhere.

Both cartridges tend to be accurate and ammo is usually available, at least over here.

The .308 is a great game and target round too but the others beat it at long ranges.