Good long distance rifle?

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by Kenney, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Maybe not a full blown sniper rifle but something with good distance. I don't know too much about rifles, but I've shot a 30-30 and .50 BMG with a friend (who happens to have a lot more money than me).

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

How long of a distance are you talking ? Will you be bench shooting ? Reolading ammo ? what price range do you want to be in ? What will you be using it for ?
    Optics make or break a gun also so figure in a price for a decent optic around $400- $1000 unless your on a budget for something cheaper

3. Kenney

Kenney New Member

I found a good size clearing about 800m wide. I was going to use that as my shooting ground. I might use it for hunting considering I can get a months worth of food for the price of a bullet (and venison taste better than ramen). I'd rather save for a good used gun than buy a cheap clunker, so whatever is a good gun. I can't reload, but I don't mind ammo cost as much as I should.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

check out the Marlin XS7VH in 308, with a 26" heavy barrel. i gave $370 +tax, NIB for mine. now i do reload for mine, but with some good match grade ammo, it should do just fine. i have never even shot factory ammo in mine, but with my reloads, it is quite accurate.

another option, hit the gun stores, pawn shops and gun shows, as you never know what you might run across used.

5. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

+1 on the x7vh. Get ahold of me on your build axxe

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

6. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Know anything in semi?

7. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Semis arent usually used in long distance bc the loss of power it takes to blow open the bolt. Browning BAR in 308, 270, 243, and 30/06 comes to mind. Preferably 308 & 270. They are pretty expensive.

8. Axxe55

the best that i have any experiance with is the Springfield M1A in 308, but even the cheapest in that rifle is going to be $1300-1500 for a standard version with no scope or mount. another option would be an AR chambered in 308, but still a little pricey, and still no scope. there are some others, but a decent semi auto rifle chambered in 308 and accurate isn't going to be cheap.

9. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Exactly my thinkin. M1a's are expensive and hell to get ahold of....build kits for one are even more painful to get ahold of even if they do cost less

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

savage model 10/110 series are good fairly low cost rifles very easy to work on and even change calibers with some simple tools. a lower cost savage can easily be turned into a target grade rifle.

for semi auto m1 garands can be had from cmp and will easily reach out to 800yds but arent easily scoped. other options are ar10 and the aforementioned m1a which also has some issues being scoped.

11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I would stay away from the semi auto if your truly looking to make a precision long distance rifle . bolt action .308 would be a great choice especially if you intend on hunting with it also, Still fairly cheap to shoot but still reaches out there with accuracy . There are better choices for sure for long distance but most wont be cost effective to shoot as the .308 will especially if your just buying cheap bulk ammo to plink with

12. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Bolt action sounds like a good option as long as it uses a magazine. My biggest problem with most guns is loading each round individually. I don't have any issue with bolt or lever, but sitting there putting each round in is a bit tedious for me. I think I might just like the sound of slamming the next magazine in and chambering the first round.

13. billt

billt New Member

+1 on the Savage. I am currently running a total of 3 Savage bolt actions. All of them are box stock, and they are very accurate. The top photo is a Savage Model 10-FP in .308. It has the Accutrigger, but not the Accustock. The middle photo is a Savage Model 12 FT/R, also in .308. It is a accurized target grade rifle with a 30" Stainless Steel Barrel and a single shot, target grade bolt action. It has the Target Accutrigger. The bottom photo is my Savage 110-FCP/K in .300 Winchester Magnum. It is equipped with both the Accutrigger and Accustock.

All three of these rifles perform unbelievably well for box stock weapons firing handloads. My 10-FP has a blind magazine, but Savage is now offering many of their bolt action models with detachable magazines. My 110-FCP/K has one. The Model 12-F/TR has won many F-Class target matches, and is one of the most accurate bolt action rifles on the current market.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

seems as though even the lower end savages are great shooters , I have a Savage AXIS in .223 1:9 twist which shoots sub MOA, also available in numerous calibers including .243, .270, .308, . 30.06 . these all have 4-5 rd removable mags . marlin also makes a damn good shooter for the $$$

Heres my savage Remington UMC .223 @ 100 yards 1" squares. Its a bit high as I have this gun zeroed @ 200

[​IMG]

15. Axxe55

a bolt action should be able to give more potential accuracy than most semi-auto rifles. the semi auto rifles that are capable of very good accuracy are more than likely going to be more expensive than a decently priced bolt action. plus most semi-autos are going to require a mount so as to put a scope on it and these are usually pricy as well.

16. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

CZ puts out a really nice and very accurate rifle. They are one of the few manufacturers still putting out rifles with a Mauser style action (controlled round feed, commonly called CFR, and a bear claw extractor). Most models also come with single set triggers, which are awesome for hunting or target shooting. You can simply pull the trigger like any other single stage, or you can push it forward, or "set" it, giving you a VERY short and VERY light trigger.

From what you're saying, I would be looking at either the 550 American or 550 Varmint. The American would be better for hunting (lighter), while the Varmint would be better for target shooting (bull barrel). The American usually runs about $730 new, with the Varmint coming in at just over $800. They are a little more than a lot of the other big name production guns, but IMO are worth the extra money.

I'm pretty sure either model can be had with a detachable box magazine, but don't quote me on it.

Here's a link to their site:

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/by-category/rifles/

-Fred

17. Kenney

Kenney New Member

The Savage sounds like the best option for the money at this point. If I had more money I'd go for the CZ based off their handguns (as stupid as that sounds). I find it kind of sad they haven't figured out large caliber rifles in semi yet.

18. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

They have, but you're gonna pay out the nose for a good one.

-Fred

19. billt

billt New Member

I will say that I have a CZ 527 LUX in .223. It is a very nice, well built "mini" Mauser action. The gun is beautifully crafted of all steel and Walnut. The trigger is nice, but I'll never get used to pushing a trigger forward before pulling it. With that said the trigger is very crisp, but I much prefer the Savage Accutrigger.

20. Kenney

Kenney New Member

OK, a large caliber rifle in semi you don't have to sell body parts for.