good iwb holster for full size gun

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by potentialglock, Dec 3, 2012.

1. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

I tend to carry compact but recently I want to carry my m&p9 or possibly even 1911. Any recommendations for a holster that'll keep the gun from dragging my pants down?

2. potentialglock

Or from printing horribly? I usually wear a jacket but how can I carry in the summer?

3. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Crossbreed or something similar. Something with adjustable cant will be very heppfull in carrying a gun with a full length grip. I need at least a button down shirt to conceal a full size pistol but that is just me.

4. potentialglock

My problem is with the way my hip is shaped the grip sticks outward too. Don't quite understand why. I wish there was a way to try holsters before you buy them.

5. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Maybe try to carry behind your hip. Like 4:30-5:00.

6. potentialglock

I do. Usually around 4 position but still

7. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Well if you are carrying iwb, you might want to try to get the gun as deep into your waistband as possible. This might keep the grip closer to you. The crossbreed allows you to adjust the height. Also, if you don't have a good gun belt, you might look into one. They can make a huge difference.

8. potentialglock

I have but I need one that passes as a casual belt. Most gun belts I see are like para military looking

9. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I got a Blackhawk pancake holster for my full size M&P and it is working very well for me.:cool:
    I am 170 lbs and 6 feet tall.

10. magnumman

magnumman New Member

If you have a little disposable income, most gun leather companies make "dress belts" that are thick, high quality leather but cost as much as a holster. Any rigid multi layer belt will help even if it isn't marketed as a "gun belt"

11. potentialglock

I wanna focus on the holster for now. I need something that tuck low into my waistband but I still want the grip easily accessible. I.E. I don't want the grip under my waistband.

12. magnumman

magnumman New Member

image-2907459321.jpg

You can see that with it set this way, a little kydex is above the belt line. The clips can come up about an inch putting the gun deeper in the waistline but not so deep that the grip is beneath your belt. Also, you can adjust just one clip (as I have done) to cant the grip forward which helps prevent the shark fin.

13. potentialglock

What kind of holster is that?

14. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Crossbreed supertuck

15. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

It also comes with the "combat cut" option if you'd like a bit more grip exposed with less leather backing... some say there's a trade-off in comfort, but if you need better access, it is an option.

I have the CrossBreed SuperTuck Deluxe for my XD-40 service, and I couldn't be happier.

You might even try a 2:30 position, too, to accommodate your grip problem. Between location on the belt, height and cant adjustment I would think you will find a combination that works.

I second the "get a good gun belt" advise. It makes more difference that you might imagine - and they don't have to look tactical - or "tacti-cool" either.

For example:

http://thebeltman.net/

16. potentialglock

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you

17. magnumman

magnumman New Member

no problem, good luck

18. wiredawg24

wiredawg24 New Member

Milt Sparks summer special II. I carry a Kimber Super Pro Carry HD, I forget it's there and with the position it sets at provides a quick and easy draw and holster.

Attached Files: