Good Hunting Rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by tierone, Oct 26, 2011.

1. tierone

tierone New Member

I'm plan on getting a hunting rifle in .308. So far I've looked at the Remington 700 and that's about it. Any suggestions on what to get?

2. NativH

NativH New Member

What size dent do you want in your bank account, for just the rifle? Wood or other stock? Stainless or carbon steel barrel/action? Without getting too expensive, you can look into Savage, Ruger M77, Tikka T3, Browning A Bolt, Howa, Thompson, Weatherby etc (including your Remington 700 choice), if you want to stay below $1000. Then you can step up to Browning White Gold Medallion, Sako 85, Winchester M70 Featherweight, Kimber 84, CZ, Steyr, Weatherby, etc if you want to stay below $2000 in general. Then you step into Hill Country Rifles, Christensen Arms, ER Chaw, Blaser, Nosler and the other "custom" rifles for the sky is the limit. The above is certainly not all inclusive but it was a wide open question.

Personally, I stay in the low to middle range. I have a 700 CDL in 30-06 with stainless action and fluted stainless barrel. Great rifle that is plenty accurate with a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10. Also have a Sako 85L in 300 Win Mag with Swarovski 3-18 Z5 for those longer than 300 yard shots, a 338 Win Mag Ruger M77 Hawkeye Sporter with Simmons AETEC for the big boys at semi long range, and a 416 Rem Mag Winchester M70 in case Sasquatch or an enraged elephant wanders up to my front door;). I'd certainly love a Hill Country Rifles or Nosler but that is out of the question for now.

So what to get, other than the venerable 700, is a pretty broad question. Everyone will have a favorite, or two, or three, or .................... But in 308 you will have unlimited choices. Look at rifles that are 1/3 to 1/2 of your total budget and spend the rest on the glass. FWIW, I like controlled round feed rifles (kinda obvious from my stash) but the 700 is a fine rifle without that feature. The Sako has the smoothest action I've felt in any rifle short of a full blown custom or very high end rifle. Bottom line is you have a fun search ahead of you.

3. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

It depends how much money you have I have the savage edge in 308 and it's a good cheap rifle that shoot good for the price now its called the axis.

4. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

For affordable but great value rifles, check...

Savage Edge/Axis
    Weatherby Vanguard
    Howa 1700
    Tikka T3
    Marlin XS7

5. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

The .308 is an excellent choice. As is the Remington 700. Like the others stated... it depends on how much money you want to spend. I wanted a .308 bolt gun to use for hunting. I wanted something reliable, accurate, and affordable. I wanted a synthetic stock that didn't feel cheap. I decided on the Marlin XS7 and couldn't be happier.

6. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Krieghoff Semprio

The Semprio is pretty expensive. But, the alternative action, a slide operated bolt action rather than a traditional bolt, seems to be very fast and functional. I'd estimate the cycle rate to be about two thirds the speed of a semi-auto.

I don't have mine yet, but when I hit the lotto, that will be one of my first purchases.

[​IMG]

7. R-BOLT

R-BOLT New Member

I am a big fan of the all weather Ruger Hawkey line of rifles. Have a pair of them, very pleased with the trigger pull and out of the box accuracy. Just wished I could afford to buy a third in .223.

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have remington m700's and marlin X7's and both are great rifles. i will be adding some more of the marlin's to my collection soon in more calibers.

i have had many remington m700's over the years and hhave always had good luck with them. about two years ago i bought my first marlin X7 in 25-06 and fell in love with it's price and accuracy. since then, i have purchased two more. i like the idea of buying a nice accurate rifle at a decent price and then being able to spend more on a good scope. the savage Axis is another good choice in decent priced rifles. the mossberg ATR100 is a decent rifle, accurate, but has more felt recoil than the marlin, remington or the savage. if you are on a budget, then try gun stores and pawn shops for good used rifles, like remington m700s, ruger m77s, winchester m70s or others. i usually check out the two pawnshops in my town at least once a month to see what they have in stock.

9. tierone

tierone New Member

My price range is under $1000

10. Catfish

Catfish Member

I`m a Savage fan, mostly because I like to be able to change my own barrels, and they a by far the easiest to change yourself, and all I`ve had shot well. That said there are good and bad barrels in all brands. Most of the name brands are pretty good guns now, so I would recomand you find the one that fits you best. I would also recomand you put VX ll 3 X 9 Leuopld on it. If you have a little more money to spend a 3 1/2 X 10 VX lll is even better. I would not recomand any more power for a hunting gun. If it`s for target the more power the better, feom the bench.

11. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Great suggestion in the $5-20K range. I'm sure the OP appreciates you narrowing down the choices for him.

12. Jeff56

Jeff56 New Member

I'm thinking about an M1A1 Abrams with the M256 120 mm. :D ;) Hey if I'm going to wish I might as well wish big. For under $1000 I like Savages because you seem to get a lot of gun for your money. They make several excellent hunting rifles in that price range. So does CZ. And a whole lot of other companies.

It would help if we knew what the OP intends to hunt.

13. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

I own a 700 CDL in 30.06 and a Ruger Mark II Stainless all-weather in .223. They are both great rifles. I would really like to own a 700 Mountain LSS. I wouldn't go too cheap on a scope. Bushnell is clearanceing out their Elite 3200 and 4200 to change their line up. I'd grab one of those in 3 x 9 x 40 variable.

14. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

You should look at the Thompson Center Venture. With a 60 deg throw bolt, detachable magazine, synthetic stock, adjustable trigger and one MOA guarantee it is similar to a T3 for $100 less. They are priced around $470 and TC is offering a $50 discount if purchased before the end of the year. And they are made in the states.

Avoid Remington. I have had to send two new Remingtons (Model 7 and 597) back to factory for failure to function repairs in the past three months. Sadly, I think the reports of a decline in quality at Big Green are true.

15. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Browning X Bolt Hunter gets my vote.

16. ARrgv

ARrgv New Member

The Remington model 700 .308 police action is the out of the box accurate rife. Can be purchased by civilians.

17. ARrgv

ARrgv New Member

The manufacturer number is 5709 and made in U.S.,,browning x bolt built in Japan

18. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Not to sound wise-***, but Rem 700 is good...

Try Savage. Lately they've been ripping all

the competition a new one in the

cost:accuracy ratio.

19. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

Therewolf, you did not sound wise ***. I bought a 700ADL 30-06 in 1997 and it was a great rifle. It never failed to function and shot around one inch at 100 yards. I traded it in for a Model Seven this Summer and it had head space problems where the bolt was almost impossible to open after shooting a round. To the factory's credit, they solved the problem and returned it in three weeks. I then bought a 597 which threw the extractor plunger on the third shot and stopped functioning. One problem with a new rifle is a fluke. Two problems with new rifles in three months leads me to believe something is amiss at Big Green. This saddens me since I have been looking forward to my new Model Seven for a couple deer seasons now and I had planned to buy other Rem 700s in the coming years. I think my next rifle purchase will be from another, none Freedom Group, US maker like TC or Savage.

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

joe, check out the Marlin X7 series of rifles, you might like them. they are also owned by the Freedom Group, but i have purchased three of them over the last two years. all three perform flawlessly, and are very accurate and very reasonably priced.