Good home defense round?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by zombiehunter, Sep 18, 2012.

1. zombiehunter

zombiehunter New Member

Hi everyone, I went to range this past weekend and accidentally sent my home defense rounds down range. What a noob! Anyway, I had a magazine loaded with Hornady's critical defense rounds. Over a year a ago I had purchased them and would pocket them at the range. Not this time. I'm probably going to buy those again. But I'll take some advice.

2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I like the critical defense or Winchester pdx1.

3. oldpapps

oldpapps New Member

Caliber, chambering, etc.

For a 12 Gage, most anything will work. I favor #7 1/2 shot.
    30.06, I tend to try to stay away from FMJs.
    .308/7.62s, same as 30.06s.
    .223/5.56s, if it is a 100% feed/function, it will do.
    .45ACPs, I like 200gr SWC lead. Doesn't have to do anything but hit.
    .44 Mags, like the .45ACP, just needs to hit. Down side is most are in revolvers.
    .40S&Ws, now we get to bullet decisions. Soft enough to expand, heavy enough to carry on in (penetration), light enough to have needed velocity. I like 155gr JHPs loaded to 1050 to 1100 FPS. Controllable and a double tap or two will do the needed job.
    Any pistol round smaller than 40 cal is not for me.

I load all of mine. Many other don't. As I don't shop around, I don't know/care whats out there. I'm happy with my views.
    What scares me is that you only had enough for one mag.

I feel that I haven't helped you in your quest. Sorry.

4. genesis

genesis New Member

Hi Zombiehunter. Using today's modern, state-of-the-art, common self defense ammo, the 9MM, 357 Sig, 40S&W, and 45ACP all perform about equally well as they're all loaded to FBI handgun protocols. There's not a dimes worth of difference between them. So take your pick. I use the Hornady Critical Defense ammo in my Ruger SR40C. But don't get to caught up with the ammo thing. Your handgun skills (practical, tactical, and marksmanship) and presence of mind is what will save your buns, not a particular bullet or caliber. And your practice needs to include much more than target practice. You need to practice defensive drills, over, and over, and over. A lot of public ranges may not allow this kind of practice. Find a place where you can.

Don <><

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I think we need a little more information. What type and caliber weapon are you using?

For me personally I use Federal HSTs if it’s a semi auto and Speer Gold Dots for my revolvers. 12 ga gets loaded with 2 ¾” 00 buckshot, I prefer Federal LE loads or you can get their flight control wad at Dick’s or Wal Mart. It is also available in a reduced recoil.

6. zombiehunter

zombiehunter New Member

It's a SIG PRO sp2022 in a 9mm

7. zombiehunter

zombiehunter New Member

There were 15 rounds in that magazine and two other 15 round magazines full of jacketed rounds. If that wasn't enough then It'd be a job for the AR or the 12 gauge.

8. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

Is it still possible to get Federal HSTs? I havent seen them in a long time.

9. zombiehunter

zombiehunter New Member

Hydra shock?

10. spittinfire

11. oldpapps

oldpapps New Member

"There were 15 rounds in that magazine and two other 15 round magazines full of jacketed rounds. If that wasn't enough then It'd be a job for the AR or the 12 gauge."

I feel better with this information. Not a fan of the 9MM but it will work. Good for you.

12. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

Thanks. Ill keep looking.

Did they just stop producing them or something, and now its just private owners that let them trickle into the market?

Not a big fan of hydros. A while ago a LEO friend of mine was telling me about some testing done, so I got curious. We tried them on a few hogs that had died from disease on a neighbors land, and he was right. They had about a forty five percent failure to expand rate compared to their ten percent failure rate in Gel. Granted the conditions were not exactly scientific. But good enough to prove the point to me. The HST's only failed fifteen percent of the time.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  13. spittinfire

I found similar results with hydrashocks. HSTs are really a round intended for LEOs only so you have to wait for them to trickle out into the market. While it is a bit expenisve I try to find a lot of them and buy that. In doing so I'm well stocked in SD ammo for extended periods and it allows me to cycle my carry ammo. Once I get down to 100rds, I start looking for another lot.

14. spittinfire

A quite search on gunbroker resulted in a number of auctions for HSTs in a wide variety of flavors.

15. msup752

msup752 New Member

Places like SGAmmo have HST and several local companies stock them.
    HST is way better than hydro shocks. Don't get them mixed up! HST's don't have the center post.

16. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

Thanks, Ill do some looking around there after the auction this weekend. Should hopefully have some extra cash then.

17. zombiehunter

zombiehunter New Member

I thought I'd get more reviews for the critical defense rounds. Not any mentions of of them really. Have you guys not tried them? I think they work great. I did a test with 3 jugs of water and news paper shreds. (I've read that the news paper shreds in the water is a good good ballistics test). Great expansion, just barely penetrated the third jug and I found the projectile and even the little red expansion thing within an inch next to it. I like it. I'm surprised to not hear more about them.

18. spittinfire

I never tested them and I don't have much interest in them, here's why.....They are a very light bullet. I like 45 ACP so we'll use that for example. The Critical Defense bullet is 185gr which is the lightest standard load for that round. I've tested some 185gr bullets and I find them to be OK. Take the HSTs I prefer, 230gr +p...heavy bullet being pushed as fast as possible. I like this idea. A heavy bullet will carry momentum and push thru things that would stop a lighter bullet. Which would you rather stop with no brakes, a bus or a mini van?

I'm not trying to start the light/fast vs heavy/slow debate....it's just my opinion.

19. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

Your good or speer gold dot, I love the "mostest"

20. GunNut3123

GunNut3123 New Member

I gotta say, I didn't read everyone else's responses, but I got the main gist of the responses... Advice about self defense rounds. Just from your original post, I would have to say that it's probably a happy accident that you shot those rounds. In my SDA class, they said its a good idea to shoot the ammo normally stored in the mags about every 6 months. It's expensive to keep going through SD rounds, but (using PDX1 as an example) shooting $20-$25 worth of ammo every 6months is well worth making sure that the ammo in your mags is going to fire. Loading and unloading the same ammo multiple times can cause some weird stuff to happen to the casing. I'm sure there are plenty of people that will disagree with this, but for my piece of mind $20ish is well worth it.