Good gun with cheap ammo?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by texaswoodworker, Nov 19, 2011.

1. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I have been thinking about getting a new (new to me anyway) milsurp that I could shoot at the range pretty cheaply. Does anybody know of some good old milsurps (other than mosins) that can be had for under $300 (will go up to $400 if it is a really great gun) and that fires super cheap ammo?

Thanks.

2. RufusTFirefly

RufusTFirefly New Member

Not sure if it meets your 'super cheap ammo' requirement, but the first milsurp that comes to my mind in your price range would be one of the Mauser variants.
    Best deals on ammo might be bulk purchase at your local gunshow.

Rufus

3. Hinermad

Hinermad New Member

Or maybe consider reloading.

Dave

4. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Some of the ones that come to mind are the Mausers, the SKS, and the Swiss K31.

5. texaswoodworker

Thanks for the help Rufus. I just looked up a yugo mauser. it is under $300 and surplus ammo can be bought for about $40 for 150 rounds. Doe anybody have any experience with this rifle?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  6. texaswoodworker

I may have to try that too.

I like the swiss, it's about the same price as the yugo, and that ring for the bolt handel is kind of cool. Ammo is a little pricier though.

A yugo sks is about the same price too. the ammo is about the same as the yugo mauser too.

This will not be an easy choice.

Thanks for the help.

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The cheapest ammo right now is the 5.45x39 Russian. About $145/1000. You might be able to find an AK74?? but you can get a new Saiga rifle chambered for it for $300-$400. Too bad there were no bolt rifles chambered for it.

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

A bolt gun in that round would be pretty sweet. Any one think a .223 or something similar could be rechambered? Maybe a 6.8? I don't know much about that kind of thing, but I would think it would have to start out at a smaller chamber than the 5.45X39 and be reamed out.

Texas, my current wish list right now is, first and foremost, My first 1911. It's a must. Next on the list, I'm really, really, really leaning toward a Swiss K31.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

Apparently there is one, pretty cool history to it, but I've read the rifle itself aint all that.

DDR SSG82 sniper rifle (5.45x39)

Seems to be pretty pricey too, one site was asking 3500Euro.

10. texaswoodworker

I think for 3500 euros, I would go with a real dragunov or a barrett .50 cal:eek:

Ok, I think I have narrowed it down to a few choices.

yugo m48 mauser-8mm ($305)

nagant revolver-7.62x38r ($135) if I can find one locally that is for sale by a person, not a store (stupid 21 y/o handgun law)

romanian tokarev ttc-7.62x25mm ($289) same problem as above

stevens model 5000-12ga ($375)

yugo sks-7.62x39 ($295)

I'm kind of leaning towards the mauser. I read up on the 8mm and it is supposed to be simular to the 30-06. It has about the same kick, and certain loads (european military) can match the 30-06.
    I also kind of want to get the nagant too. I may have to try to get both.
    What do you all think?

11. JTJ

I did not know about that German rifle but that price is way to steep. I know CZ makes a 527 carbine in 7.62x39 and 223. I wonder if they thought about 5.45x39? It is probably not that popular. I have seen AR uppers available.

12. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I would suggest a Russian SKS... It was my first mil-surp, and still one of my favorites!:D
    I like the Russian ones the best, Ive shot ones from other countrys but they seem "cheap"... But that could just be me...... Yugo ones are alright, but I dont care for all that grenade crap, and they look hideous....

13. texaswoodworker

I'm still stuck between the mauser and the sks. (with the nagant on the side. :D) I like that the mauser is powerful, accurate, and reliable with very cheap ammo but the sks is fast, pretty accurate, and also has super cheap ammo. It's a hard choice. I can't find a low priced russian sks. I saw one for sale within my price limit, but it has been modified and tacticooled. (not a big fan of tacticool).

14. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

What are the Ruskies going for in your area? At the last gunshow, I seen a few in the $350 range....

I second the pass on the tacticool one... I tried to turn one of mine into a faux "Dragunov" and ended up making a nice, light carbine into a heavy, cumbersome rifle that wont ever be a tack driver.... It sure looked cool and got me my 1903 though!! :D

15. JTJ

AMMOMAN.COM
    Yugoslavian 7.62x39=$249/1260 shipped.

16. texaswoodworker

I'm not sure what they are in my area. I've been looking online.

Thank you for the links. I may end up getting both now. :D

Thanks for the link for the ammo.

17. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Hey, JP I never seen a Yugo without all the grenade stuff... Thats pretty neat!

I think the ammo JTJ posted is the same yugo stuff I have, if it is it was designed for the SKS and will be prepackaged on stripper clips

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  18. texaswoodworker

Is there anything wrong with having the grenade launcher on it or is it just a personal preference?

I don't mind the look of the grenade launcher and the rifle with it is cheaper than the rifle without it. I wonder why.

19. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Just personal prefence.... They still shoot great...
    The version with the grenade launcher is newer would be my guess?