Good Gun Shop in Houston

Discussion in 'Texas Gun Forum' started by Kamarathin, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Kamarathin

Kamarathin New Member

Hello all,

I'm looking for recommendations for a solid gun shop in Houston. I currently live on the northwest side near the 6.

My friends swear by Collector's Firearms and I do like the store, but their prices are pretty high.

Any and all comments are welcome.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

when i lived in Houston years ago, i did a lot of shopping at Carter's Country. their prices were decent and they always had a good selection of firearms to choose from. there use to be three of them around Houston and they were pretty big stores. one even had a bargain rack and i bought a couple of bargain rifles and refinished them. bought a lot of 12ga ammo there when we were doing sporting clays. might see if they are still around.

3. Kamarathin

Kamarathin New Member

They definitely are and I think they're up to 4 stores now.

I'll look into them.

4. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

Carter's Country is still around. Their prices are lower than Collectors, but still higher than the big chain stores. I have bought two pistols from Carter's, just because I couldn,t find them elsewhere.
    I have had some good luck with Fountians Firearms.
    I have heard really good thigs about Republic Firearms.
    Nobody though can beat the prices Academy sells their firearms for, if they have what you are looking for.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

how many of the Carter Country's are there now? there were only three when i lived there many years ago. i really liked going in their stores, as they had a good selection and were well stocked. and their prices were decent also.

i bought a Remington 870 Express at Academy in Houston years ago. they had some decent prices too.

6. johnbrowning

johnbrowning New Member

Memorial/Spring Branch
    Murphy Rd HWY 59
    Spring store w/shooting range
    Pasadena

7. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

I have heard great things from two of my close friends about Tactical Firearms in Katy.
    Both told me the people were very nice, the store had a great selection, and the prices are guarenteed to be the cheapest.

8. Kamarathin

Kamarathin New Member

Do you folks know what the transfer fees are for some of these shops?

I know that Collectors is $85 + taxes and I'm not sure if that is pricey or not.

9. gollygee

gollygee New Member

That sounds way high! Transfers here in my area of east Texas run for nothing up to $35! But then, I guess everthang's higher in houston. :)

10. Kamarathin

Kamarathin New Member

Visited these guys yesterday and I am a convert. Excellent store and though my first sales rep was a nice combination of apathetic and arrogant, the second rep I spoke to (Neil) was fantastic and single handedly won my wife and I over. :D

11. TexasARGunna

TexasARGunna New Member

I used to frequent academy for ammo & gander mtn.

I've spent lots of time gawking in collectors.

Never stepped foot into Carter's after several bad experiences with rude employees via phone.

Jim Pruetts(sp) out on Huffmeister is ok, kinda pricey.

I've been to Tactical Firearms(only once while my wife was picking up her wedding dress next door) while we were in town, VERY nice selection and awesome customer service! Even when I told them I wasn't buying but was just "killing time" the gentleman who was helping me was beyond helpful and quite knowledgeable. Asked what kind of shooting I like, recommended several guns to consider for my next purchase, overall HIGHLY recommend to anyone in the area! I would make them "my" shop if we still lived in Houston/Texas

12. shipwreck

shipwreck New Member

Check out Houston Gun Store at 14919 Stuebner Airline #2. He has a $69 CHL class and a $10 FFL transfer fee with a CHL.

13. Regmo

Regmo New Member

AJC sports opened up off Fry road in Katy. They have the best prices and a huge selection and even Tactical Firearms said they couldn't touch there prices. I've bought about 4 guns in 3 months from them. Check them out, they have people working there that you prolly know more than, so go in with an idea of what your looking for. But they are getting more knowledgable.

14. Kamarathin

Kamarathin New Member

Cool. I'll check them out.

15. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Top Gun between Westheimer and Richmond is a great gun shop. Their indoor range is also very good.

16. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

if you ever get out to the breham area (bout an hour from houston), independence firearms is something else (more guns crammed into one store than i have ever seen). also right next to ammo to go.....pretty sweet set up.

17. johnbrowning

johnbrowning New Member

It is good, but, no magnums or rifles bigger than .223.

18. invalidalias

invalidalias New Member

I have visited Full Armor Firearms off i10 feeder(eastbound) near Kirkwood Dairyashford. Google them. Super knowlegeable and very friendly. Theyll let you hold any firearm in there. Theres a fellow in there in a wheel chair, bless his heart, real friendly, knowlegeable too. and great prices. Their transfer fees are great, and they are a class 3 as well.
    Check Defensive and Concealed Guns off Memorial and Dairy Ashford $25 for transfer fee.
    Really $85 at Collectors????
    I saw a DE 50 cal there for 2100-2200 and Full Armor had it for 1799. Collectors is nice to check out and really no one bothers you but if I want info and are ready to buy, im going to Full Armor

19. Beastazz

Beastazz New Member

I like shooters station in Conroe

20. Beastazz

Beastazz New Member

Yes indeed. Independence is great. Everyone should visit them. They claim to have over 3000 guns in stock.