Good Full Sized 9mm

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Commocarl, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

Hey guys.
    I really don't want to start an argument amongst all of you. I promise.
    I have been looking to buy a handgun for quite some time. A handgun is alot more personal decision than a rifile. There are lots more things to consider and if it just "feels right" in your hands.

It will be for home protection and target shooting to get more familiar with it. I have narrowed it down to a 9mm. My reasons are, I don't want a cannon that only I can handle. I don't really want the round to leave the room. 9mm ammo is cheaper that .40 S&W.

I am familiar with the 1911, I was in the navy for 8 years, so I would like something with similar action, controls, and multiple safetys. I don't want anything flashy, crome and nickle plating are out. I just want a good serviceable handgun that is easy to do my own maintenance and repairs.

Money is not too much of a concern, If it will last me many years, but I am not a guy that has to have the most expensive anything, I drive a Ford pickup, if that says anything.

I am a 6' man and don't really like the small conceal carry guns. The short barrel, the tiny grip that I can cramp 3 fingers in is really not for me.

On my rifles I'm old school, wood and steel, I am not carrying these prejudices to a handgun. As you guys have probably handled more different kinds pistols than I ever will, I thought I would ask you.

I know all handguns have a following and really would rather this be a friendly conversation. I will not announce my decision in this thread because of this.

Thanks everyone

2. okdonk

okdonk New Member

My suggestion is Glock 17. Check it out amd try it. Just an opinion. ;)

3. marc29th

marc29th New Member

Sounds like you'd like either a CZ 75b or a Browning High-Power both are classic 9mm's.

4. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Marc -- u read my mind. I luv my Hi-Power, however, today, I'd DEFINITELY be focusing on a CZ75/CZ85 model or a Sig Sauer P 226 if I were the OP.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  5. nukinfuts29

nukinfuts29 New Member

Make that two votes.

6. marc29th

marc29th New Member

Yeah the OP's post just seemed to call out for one of these two pistols. I've been looking at the CZ 75's for a while now and I'm planning on picking one up Friday when I get paid.

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Since you were in the Navy and had training with a Beretta (depending on the years you served) you might stick with what you know. Glocks really are decent pistols and fairly easy to teach others in the family to use.
    Sig is another that comes to mind.
    Of course marc29th gave an excellent suggestion with the Browning and CZ.
    Smith and Wesson's new M&P line is pretty nice, but for a bargain gun that is worth more than they currently sell for, you might try to find one of the older generation S&W autos, like the 39 or 59 series. If you prefer metal guns, these are good performers and a lot of police forces have moved away from them as they move to polymer framed guns. I've seen a few in shops around me for under $400. Mags are fairly easy to find as well. I think these will also go up in price again once the supply dries up.

I'm not really loyal to any one brand, but if you do get a chance to try some of these pistols first, it really can make a difference if you find a gun that does "fit" you, and your needs and desires.

As far as "not wanting the rounds to leave the room", the 9mm may just surprise you in how much penetration it has. It will go through several layers of drywall and still be leathal. You can check out a web site called the box-o-truth where he yested several calibers and their ability to penetrate drywall. The results are worth checking out.

8. Werminator

Werminator Member

CZ-75, Glock 17, Glock 19, Ruger SR9, M&P 9, XDM9, High Power, FNP9, FNX9, there are too many and they are all very good in their own right...

9. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Two pistols that need to be considerd are the Sig Sauer P229 and a Beretta 92fs. Both are great 9mm. Good luck and enjoy.

10. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Yeah, I wouldn't overlook a Beretta 92 either (not Taurus'!). The CZ 75 is used by Delta, the Sig 226 by SEALs, and the 92, of course, replaced the Colt 1911 in our military generally. The UK's SAS still use the Browning Hi-Power (P-35 to them)!

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Browning Hi Power hands down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Cane, I think you just like to show that off and make everyone jealous. :p

13. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

Wow that was quick.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Lots of homework to do before I visit the LGS.

This is exactly what I was looking for.

SSGN_Doc I am too old to have handled a Beretta in the Navy. The way the Navy issues weapons, I would be supprised if a shipboard sailor actually carries one to this day. When I got out in '96 we were still using M-14's shipboard.

14. JigSawer40

JigSawer40 New Member

15. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Since it sounds like you want a metal framed gun, there are three guns I'm going to strongly endorse:

Browning Hi-Power
    CZ 75
    Sig Sauer P226

I'm not going to waste any time telling you one is better than the next. They're all outstanding enough that it's really not worth the effort to try and make a case. All that matters is choosing the one with the fit and features that you prefer. These three guns are rock solid service pistols with a ton of real-world work under their belts. The BHP, CZ 75, and P226 have been working (and relatively unchanged) for about 80, 40, and 30 years respectively. And not one feels the least bit antiquated.

The Beretta 92 is another option...not one I'm partial to for various personal reasons, but a lot of folks are extremely happy with theirs.

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

When you get to my age, showing off is all I got! Well that and I do shoot pretty gud. [​IMG]

17. doofous

doofous New Member

From what you said, I'd say the Sig 226, 229 or 2022, or else the HK USP9 would be a very good choice. I love the 1911 (have several) but the guns above are IMHO are as reliable and accurate, but easier to shoot well, and not outrageously costly. I freely admit to prejudice for hammers, decockers and SA/DA guns all of which make the gun more versatile and safe.

18. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I came in 94 during the Navy transition. My original quals were done with a 1911 and M14. Next quals were with Beretta and M16.

Since the attack on the COLE and 9/11 the Navy does a lot more small arms handling, and shipboard, all watchstanders are required to qualify twice a year. Even on submarines we have to qual the guns onboard: Beretta M9, M16, M590A1 shotgun and the Mk46 SAW. Get an assault or domestic violence charge on your record and it can be grounds for discharge becaues it keeps a sailor ineligible to handle weapons, and if they can't stand an armed watch they can be kicked out.

They do make decent 1911s in 9mm as well.

19. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

I had a Ruger SR9C, but you might want to check out the fullsize sr9. I picked up a beretta 92 and prefer it to my Ruger I had. Many of the guns mentioned already with the exception of the glock, were ones that I was looking at. To be fair I did try a glock but didn't like the feel. The cz, browning, sig, beretta and ruger are all great, reliable guns.

20. Donn

Donn Active Member

What Doc said. The M-9 has everything you're looking for, albeit it's a little big and heavy for concealed carry. Checking out the website's a good idea too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.