Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was 12, I got my first 12 gauge shotgun. My son is turning 14, and I plan on getting him a 12 gauge. We won't be using it for hunting or skeet shooting, just target practice. Should I get him one with sights or a rib and what barrel size?
Thanks, Brett

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I would get him.something with a vent rib with a little bit shorter barrel like a 24" because in my opinion it is a little bit easier to handle

·
Premium Member
14,436 Posts
Get one with switch barrel capability.

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
The 20 ga. below would be a strong recommendation. Good for damn-near anything and it'll be useful for a lifetime. They make different barrel lengths and have a slug barrel with rifle sights combo set too.

If your heart is set on a 12 ga click the link under this... He can always replace the rear stock or have an insert added later in life.
http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotguns-pump-action-500-bantam-all-purpose/52132

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the information guys. I have a lot to think about now. Another question I have is will a full size gun fit him, or does he need a youth sized gun, cause id love to get him a 870, Since it was my first gun. He's 5'3 and 135 pounds.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
At 5'-3" he is going to need a shorter stock. Remington and Mossberg both offer youth models, and I think one of the synthetic makes offers a shorter stock that fits a 12 gauge 870.

·
Premium Member
22,674 Posts
The Remington 11-87 youth model in 20guage would be ideal.

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
Note: the decent Remington you grew up with is NOT the quality they meet today.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Have you had any experience with the Stoeger? The Stoeger coach gun supreme has really good reviews online.
Stoeger is the importer and they deal with some decent brands. my Stoeger Condor O/U is a very well made shotgun for the price. no, it's no $2000 Browning Citori, but it's still a decent shotgun.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
axxe55 said:
Stoeger is the importer and they deal with some decent brands. my Stoeger Condor O/U is a very well made shotgun for the price. no, it's no $2000 Browning Citori, but it's still a decent shotgun.
Wouk it fit my son?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Wouk it fit my son?
The best advice I can offer is take him along, and let him hold shoulder and point as many scatter guns as you can, and let him decide which fit him the best! I'm 6'2 and my favorite shotgun ro hunt with is a Nef model490 topper Jr single shot 20 ga, its a youth model and I absolutely love shooting it, it belonged to my wifes dad, and he passed when she was six, so I never got to meet him, but when I'm squirrel hunting with it or shooting it, I always have the vibe that he is with me, smiling seeing his gun put to good use, it will be my child's first shotgun when the time is right. Here's some pictures from some hunts its been on with me, they are inexpensive, and can have other barrels put on them as well.

ForumRunner_20130210_202150.jpg

ForumRunner_20130210_202236.jpg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts