Good first shotgun for my son??

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by PeaShooter22, Feb 9, 2013.

1. PeaShooter22

PeaShooter22 New Member

When I was 12, I got my first 12 gauge shotgun. My son is turning 14, and I plan on getting him a 12 gauge. We won't be using it for hunting or skeet shooting, just target practice. Should I get him one with sights or a rib and what barrel size?
    Thanks, Brett

2. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

The Mossberg FLEX 500 is nice.

3. PeaShooter22

PeaShooter22 New Member

Seems like a nice gun. Ill have to check it out next time I'm in the gun store.

Thanks, brett

4. akers06

akers06 New Member

I would get him.something with a vent rib with a little bit shorter barrel like a 24" because in my opinion it is a little bit easier to handle

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Get one with switch barrel capability.

6. PeaShooter22

PeaShooter22 New Member

What about he stock and foregrip? Wood or synthetic? Does it matter? Will one be more durable?

7. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

Synthetic cost less and is more durable.

8. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

The 20 ga. below would be a strong recommendation. Good for damn-near anything and it'll be useful for a lifetime. They make different barrel lengths and have a slug barrel with rifle sights combo set too.

If your heart is set on a 12 ga click the link under this... He can always replace the rear stock or have an insert added later in life.
    http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotguns-pump-action-500-bantam-all-purpose/52132

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  9. PeaShooter22

PeaShooter22 New Member

Thanks for all the information guys. I have a lot to think about now. Another question I have is will a full size gun fit him, or does he need a youth sized gun, cause id love to get him a 870, Since it was my first gun. He's 5'3 and 135 pounds.

10. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

At 5'-3" he is going to need a shorter stock. Remington and Mossberg both offer youth models, and I think one of the synthetic makes offers a shorter stock that fits a 12 gauge 870.

11. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The Remington 11-87 youth model in 20guage would be ideal.

12. PeaShooter22

PeaShooter22 New Member

How about a double barrel aka a Stoeger Coach Gun like this one. It has a 20 inch barrel and is a relatively shorter gun. What do you think?

Attached Files:

13. PeaShooter22

PeaShooter22 New Member

Double barrel?

It seems like a great gun and he has wanted a double barrel since he was 12.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  14. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Note: the decent Remington you grew up with is NOT the quality they meet today.

15. PeaShooter22

PeaShooter22 New Member

Have you had any experience with the Stoeger? The Stoeger coach gun supreme has really good reviews online.

16. akers06

akers06 New Member

Stoeger makes the best coach guns...That's what they are mostly known for

17. PeaShooter22

PeaShooter22 New Member

Do you think it would fit my son?

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Stoeger is the importer and they deal with some decent brands. my Stoeger Condor O/U is a very well made shotgun for the price. no, it's no $2000 Browning Citori, but it's still a decent shotgun.

19. PeaShooter22

PeaShooter22 New Member

Wouk it fit my son?

20. cgersty

cgersty New Member

The best advice I can offer is take him along, and let him hold shoulder and point as many scatter guns as you can, and let him decide which fit him the best! I'm 6'2 and my favorite shotgun ro hunt with is a Nef model490 topper Jr single shot 20 ga, its a youth model and I absolutely love shooting it, it belonged to my wifes dad, and he passed when she was six, so I never got to meet him, but when I'm squirrel hunting with it or shooting it, I always have the vibe that he is with me, smiling seeing his gun put to good use, it will be my child's first shotgun when the time is right. Here's some pictures from some hunts its been on with me, they are inexpensive, and can have other barrels put on them as well.

ForumRunner_20130210_202150.jpg

ForumRunner_20130210_202236.jpg