good first semi auto rifle?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by beastmode986, May 6, 2012.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

ok so me and my dad,step dad and mom are getting foid cards soon, my step dad and dad and mom want pistols i want a rifle.
    so now to the main question wwhats a good semi auto rifle for my first real gun?(ive owned paintball guns ,pellet guns,bb guns etc etc.)
    ive been looking at the ruger 10/22 but i was also wanting something with a larger caliber but also cheap to shoot . the one thing i love about .22 are they cheap price of ammo. any suggestions are appreciated

2. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Your best bet is the 10/22 for the fun and price of ammo cant beat it, How large a caliber were you thinking?

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

How bout an AR-15 with a .22 upper?

When you want to move to a larger caliber, you could go 5.56x45/223, 7.62x39 or a handful of other calibers.

4. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I'd actually suggest a bolt-action .22 to learn on as a semi-auto more easily reinforces some poor technique. But if semi-auto it must be I agree w/the Ruger 10/22, however, I would have to include the Volquartsen Hammer Kit to make the trigger better (cheap enough, and easy to swap parts).

You'll shoot .22 LR your entire life, and it is a good gun for now and the rest of your life as well.

It is easy early on to be a little underwhelmed by the diminutive .22, but you'll always get back to basics and return to the .22.

A bolt-action .223 would be my only other possible consideration...

5. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

If there is one thing we all can agree upon on this forum, it is every one needs a .22 or two or three.

I can understand Hocka's reason for the bolt action, but hey... it's a .22. A 22 can be the most fun gun you have. Go for the semi-auto if you want. Ruger 10/22, Marlin 60, S&W AR15-22 (my rifle) are all great guns.

If you want a centerfire rifle, I'd recommend an AR in 223/5.56. It will run you quite a bit more than the .22.

6. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

The Ruger 10-22 or the little Browning breakdown 22 are great SECOND rifles to own. IMHO, the first rifle should be a bolt action 22 LR. CZ-USA, model 452 or its recent replacement is a good one to consider.

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with the AR-15 with a .22LR conversion kit.:D

8. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

10/22...............

9. MrWray

MrWray New Member

+1,000,000

10. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

+1

I have a 10/22 with a Bushnell Dusk & Dawn 3-9x40 Multi-X, so much fun to shoot. :D

11. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

For a .22, Id get a Marlin or 10/22... .22 ammo is super cheap.
    Im not a big fan of the 10/22 but if you into customizing, the 10/22 is the way to go......

For a larger caliber, I would recomend the SKS. It was my first gun (even before a .22) They are very forgiving and "idiot proof".... Ammo's not bad price wise..

12. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

thanks everyone, i was also considering the sks. they arent to expensive either. im not sure on .22lrr guns love the price and all but the caliber just seems a little small(fun to plink with and small game hunt but a larger caliber seems more suitable for other stuff) i consider myself somewhat of a prepper. you never know what can happen.
    so that being said im not sure what i want to get . but definently something relatively cheap, under 450$ or so seems like a good price range for me
    couldent i get an ak at that price? i love the ar15 just to expensive (from what ive seen cheap models are 600+) the sks seems like a good choice any opinions?

EDIT: ive also been considering saiga rifles and this ak( i have seen it before just never wrote down the name)
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2EA350210-1.html

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  13. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Save your money, preppie, and get Henry's .22 Mag pump action.

14. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

Hands down the Ruger 10/22 is in my opinion the best choice for what you are looking for. It is affordable and functions very well. You would really enjoy shooting it.

15. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

But like i said i like the 10/22 but iyt seems to lack stopping power what about saigas and the ak i gave a link to or the sks? Im leaning towards the 10/22 but what makes u guys reccomend it over my other options

16. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Y not your centerfire choice(s)? The fact that the ComBlock guns you're looking at you do so because they are CHEAP and sorta sexy militaria when you're really a new shooter first and foremost. That's why the .22 LR. Throw the defensive aspect in and an upgrade to a .22 Mag makes alotta sense (but not in a semi-auto).

17. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

arent there semi auto 17 hmr's? and semi auto .22 mags?

even though the guns are cheap i also heard there reliable?

18. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I won't speak for the .17 but in .22 Mag, semi-autos are NOT reliable. The case is too long and the extraction area of the case too round and smooth for the high speed of a semi-auto action. :(

19. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

:( that sux ill look into 17 hmr and 22mag. any other suggestions for different rifles? and why not the sks i heard theyre great however you have much more knowledge than me on this stuff so id like to hear from you

20. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with a SKS... Like I said it was my first! ;)