Good first handgun

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by quickdrawmcgraw, Dec 31, 2011.

1. quickdrawmcgraw

quickdrawmcgraw New Member

I Was thinking of getting a handgun and I didn't know what was good for beginners. I have plenty of experience with rifles and shotguns but I haven't owned a handgun. This handgun would be for target practice and home defense. Would really appreciate some feed back

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Since you have some firearms experience, I would certainly check out a Ruger GP 100 .357 mag with a 4 or 6 inch barrel. .357 is good for HD, but can shoot .38 spl for less expensive range time.

Start with a wheel gun, then later add a pistol, such as a 1911, Springfield XD or a Glock. You can find an example of each of these in my safe.

3. vincent

vincent New Member

+1...great advice there Gator... OP,If you can learn to shoot a revolver in DA accurately, it's a smooth transition to a pistol...not so much the other way around...speaking from experience, if I had it to do over again, I'd pick a good wheelgun to get my feet wet with first...

4. gollygee

gollygee New Member

If you get 100 replies, you'll probably get 99 different answers.:) My first handgun was a .22 revolver, then a .357 revolver. But, when I decided to get my carry license, neither of those were suited for concealed carry & I opted for a semi-auto. Basically more rounds & thinner pistol, so easier to conceal.

I lucked out & got one which needed no break-in because I didn't know enough about semi autos to even know they sometimes need break-in.:eek: They can be ammo picky, sometimes need couple hundred rounds for parts to "mate". You get past all that, I believe a good semi-auto is the best for both fun at the range & self defense, especially if you intend carrying it.

As for brand, etc. I like Bersas & have them from .380 up thru .45ACP. But, I also am addicted to 1911s in .45ACP. You really need to shop around, handling & shooting as many different ones as you can, to decide what's best for you. I may own one in 9mm one of these days, after I get all of the .45s I have on my list. ;) As for caliber, many don't think so, but I believe the .380 is a viable self defense round with the right ammo. Those pistols however, tend to be blow back design & small, so susceptable to limp wristing, ammo picky & have a pretty snappy recoil. Due to size, weight & design, 9mms tend to have less recoil, except for the sub compact ultra lights, are more reliable out of the box & the ammo is cheaper. Then, the .40 tends to be pretty snappy also compared to the .45 so many go past it to the .45. Of course, those higher calibers mean larger & heavier so if carrying it is your ultimate goal, how you dress will enter into that.

Anyway, the research & the handling/shooting is part of the fun, so have a good time! :)

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

I think revolvers are a good choice for first handguns. I think that .22s are a good choice in caliber for a first handgun, but maybe you've moved beyond that point and would like to start out with something a bit bigger.
    I like the .357 magnum, and classic S&W revolvers.

6. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Ruger SP 101 in 357 magnum with 4" barrel. Shoot 38 special for target and 357 mag for defense.

Your mixed use...entry level/target/home defense makes it had to identify the perfect gun. There will be some tradeoffs.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  7. quickdrawmcgraw

quickdrawmcgraw New Member

Thanks I really appreciate all the advice. I think I'm going to get a small .40 semi auto. My state is a conceal and carry and semi autos are better for carry

8. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'd start with a Ruger MKIII or Buckmark 22LR with the 6-7/8"

bull barrel, in 22LR. Just my opinion...

9. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

My favorite range gun is my Springfield XDm 40, but .40 is a pretty snappy round for a small gun. Find a range and rent as many as possible.

10. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

Go with a .38 revolver.

11. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

A small 40 is gonna kick pretty good. I believe a carry gun should be something ya shoot a lot. That's why I opted for the CZ82. Small enough to carry. Heavy enough to reduce recoil. And inexpensive ammo = lots of practice.
    My other carry gun is a Caz75b. I shoot the crap outa it also.

12. johnbrowning

johnbrowning New Member

Hey boat man. I am the subscriber that sent in my pics of SAA. I am considering a 9mm to add to my collection. Do you think I would be happier with the CZ 75b ,Browning Hi-power, Baretta 92? I'm leaning toward the BHP more historic.

13. Snowman

Snowman New Member

Always when buying a gun, try it first. Find a range with plenty of rental guns,and get a multirental pass. Bring ammo for any and all calibers you're looking at. Shoot lots. Like they said, 100 answers, 99 of them are different. YOU, are the only one who can say which one is best for you.
    That said, for SD, and HD, look at .380 acp and up. Check out the plastic wonder guns. Glock m&p, xd etc...

14. historydoc

historydoc New Member

A couple of years back I faced the same choice. I went to a shop that had all three in stock and got the one that felt best to me. All three great guns and I will probably end up getting all three eventually. I've had the cz75b for a few years now and shoot 100 rounds through it every two weeks. I have never had any malfunctions of any kind, so thus far it has been 100% reliable. It is by far my favorite handgun to shoot. I did pick up the cz 83 recently and it is good if you want a range .380. More expensive to shoot. The other guns are great too, though.

15. mcb

mcb New Member

Consider a Ruger GP100 or S&W 686 with a 6" barrel. Both are reliable and accurate. 357 mag is the gold standard for home defense and they'll shoot 38 spcl for plinking. GP100 is less money built like a tank, 686 is a bit lighter and more refined. Neither are ideal for ccw.

16. Riverg420

Riverg420 New Member

If your looking for a small .40 semi auto .I would recommend a Sig 239 but thats just my preferance .My advice is shoot as many differant one's as you can and go with the one you like best .

17. TX45

TX45 New Member

Also, the Ruger SR9 & SR9c are good ones.

18. historydoc

historydoc New Member

Also a great choice, although I never end up shooting 357. Shooting .38 out of a .357 makes for a fun day at the range.

19. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I always shoot .357 out of my sp101, but im a bit of a firepower/recoil junkie. I like putting high power/HD loads in it and hanging on for the ride. Just something about that mini explosion when I pull the trigger puts a smile on my face

20. mark1616

mark1616 New Member

If you've settled on a .40 compact, may I suggest renting or at least handling Glock 23 and 27, and also Ruger SR40c. I feel the .40 is the perfect carry round, and the G23 the perfect thrower.

But as usual, to each his own!