Good first brand

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by WarrenPTstud, Dec 13, 2013.

1. WarrenPTstud

WarrenPTstud New Member

Pretty much as the title states ladies and gents. What brands are good for a first ar that is decently priced (under $1000 preferably)

2. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Hard to go wrong with a S&W m&p sport. About $650

3. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

+1 on that

If you don't mind spending a little more look at the other M&P rifles and Windham Weaponry. $750-$950

4. vincent

vincent New Member

Can be a pretty extensive list, stick to the known makers if you're looking for a complete rifle, there are more quality manufacturers than there are shady ones...

Of course you can take on a build, learn a TON about your gun in the process and easily come in under $800...

But if you're looking for something in the 'shoot out of the box' category, that may not work for ya...

Check out some of the AR threads here on site, we have several very knowledgeable members here...

5. noveskenuck

noveskenuck New Member

Depending on where you live but here in North Carolina you can get a colt at Walmart for under a grand.

6. WarrenPTstud

WarrenPTstud New Member

Ive read agenttikki's thread and am really thinking about building. IMO it seems I should buy a complete one before building one that way if I mess up I still have a back up lol.

7. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

I can do all of these for well under $1,000:

Armalite
    Stag
    Rock River
    Bushmaster
    Yankee Hill Machine
    Windham Weaponry

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  8. WarrenPTstud

WarrenPTstud New Member

Where can I find all of those at? By your name im guessing it would be on a website of yours

9. samnev

samnev New Member

I have Colt, RRA, S&W, Noveske, LMT and Ruger AR 15's. My choice for an under 1K AR would be the RRA line in your price range. Great triggers and all are very accurate.

10. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

If I was going to buy one built in that range, I'd try to get an Rock River Arms.

11. thisbrucelee

thisbrucelee New Member

I love my Smith & Wesson sport it has never fail me and it shoot great! Takes all kind of ammo and for $650 you can't beat it!!

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

My first was Colt.

I recommend it. I have S&W pistols, judging by

their stout builds, and quality, I can also recommend

S&W.

DNK about the rest.

13. austin92

austin92 New Member

Can't believe no one has mentioned palmetto state armory! Probably the best bang for your buck AR's on the market right now

14. CrunchyFrog

CrunchyFrog Member

Another vote for Palmetto State Armory, whether you want a complete rifle, a "mix and match" complete upper and complete upper, or whether you want to build an AR.

Of course I may be a bit biased, being from the Palmetto State.

15. CrunchyFrog

CrunchyFrog Member

Another vote for Palmetto State Armory, whether you want a complete rifle, a "mix and match" complete upper and complete upper, or whether you want to build an AR.

Of course I may be a bit biased, being from the Palmetto State.

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

If you're looking at $1000 go fondle a Colt LE6920. In the $800 range I'd go with PSA (in fact I did and it compares well with my BCM and Daniel Defense).

17. DropZone889

DropZone889 New Member

I would go with a BCM complete upper and go with a PSA lower ( they have some great prices and great quality too) Orrrr save even more and just by both from PSA especial the uppers under the blemished list ( I nothing but minor scratch to nothing you can see or find blemished!)

Both BCM and PSA can't go wrong!!!

18. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Palmetto State Armory

19. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

S&W would probably be my choice for an entry level complete rifle, and you should come in a few hundred below budget. A good option if you want to walk out with a basic complete rifle. Also nice if you're not sure exactly what you want...because you can play with it for a while and begin planning out your ideal rifle, which you may build.

PSA is probably where you'll get the most for your money (especially if you want milspec) in the $600-1000 range. Most of their stuff involves building, but they do occasionally sell complete rifles. They also sell complete upper and lower halves, with no actual assembly required. Any lower that is ordered online will need to be transferred, which should add $20-40 to the final cost.

BCM is probably my favorite. Mostly build stuff, but they'd likely take you a couple hundred over budget. At least that's where I seem to land, with Magpul furniture, BCM bcg & ch, flip MBUS, etc.

20. WarrenPTstud

WarrenPTstud New Member

I go through basic this upcoming summer so it would be nice to have an ar that would give me the feel of an m16a2 or m4 and get me comfortable with the platform