Good first bow for deer.

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by gmaster456, Oct 11, 2012.

1. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

I'm looking for a cheap, basic, compound bow for deer hunting but I don't know a ton about bows. It won't see much heavy use. I just need something to get the job done during bow season. What's the most bang for my buck (no pun intended) I can get for $230 or less?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  2. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

3. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

You're best off, if you want my opinion, going to your local bow shop and buying a used one.

Thats just my opinion, however. I've bow hunted for a very long time, but am by no means a super pro on the many different bows...i've never owned anything but a PSE and never will :D

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

It has been a very long time since I bow hunted. You can buy a cheap compound which will probably be noisy or you can buy a good quality recurve for the same money. Go to a bow shop where you will fitted properly sized bow with the correct draw length and the correct length arrows. They should have lessons available too. You dont want to start out with bad habits. Hunting with a bow will teach you to hunt not just shoot.

5. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

I. Love. That

Such a great way to put it

6. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

Thanks. There are a few archery shops in my area although they are a bit of a drive. I'll have to stop by a few of them. I just don't want to be limited to firearm season anymore. Thanks for the help.

7. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

you can get a pretty nice recurve bow for that budget. Thats what I shoot a #50 samick sage takedown

8. CptMaF69

CptMaF69 New Member

a bear white tail 2 was my first bow......60 pound pull. killed many deer before i modified the limbs and cam. and reasonably priced

9. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

I'm using a Hoyt Charger as my first bow, it's pretty nice.