good defense ball ammo?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by macon17, Apr 11, 2012.

1. macon17

macon17 New Member

2. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I would say any 230 grain FMJ from a reputable company

3. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Guard Dog

Feeds like FMJ acts like a JHP

RBCD

I carry this, Im no expert or a professional but its what I bet my life and my families on

Check them out, I think there are a few YouTube videos out on both

4. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I'm no expert on ballistics and wound data but I honestly believe a .45 should do the job whether its in a SD load configuration or not. I stock up on Winchester white box and Federal champion. With that being said I carry +P JHPs in my 1911 so I guess my reply is somewhat contradictory and can be ignored if you so choose.:D

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The 230gr ball has worked for the military for a couple of years. It should be okay.

6. BikerRN

BikerRN New Member

If you are asking about hardball ammunition due to some law, such as New Jersey's ban on hollowpoint ammunition except for LEO's, I would urge you to look at something like the Corbon P'wrball or Federal Expanding Full Metal Jacket.

7. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

1) 45acp 230gr FMJ is a good defense round...from almost any manufacturer.

2) JHPs are almost always the better defense choice if (a)legal and (b)functional in your gun. More damage to your target, less threat to what's beyond it.

• (a) If there are legal concerns, evaluate the legality of Federal EMFJs and such.
    • (b) If you have feed issues with JHPs, try Hornady Critical Defense, CorBon Pow'rBall, Fed EMFJ, etc. There are a number of good defense rounds that feed like ball.

3) And if by chance cost is a concern, I'd be happy to point you in the direction of some affordable 45 JHPs.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  8. macon17

macon17 New Member

Im in georgia so theres nothing wrong law wise and it hasnt let me down with the hollow point ive put thru it but everyone keeps telling me thats its going to jam but i havent seen it yet....i have a springfield champion and use chip mccoy power mags its my daily carry

9. nastyogre

nastyogre New Member

Sounds to me like you should trust what your gun is telling you over what your friends are. If you haven't had any problems then use what's working. A JHP is the better SD round anyway. Yes, FMJ will kill them but it'll also go through the wall behind them too. Nice gun choice by the way. :)

10. gollygee

gollygee New Member

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, despite what folks are telling you.

11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

A buddy has a springfield range officer it has been totaly reliable with GD ammo. Find one HP your likes or send it back for some TLC. Only darn reason military ammo is hardball is because HP rounds are not legal for military to use . Find a hp that runs well. Shoot a couple hundred rounds of one ammo, if they all fire your good to go. I would be darned if I will carry a pistol that will not feed HP rounds reliably. Practice with what cheap ammo then shoot some HP to see that your on target carry the good stuff.

Since your on georgia get you some of georgia arms nice new HP defence ammo and see if your pistol likes it. Good gold bullets are used too.

12. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

My thoughts also :cool:

13. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

When I was in the military nothing walked away from anything I shot out of a .45 Colt 1911. Even a head shot from the wadding in the .45 blank cartridge is a man-killer.

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

i use 230grn hp in the mag in the gun. i carry 230grn fmj in the spare mag. if by some wierd chance im pinned down and need to shoot through a barrier to survive a mag swap isnt unreasonable giving me excellent penetration with the fmj.

if your gun runs hp just fine stick with it.

15. macon17

macon17 New Member

Yeah thanks ima go run a few boxes thru it this weekend and do my own test...thanks for the info guys

16. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The phrase "everybody says" should be carefully evaluated.

I prefer the phrase "(add name here) says, and this is the reference".

"Everybody says" is what starts most unproven "facts".