Good Deal????

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by LotzORemmies, Mar 18, 2010.

1. LotzORemmies

LotzORemmies New Member

I have the opportunity to purchase a K98 mauser in 270 weatherby mag along with the K98's original scope. Purchase price is $290. The gun is in absolutely great shape and shows very little wear with the exception of the finish rubbed off on the scope eye piece.

What do you guys think????

2. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

According to gun broker this is a very good buy.

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

If the scope is an original WW2 german 4x, 6x, 8x it is worth huge money. How is the scope mounted?

4. LotzORemmies

LotzORemmies New Member

not sure what you mean, but it has the rings that sandwich the scope and screw above the scope.

Edit: It's not mounted with a side mount, raising the scope a few inches above the rifle, just a standard mount.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  5. LotzORemmies

LotzORemmies New Member

I don't believe the stock is original.

6. Wambli

Wambli New Member

I don't think a standard 98 military action is long enought fit a .270 Weatherby. Are you sure of the caliber. Is it maybe a commercial action? In any case it would be a heck of a deal.

7. LotzORemmies

LotzORemmies New Member

Swiped it! The scope on the rifle is also non original. But it is an Alaskan ALL-WEATHER 2.5x scope!! These have been selling for 400+ by themselves!

Pic's will be posted in ten days when I get to pick it up. The stock on it is a one off hand carved piece that looks to be period correct, but I'll be ordering an original k98 stock as well.

8. LotzORemmies

LotzORemmies New Member

It has the eagle with nazi markings on the receiver, but looks to have been re-chambered later on.

9. Wambli

Wambli New Member

If that is the case that is a very interesting conversion that I would love to see pictures of. Good score!

10. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Would be funny if the code was rare and it would have been a $1200.00 rifle in original configuration.

11. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

Awsome score! Mauser is next on my list.

12. LotzORemmies

LotzORemmies New Member

This gun will likely go up for sale when I get it as I need to finish my 700 project. HS stock and custom bolt don't come cheap. As of right now, asking price is $850. Already been offered $650 by multiple people. It's pretty much the ultimate big game mauser imo. I don't hunt, so spending $80 for a box of decent ammo just isn't in the cards for me as I'm just a paper puncher. Pics will be up as soon as I get it home.

13. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

You're not making sense. You stated that you bought the gun for $290 and you want $850 for it.

14. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Reminds me of the "great" deals you see at the gun shows.:rolleyes:

15. Wambli

Wambli New Member

I gotten that lucky a few times. Bought a Peruvian Mauser from a gunstore for $129. I knew nothing about old military rifles back then but it was a pretty gun. A few years later after I dound out what I had I sold it in Gunbroker for $900 IIRC to a dealer tha specializes in such animals. Hopefuly someone that collects miltary Mausers and will appreciate it ended up with a very nice gun.

16. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Nothing is ever worth any more than someone is willing to pay for it.

Nothing worse than buying a gun for a high priice because it's "the" hot collectable at the time only to have it depreciate when the market gets flooded with them later.

Doesn't happen often in the gun trade but it does happen.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  17. LotzORemmies

LotzORemmies New Member

I can part it out and easily make triple the money I bought it for. I only bought it because it was just a great deal, I'm not even a huge fan of mausers. The guy had literally just put it on the shelf of his shop and was looking for info on the scope. I went home quickly, posted this up and did some research, and then quickly returned to buy it. Purely for investment purposes.

18. LotzORemmies

LotzORemmies New Member

OK. So I shot the K98 today. WOW. This thing is a total tack driver. slightly under minute of angle at 100 yards, multiple times. I don't think I'll be selling it anytime soon. Shoots better than my 700 in every way, but I'll have to start reloading very soon, as decent ammo is $90 for a box of 20 (copper bullets...... comifornia).

When I cleaned it, there was an odd green substance that came out. Any help there? Did I destroy the value of the gun because of cleaning? hope not. Anyway around, I'm a very happy camper at the moment.

EDIT: Looking for camera now.... post pics soon!

19. efaz1

efaz1 New Member

Green = copper. Probably hasn't been cleaned for some time, maje sure to get a good cleaning compound through that until it comes out looking like it went in, something that dissolves copper and lead would be best.

20. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

It's normal and desirable to clean the copper bullet jacket fouling from the barrel when you clean it. That's the green stuff that you saw. Get an aggressive solvent that will completely clean all the fouling out, and clean properly until it's all out.