Good deal?

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by LotzORemmies, Jan 11, 2010.

1. LotzORemmies

LotzORemmies New Member

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

What are you putting it on? Caliber? All the above are VG scopes.

3. LotzORemmies

LotzORemmies New Member

putting it on a remington 700 sps-v in 22-250. Currently has a BSA platinum 6-24 by 44.

4. Bolosniper

Bolosniper New Member

You get what you pay for in optics..... generally. If the scope has a budget price, the optical quality of the glass suffers. The price of the scope will generally reflect how much the manufacturer had to pay for the optical glass. High quality optical glass is hard to beat, especially in low light conditions, extreme range, and when cranked up to the highest power the scope has in it's variable range. It's all about clarity and resolution.

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

For a speed demon like the 22-250, higher power may be in order. I put a Bushnell 4-12 on my CZ 527V .223. What I found is it was not enough for 300 yard shots on small vermin. I changed to a Sightron SII 6.5-20x42mmAO. It makes all the difference in the world. It made it easier to find and dispatch woodchucks at 300+ yards. All that shows in the fields is their heads when the hay is high. Great for Coyotes and fox at distance also.

6. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I know that Millet manufactures fine rings and bases but not quite sure if they manufacture their scopes. I'd do a little research as to who manufactures the scopes for Millet.

7. Hobo Bob

Hobo Bob New Member

Redfield is back in business, being built in Oregon. A good 3x9x40 runs $150. Great optics.

8. LotzORemmies

LotzORemmies New Member

Those look nice, but I'm looking for something with a min 16x magnification.

Those Sightrons look nice too, but for what I'd pay, I might as well get the 4200 I was looking at.

9. Zacsquatch

Zacsquatch New Member

I swear by Nikon... I do like the elites with firefly but please dont cheap out.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I have a Millet Buck Silver I acquired in a trade. Been shooting it for 4 years. Excellent scope- as are the others named.

11. KRAGGY69

KRAGGY69 New Member

it seems optics is a subject that people tend to be very passionate about:confused: i was in the same boat as you lotzoremmies 3months ago.but i was allowed only 75 bucks from my checkbooknazi wife (jk)i researched alot and planet optics was very helpful to me you get to look and lots of reviews.i emailed them with some questions and in two hours they answered all of my questions.i would seriously consider what specs you need not want and go from there,definitly pick a company with good customer support and a lifetime warranty at minimum;)

12. LotzORemmies

LotzORemmies New Member

Good to hear a review from a millet owner. Thank you! (this puts the millet back in the race)

13. LotzORemmies

LotzORemmies New Member

Thanks for the advice. So what did you end up getting for glass? (and what did you put it on?)

14. LotzORemmies

LotzORemmies New Member

15. LotzORemmies

LotzORemmies New Member

Picked up my scope and had it mounted, but later found that the scope had been slightly crushed during shipping. Couldn't hit anything and found a pin size hole at the base of a turret. Had that one shipped back and got the new one mounted! Looks muuuuch better, and the illuminator is just cool.