good day with savage edge 308!

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by lonewolf101, Aug 27, 2011.

1. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

I thought I bought a PIGS EAR when I bought this edge 308!.I bought a light trigger for rifle basix and a 1 " thick recoil pad now it a pleasure to shoot.
    Well I shoot it at the 100 yard line and with the other bullets I was using the pattern just wasnt what I wanted,but I change to Hornady 165 sst and now they shoot flater and they group well.:D

2. Georgiahunter

Georgiahunter New Member

I got a Savage 111 .308 the other day and it shoots like a dream. It definitely lived up to its well earned reputation.

3. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

Thats why I bought a Savage because of it's REP! it just took a few times and different bullet weights to get it right!.

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Certainly nothing wrong with 165's, just curious if you tried 150 Hornady SST's?

Also are you shooting Hornady Custom or Super Performance?

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Where did you post the pix?

6. Georgiahunter

Georgiahunter New Member

Here's a pic of my Savage 111 .308.

Attached Files:

7. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

no not yet I have a few more bullets to try out

150sst
    150sp
    150 interlock

cant tell its just the red box

8. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Hornady custom is mostly a tan, natural paper color box. The Hornady Super Performance is in a red, glossy box.

9. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

I reload my own ammo and I was going to post the pic but I must of left it at the range.

10. doolan

doolan New Member

Thanks....interested in that gun also, please post pics of your groups when you've done your research.

11. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

My Marlin XS7 .308 likes the Federal Power Shok 150gr from Walmart. It will shoot sub MOA all day long with them.

12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

the Edge now the Axis is a great gun for the money , The heavy trigger was my only concern and after a little bit of research and knowledge of the trigger guts it can be fixed for about $3 and 30 minutes of your time. I took it from 6.3# to 3.12# , I bought mine in .223 for coyotes and target use and I have to say its a fabulous shooter , I have it zeroed for 200 and at 100 yards you can easily cover a 3 shot group with a quarter with Remington UMC 55 gr FMJ, I only have around 60-70 rds thru the barrel so its really not at its full potential as far as grouping and me getting used to the gun and the trigger pull . but for the $259 of less I have been seeing them sell for you really cant go wrong
    My next one will be in .308

1" sqs on the target

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  13. glockman55

glockman55 Member

So whats the $3.00 for?? I just planned on replacing the trigger, but...I am familiar with Savage triggers,, Can you let me in on the secret??

14. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

The $3 was the spring and the set screw I purchased at my over priced hardware store .
    2 links below will help

I did not use the roll pin in the first link I bought a allen set screw and put it in the factory threads and be sure to use lock tite on it
    Stock and trigger mods for a Savage Edge - PredatorMasters Forums

Login

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  15. glockman55

glockman55 Member

Thanks.. I stumbled on that forum.. looks like its not too hard. What. you just take your old spring with you and get one to fit? I get the set screw,

16. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I just took the trigger with me and got a set screw that fit it , Just unscrew the original spring its in there with some type of thread sealer but you should be able to turn it out by hand . I bought a couple different springs that were the close to the outer diameter of the original and ended up with the lightest one in it and took the rest back.
    Actually if you PM me your addy I will send you the rest of the spring I have as I had to cut it in less than half , unless you just wanna get your own . Either way let me know and if you wnat it I will throw it in the mail tomorrow

17. glockman55

glockman55 Member

Thanks.. I should be OK on the spring.. If I have trouble finding any I'll give you a shout.. Thanks Again..

18. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

The Hornady rounds you mentioned are fine rounds. Later you might also try some Federal Premium 308 Product #GM308M 168 gr. HPBT Match. Most rifles shoot very well with them also. We used them for years on the Team. Aslo is your rifle new or used?

19. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member