Good Day at Work!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dragunovsks, May 13, 2009.

1. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Got a promotion this week at work, well kinda. The position doesn't pay any more but I get to move around company property more, which is better than being stuck in a back lot watching lime funnel down a hopper at a rate of about 10 tons an hour. The position carries more responsibility however as I have to load 2 HM-400 Komatsu dumptrucks hauling stock and occaisionally load an OTR dumptruck. Kinda makes me feel good about myself and my place at the company when they give you that sort of responsibilty and hand you the keys to one of these.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaGwd_nBkGk]YouTube - Komatsu WA500-6[/ame]

This is of course not me in the video, just a good clear vid of the machine. Just the other day I was operating a 91' CAT 966F, which is roughly half the size of the WA-500.

Anyway just though I'd share that, just got home from my shift and I was wanting to tell someone and didn't think it would be a good idea to call friends at midnight.

Oh, just like to add that I will thank O'Bama (although I can't stand him) for dumping millions of dollars into Indiana's "Major Moves" project. That means a serious amount of overtime for anyone who works road construction or limestone quarry jobs.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Congratulations. Sorry to here you didn't get a raise though.

3. dynastyofnext

dynastyofnext New Member

New promotion with non of the benefits except a pretty title. Companies do that to boost morale and increase productivity. I say next time you demand more money, why would you take on a bigger load for the same price. Dont sell out FIGHT THE POWER lol. But congrats.

4. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Well, see the thing is when I came back off layoff about 2 months ago they bumped me up from 13 an hour to 14.50/hr so, I'm happy for now.

5. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

You seem pretty happy about it, so I'm happy for you!! :)

6. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Thanx, I think what happened with my raise was I got bumped up because they switched me from a dumptruck to a loader and then I got another because I went to 2nd shift.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That's awesome bro - Congrats!

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Hey having a cab and AC is cheatin. you need open cab and wind blowing in your face.

Wish the companies I ran equipment for had cabs on their equipment. I was lucky if I got a canvas roll up cab.

Way to go. Run heavy junk can be so much fun...

You got a radio in that beast. How big is that bucket?

9. orangello

orangello New Member

Congratulations! Even if you consider this a semi-lateral move, it should make the job more interesting.

10. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Congrats on the bump.

I've had a few promotions without raises over the years. I always found that if I get in and do a good job the pay catches up. I know these days there are a lot of guys that would love to have my job; and would do it for less money.

11. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Excellent. Congratulations. :cool:

12. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Dragon, stick with it. Heavy equipment operators can make some serious coin. See if the company is willing to pay for your certifications on larger equipment or even cranes. Knowing what I know now after working so long in construction, Crane operator is a very good living.

13. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

A cab to keep out the elements and dust makes work alot more enjoyable. I've operated our CAT backhoe in the rain before and it sucks. It has no windows, just a roof. According to Komatsu's home website, the 500 has a bucket capacity of between 5.9 to 8.2 cubic yards, not sure what our's has yet.

It's got a radio but it only seams to pick up the local country station and that pop crap. I can stand country if I like the song, I might take my MP3 player and use my FM transmitter with it.

14. WDB

WDB New Member

Congrats Bro,
    More responsibility even with out more coin is a move in the right direction. The $ will come, keep doing what your doing as it seems the boss man must like what he sees!

15. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

Congrats on the move up. That always comes in handy, especially later during review/raise time. I started my current job as a Tech I (lowest level technician) 4 years ago even though I had 30+ years experience. But the next year I got promoted to Tech II and last June promoted to Tech III (the highest technician level without going into lead tech, technologist or management). Luckily, though, I did get a raise with each promotion including a 10% raise for the last one. Unprecedented at this company because anything over 5% has to be approved by the company president. I guess my supervisor felt my abilities and technical knowledge were worth going to the top and fighting for the raise.

So, stand firm with your new responsibilities. In the long run, you'll find that as long as you're doing what you're required to, you'll be noticed and get the extra bucks....

16. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

Good for you!

That Komatsu is like a CAT 988G or so, right?(or is more like an 992?)
    As shop supervisor I was able to have some fun with many big Tonkas, and the 988G was one of my favorites, the D9R was my favorite above all others... the only machine that I dislike was the 345H... that machine give us only headaches. Now I miss those days.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

We have a CAT 988 but I'm not sure if it's the "G" model but I know it's old. I know you operate it with a pair of joysticks unlike the Komatsu WA-500 which is operated with a steering wheel. The 500 is a little bigger than a CAT 980G, we have two of them and I hate to operate them. They have 1/4 steer and are very unnatural for someone coming from the CAT 966F machine.

I might take my digi camera to work today and take some pics of my loader and the trucks I load and other equipment we have.

18. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

Yes, that's right I like the joysticks, since 988F they come that way, I had worked with a 988B (very old) that use steering wheel, a 980H, 966C (very old too)... wheels loaders are fun, be a machinery operator maybe is monotonous and repetitious if you make the same 40hrs. or more each week....:rolleyes: but after all I would make a living from that, I like it.
    Congrats on your promotion.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

This picture is from last year, it was taken from the cab of the truck I used to drive (Komatsu HM-300 articucalted truck). This is the stripping crew working on top of the hill. The truck in the pic being loaded is a 400 which is rated for ten tons more than the one I was driving. The loader doing the loadin' is a CAT 988F. The loader on the right on the next ledge up is the one I operate now.

[​IMG]