good cheap rifles

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by 1911beast, Jan 10, 2012.

1. 1911beast

1911beast New Member

is a mosin nagant a good hunting rifle if it isnt what is one:D

2. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

What is your price range?

3. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

Also what are you looking for a bolt action or semi? And what caliber would you prefer? It all comes down to price range really on gun and ammo

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yes. It is.

5. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

In my opinion it is a good rifle period. I hunt with my Mosin Nagant and shoot it very often.

6. SentryOne

SentryOne New Member

A buddy of mine is considering the 91/30 for this same function. My two cents on the matter are that if you're going to put in to the rifle, consider that your initial investment is very little. The Mosins can be very accurate and the round is capable of some range but the open sights may not give you the precision placement you'd want to have for a kill shot so I would want to put a sight on if it were me. So I would say it would be better with an optic. I can't see spending a whole bunch on a nice optic though. That being said, I hear there are horrible optic mounts that are borderline dangerous and there are better made versions so do your research on mounts and spend a little more on a good one if you do go this route. Also consider the ammo. The laws in your state may prohibit non-expanding ammo you find through surplus. So check availability of the 7.62x54R hunting options available to you. There are the sniper versions of these rifles but I've never shot one so can't say how accurate they would be.

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

The Mosin Nagant is accurate w/ the right ammo. The best hands down is 203gr Russian made.

8. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

has anyone had experience with re-sizing a mosins barrel? say down to 18" to make a carbine

9. jpattersonnh

10. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

Just be aware the Mosin Nagant is a kicker. Pretty stout recoil. I used to own one and I rarely came back from the shooting range without a bruise on my shoulder. A lot of people can handle it fine, but some people don't like it. And there's nothing that will spoil the perfect shot quicker than flinching because of recoil anticipation.

11. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

yeah yeah, I know. I have a barreled action lying around for a project gun I didn't go through with. I want to do something different.

And don't anyone say bullpup. I considered that for awhile, then ran my head into something hard an came to my senses.

12. jpattersonnh

A bull pup would be a waste of time. The bolt would be in your armpit. Close at least!

Great stocks!!
    Ross FT Mosin Nagant

The Carbines really don't recoil as bad as most make them out to. I would Go with an intermediate length. 29" 91/30, 20" M44-M38. 23" would get the most from the cartridge while drastically shortening the barrel.

13. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Its good for what it cost, there are better for a price. I got my M44 for 89 bucks and later bought 300 rounds for 42 bucks. You can put scopes and sporter stocks on them and dress them up. Ive kept mine in its original military configuration cause i like it like that, if its good enough to use in combat in that configuration then it will be fine for hunting. Ive hit truck doors at nearly 400 yards with the iron sights, took a couple shots to get on target though.

Speaking of recoil, the mosins bark is definately worse than its bite. Watch someone shoot an m44 first and with the huge muzzle blast and very loud noise youd swear it kicks like a mule but i dont mind it at all, even with the steel plate on the butt.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  14. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

I just purchased two Yugo mausers at big 5 for 199.00 a piece. The barrels are in great shape . Very accurate with just iron sights and watered down American ammunition. I would not hesitate to take one of these rifles hunting.

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

By the time you make all the changes you could probably buy a low end rifle like the Axxis for less. Shoot it the way it is or maybe add a scout scope. If you just want a project, then go ahead. I tried the rebuild route a couple of times and I would have been better off buying a stock hunting rifle.

16. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

the recoil on a carbine is no joke. my m44 barks and bites pretty well. i would say its on the same level as a 30/06 or 12 ga 3 in mag. still very tolerable and controllable. but you know its there. im really thinking about take my mosin out next year for deer season. depends how much practice time i get this summer

17. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

I would just look for a used in good condition a 700 or Savage ect. By the time you send the the money for a Mil Surp Mosin and have it modified for hunting you paid for a better rifle for hunting. The used rifles may even come with a scope attached.

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

Well that's the thing, it doesn't have to be modified.

Yeah, if someone wanted to buy a mosin, put a synthetic stock on it, scope it, turn down the bolt handle, bed the action, float the barrel, jewel the bolt body.... Hell yeah, buy a used deer rifle such as a Savage or Remington.

But none of that has to be done. The only thing I've done to mine is stripped it down and refinished it, and its my hunting rifle.

19. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

Sure you can use as is if you like. I kind of like a scope on mine and have it lighten to carry more of a sporting gun.

20. jpattersonnh

OK, some state it has heavy recoil, so by lightening it you would make matters worse if the same type of stock design is used.

OP, check out Finnish 7.62x54r hunting rifles. You may get an idea of what to do.