Good ccw handun??

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by kjbcruz12, Sep 11, 2013.

1. kjbcruz12

kjbcruz12 New Member

I'm looking for personal opinions and some ideas for a good ccw handgun for my wife. We're both going to get our ccw's soon and she has a few ideas of what she liked from what she's shot at the range. She likes the S&W 686 Plus and the XDM 9mm. I know they're bigger guns and she usually has huge purses, but still they're a little big for a ccw gun? What do you think? Ideas? What do you carry?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Get what is reliable and what She is comfortable with. Just about anything and be concealed when it comes down to it. I'm only 5'10" 200 lbs and I can easily conceal a glock 20. Doesn't get much bigger than that.

3. amandaloveszoe

amandaloveszoe New Member

Good decision to decide to get permits. Glad your wife is game also. I suggest letting her find a range and try any gun she is interested in. Its really the only way to see what she prefers and then practice, practice,practice. I only carry on body which i will be honest takes commitment and alot of trial and error. I successfully can conceal my main ccw, Glock 19. I am 5'2 105lbs. And i dont dress like a boy to beable to. I also carry a Kahr P380 when i wear a dress a cant conceal my Glock. Have her check out Mrs. Authority on youtube for great ideas on ccw. Hope this helps.

4. butterbones

butterbones New Member

Try out a kahr cm9. After years of trying to find something this fit the bill.

5. spack762

spack762 New Member

A gun that fits her and she can shoot very well. A good gun will shot when it has too. Rent lots of guns and let her shoot them. Thats what I did.

6. orangello

orangello New Member

Truer words...

Get her to try a Bersa Thunder380; it seems to appeal to all of my sister's friends. I love them, and they are economically priced, small-ish but not tiny, and available in a nice flat nickel finish.

7. kjbcruz12

kjbcruz12 New Member

Any thoughts on XDM's and/or revolvers for a ccw gun? Besides the xds, my buddy said there's a recall on his...

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

Just have her hold and fire as many guns as she can. It needs to be her decision as much as possible. If she's comfortable with the 686p or the XDm, great. There's nothing wrong with those guns. The 686p is a heavy monster, but its one of my favorites revolvers and I plan to own one someday. If she thinks she will carry it all the time, excellent.

Regarding CCing a wheel gun, please see this thread for my thoughts:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/arguments-against-not-carrying-revolver-94908/

9. arizona98tj

arizona98tj New Member

A short review I put together earlier this year for some friends who had questions.

[​IMG]

10. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Take a look at the M&P 9c. The changeable palm-swells are a big hit with the ladies. The Bersa Thunder is a hot seller as well.

11. kjbcruz12

kjbcruz12 New Member

I like the xds and so does she but there's a recall on it. You may wanna check that out too

12. M605

M605 New Member

First of all is know how you want to carry, IWB, OWB, pocket, ankle and ladies even have a few more options such as purse (not a favorite of mine) even ones that can snap to a bra. Next go to a GS and hold different guns and rack the slides even dry fire if they let you. Remember is not just the gun itself you have to be able to operate it and feel comfortable with it whether its a revolver or semi-auto. They're allot of dependable CCW guns out there now so don't be in a hurry, do your research and not go by popular choice, it may not fit you which can result in you not carrying it as often or be able to use it as well in a bad situation. What ever you get maybe take a course with it and most definitely practice allot with it. Good luck and be safe. Let us know your decision.

13. orangello

orangello New Member

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2013/08/29/springfield-armory-xds-recall/

Read the original article here: http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2013/08/29/springfield-armory-xds-recall/ . Make sure you visit GunsHolstersAndGear.com for all of the latest gun news, reviews and SHOT Show coverage.

http://www.springfieldrecall.com/

Doesn't sound like the issue makes the XDs a pariah, just in need of repair.

As far as the XDm's, a buddy has the full-sized XDm40 and has been very happy with it. My XD45 has also been more than satisfactory.

14. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Cute pup in your avatar BTW....

My wife likes small 5 shot revolvers for carry, so instead of arguing with her about learning to shoot Autoloaders I let her pick it up on her own, and she is good with 22, 32, and learning the 9mm "92" as she goes.
    That being said, when she first started carrying it was her SP101 357. Now she has a lighter LCR 38+P, and the SP101 stays home. She isn't much for Jeans anymore because of her back pain, but she's carrying in her purse, or if she's in cargo shorts it'll be in a pocket holster in a Pocket. We also bought a "car seat rig" for her as well..

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  15. rickster

rickster New Member

My ccw is a Taurus PT740, 40 SW, but it also comes in a PT709 which is 9mm. My PT740 has been very reliable. You might also want to look at the Ruger LC9.

16. TX45

TX45 New Member

Let her hold & try the Ruger SR9c and SR40c to see how she like them.

17. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

You'll get a thousand different recommendations from a thousand different people. Many many good carry guns out there. I'd suggest a Ruger LCR in .38/.357. I'm sold on that little platform, really sold. It fits in your pocket and it shoots real good. I've carried everything from a Ruger Speed Six to a 4" 1911. Ruger's on to something here with their LCRs/LCPs.

18. M605

M605 New Member

Good choice there. My semi-auto carry's are the Ruger SR9c and the Ruger LCP/CT bug but I am also a wheel gun guy, I couldn't afford a LCR at the time so I purchase a Taurus M605 SS .357 snubby so I go back and forth between the SR9c and the snubby for may main carry but plan on getting a LCR someday.

19. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Smith and Wesson 442 38 special
    [​IMG]

20. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

Got my Wife a Bersa Thunder Deluxe 380(holds 9) and she loves it. I use and carry it more than her.
    Del