good ccw for a woman who is on the small side

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Thejiro, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Thejiro

Thejiro New Member

I am looking to get my girl a ccw gun to carry at work she is put in dangerous situations working as a civilian for the sheriffs office. As of right now im open to all suggestions for good guns that would be suitable for her i dont have my eye on anything in particular.

2. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

If it'll end up in her purse, advantage goes to a compact 357/38 revolver...particularly S&Ws and Rugers. If anticipating trouble, she can have her hand on her gun (while in the purse) and fire it from within her purse if need be. With a semi-auto that can be problematic.

If she wants an autoloader, I'd probably point her toward a slimmer single stack (Sig P239) in 9mm to start with. But that's just a nudge...let her feel out as many guns as possible. Just go to local dealer or show and have her handle everything that catches her eye.

3. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

my .02 cents says a LCR.38 or a S&W .38 bodyguard with the laser for purse carry

4. MrWray

MrWray New Member

There are quite a few people that have the ruger SR9c and are really happy with them

5. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Can I suggest serious thought be given to having the gun on her body? I’m sure she wouldn’t want her purse stolen or taken away from her with her gun in it. Or worse, not being near enough to her bag should need to draw it.

6. dewey

dewey New Member

Vincene is dead right. That is a crap situation she is being put in. She HAS to get some training asap. Take her to the range and try everything. Practice, practice, practice.

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

True , had I known that I might have suggested a belly band , shoulder holster or something of that nature . I have a Ruger LC9 and I really like it , its just takes some shooting time getting used to the long trigger pull

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Get her to try a Bersa Thunder .380. I was very happy with mine; now my sister is very happy with it.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

Get her some pepper spray tonight & tell her to keep her hand on it walking in. The real troublesome peeps have probably been sprayed before and will want to avoid it. They also sell it with a marking dye to help her coworkers ID the dumbarses.

Picking the right pistol will take some time; she does need to try some different ones. She might be able to handle one of the ittybitty, lightweights like the LCP, but she may need something a little bigger to help with recoil (bersa).

edit* forgot, if you can't find pepper spray tonight, get some of that streaming wasp spray; it is supposed to suck almost as bad and has some range.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  10. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Pepper spray is a decent alternative for her until you can get her a CCW. Ive been sprayed 6 different times by different brands during training, i preferred and carried Sabre Red, its some bad stuff, i always got really good "instant" results with it. You dont have to be a LEO to get it either.

11. jrags

jrags New Member

Definitely check out the new Springfield XD-S in .45 caliber. Xdspistols.com

This is a brand new product that they just introduced last month at shot show 2012. Nice stopping power with more stopping power than a Ruger LCR in 38 or 357. And with the same capacity, actually more as it is a 5+1. And you (she) can carry extra mags.

Very nice semi-auto pistol.

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

Is there anyone at all who has been sprayed and doesn't mind getting sprayed again?
    I was sprayed when I was with the military police. About 3 months later my wife pointed a whack looking perfume bottle at me as a joke, and I dove out of the moving car she was driving.

I've been through some rough crap. Some of the worst. One thing I will never allow anyone to do is spray me. That is some NASTY stuff. So bad in fact, I won't allow any in my house.

13. MrWray

MrWray New Member

O dont get me wrong, i hate being sprayed.. But i would rather be sprayed than Tased again!

14. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

Surely someone in the Sheriff's Department can help her out with training, tips, suggestions, etc. even if the Department won't do it formally.

Can she keep her purse on her at all times in the situation? If so, a revolver will (probably) shoot all rounds from within the purse without jamming.

God knows she's got more guts than I do ... putting her hands into a purse every day ... (shiver) ... gives me the willies just thinkin about it!!! :)

Keep her safe, Jiro, don't want to let that one get away!

15. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

A female neighbor of mine CCWs the Phoenix HP22, and loves it.

Attached Files:

16. lmurphy7676

lmurphy7676 New Member

I bought my wife a Walther PK380, reason being is she too is of small stature, but to add to it fairly weak in her hands and found it IMPOSSIBLE to chamber a round with any conventional 9mm .40 or .45 so we came across this gun and off the bat she liked it, she operated the slide with ease. Luckily the chambering issue with this gun was resolved before buying since it is fairly common for the catch not to grip the round. If you do choose this make sure that the issue has been corrected
    BTW she loves the gun and shoots Winchester Ranger talon HP. 380

17. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I would never carry in my purse for this very reason. You are potentially arming a purse snatcher.

18. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

EXCELLENT point

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

19. rugerjazzkohai

rugerjazzkohai New Member

My wife rented and fired various guns before getting a Glock 19. She initially kept it in her purse but as someone earlier mentioned, its better that her purse get stolen rather the firearm. She carries it in an ankle holster since she wears more jeans than anything else. Snhe doesn't have a job like you wife, but she is sometimes not in the best areas. She also moved up the ranks in a Japanese martial art, aikido, and knows how to fight with various stick weapons. Her keychain has pepper spray. Worse case, she uses a large maglight flashlight on her job that she knows she can use. My range offers pistol defense classes as well as home invasion for women. You may want to see if there are classes like that near you and/or have her talk to one of the sheriffs.

20. rugerjazzkohai

rugerjazzkohai New Member

Forgot to mention she is just at 5' and 130 lbs but she can flip me over her shoulder and I weigh 253.