Good CC .45

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by USMC-03, Dec 7, 2010.

1. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

First off, I'm new here so hopefully I can gain some good knowledge from this site. Now for my question: I am looking for a good .45 for concealed carry. Wanting something I can conceal under a t-shirt if possible. I can't really afford more than $650 so something like a Kimber is out of the question...plus I don't really want to carry something that nice and expensive every day. I have a 5" .45 XD and Sig P250 full size .45, but they both tend to print against my clothing pretty bad most of the time, unless I'm in a sweatshirt or other really loose fitting clothing. I'm thinking about the Glock 30 SF but am not really familiar with other models of smaller .45's and would like to make sure I'm not missing out on something I'd like better. Anyone here got a .45 they like to carry that is easy to conceal in summer clothes? I really prefer a .45 just because I like the idea of the power it packs...would also consider a .40 but don't really want to go smaller than that unless I have to. My current handguns are: 4" XD9, 5" XD45, PF9, Sig P250 .45, XDM 40, S&W 686 .357, and an old .22 my mom passed down...the PF9 is my only one that's really great for carry and I'm wanting to add a sub compact .45. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

First, Welcome to the FTF!

Second, living where I do I don't worry about "printing" because we wear winter cloths the year round, except for the two days of summer!! :D

So I can carry the 5" Government year round!

Someone will be around to give you options, but for me big caliber/small frame don't make for reliabilty.

3. arp1

arp1 New Member

glock 36

You may want to look at the glock 36 for ccw. I have been carrying a kimber 5" coustom II, but I ordered a glock 36, it will be in on Fri.It seems like it will be ideal for ccw,accurate, short, and easyly concelled. I hope so anyway.

4. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

I have an XD45 with a Crossbreed Supertuck and don't print in a t-shirt. Granted, I am 6', 250lbs which helps.

The most overlooked piece of a CCW rig IMHO is a good gun belt. That will make a world of difference.

5. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Yeah I'm only like 5' 7 170 lol

6. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

Kahr PM45 is at the very top (+ a little) of your price limits... The CW45 is slightly bigger and about $200 cheaper. (I have CW45 and love it but don't carry it much 'cause I'm old and into smaller, lighter guns for carry. I also have the smaller CW9 and carry that a little more often.) If you're really commited to carrying a small, light .45 the PM45 might be just right for you (as long as you realize it's not a range gun... it's gonna be snappy). Though a little pricey, it's smaller and lighter (just under 20 oz.) than the smallest 1911's in your price range (like the Springfield Armory 1911-A1 Micro-Compact, for instance, which is an inch longer and 24 oz.).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  7. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

I would still suggest a good quality gun belt. As far as guns, have you tried a 1911.

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I carry a 4" 1911 in a crossbreed holster year around and have no problems with comfort or concealment.

9. hogrider

hogrider New Member

Good belt

I will second the suggestion for a good belt. I'ts the biggest mistake I made thinking any belt would do. A belt designed to carry a weapon is money well spent.

10. amoroque

amoroque New Member

Since you are already familiar with the SA platform, have you thought about the possibility of the SA EMP or the XD sub compact. Unfortunately the Sub Compact doesnt come in 45 (I dont think) but you can get it in 40 or 9mm.
    I personally carry the SA XD 9mm, it is a nice small package, I'm pretty close to your size, give or take 10 lbs, doesnt print at all.

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Mine is a ParaOrdnance C-7 45. double action only, 7 shot 45, not much bigger than a Model 60 revolver. A bit heavier though.

12. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

I have never carried a 1911, my father owns a Springfield 1911 that I've shot quite a bit but have not tried carrying. Any specific gun belts you would recommend?

13. arp1

arp1 New Member

belts and holsters

As I stated before I carry a kimber coustomII in a crossbreed super tuck deluxI just ordered a glock 36, will get it Fri. As soon as ordered it, I called crossbreed and ordered another super tux and another of their gun belts, imho they make one of the best belts and holsters for ccw

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

My Colt Defender with 8+1 rounds of Hornady, 45 ACP+P 230 gr HP XTP® TAP® FPD™, a superb concealed carry piece:

[​IMG]

With my Horseshoe Leather Covert 28, call Andy at Horseshoe Leather Covert 28 << Click Here

[​IMG]

And in my Crossbreed Super Tuck, call Mark at Crossbreed Holsters << Click Here

[​IMG]

As far as the belt, call Jim Speidel (the beltman [Andy Arratoonian's belt supplier for years but you didn't hear that here] :p) (919) 387-1997, for the best carry belt around.

Be sure to tell Andy, Mark and Jim you heard about their work here on the FTF and suggest they should sign up as a vendor!

Gun Belts by The Belt Man << Click Here

15. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Either of the belts mentioned above by The Beltman or Crossbreed are top notch.

16. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

After looking at the Crossbreed I'm not leaning toward one of them. Just gotta decide what gun I want between now and Christmas.

17. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have been carrying a Bersa Ultra-Compact Pro. It is a single or double action 45. It has a double stack 7 round mag. It is very compact. It is also the only true ambidextrous pistol I have ever owned. If you are right handed you won't care. If you are left handed you will think it is awesome.

It is a very acurate and very dependable gun. I bought mine new on sale at Cabelas for $400. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

18. JJAMISON

JJAMISON New Member

i was gonna suggest the CW45 also. great gun. i have the CW9 and wear it everywhere.

19. SK2344

SK2344 New Member

Glock 36

I have carried Glock 9mm for my EDC for over 10 years but just recently decided to switch for reasons of my own, to carry a .45. I purchased a Glock 36 and now carry the 36 as my every day carry gun. I have never had a malfunction or any other problem in 13 years of shooting Glock Pistols. I love the 36 with a 6 + 1 magazine whic I think is more than enough rounds for a self defense weapon. I carried a G 19 as my Duty Gun for many years but if I had my choice back then it would have been the Glock 21. The G 36 feels great and shoots great and I'm glad I made the switch but I still love all my Glock Pistols and trust my life with them all.:cool:

20. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

Lets go a little satanic/massocistic.

You said a good cc .45, but did not specify which type. 45 Automatic Colt Pistol, 45 Long Colt, 454 Casull? Hell no. This is what you need.

American Derringer in .45-70.:D Definately a one-shot wonder. Fire it once and you'll wonder why the hell did you buy it. From American Derringer you can buy a single shot version, and double barrel version with 2 shots of 45-70, or one where the top barrel is 45-70 and the bottom barrel is 45LC/410 shot.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P34v983P2j4&feature=related]YouTube - 45-70 derringer[/ame]
    Video of one brave soul.

Genitron.com: Details for American Derringer Model 1 .45-70 Government Pistol
    Here is a website that I found that has a lot of useful data on different guns. For the American Derringer in 45-70, it says that the recoil force is 183.681 ft lbs for the single barrel.:eek: That is THEE most powerful recoil of any handgun that they have data on. The might 500S&W in the 2.5" snubbie bear gun only, "ONLY" has a recoil force of 68.908 ft lbs.

So there you go, a nice little concealable 45.;)

Attached Files: