good budget friendly 9mm

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by patches, Apr 3, 2011.

1. patches

patches New Member

Hi, I am in the market for my first handgun. I know i want a semi auto, 9mm. Also looking for a price under $400. I would like a full size, because I havent found a compact that fits my hands yet, and I am not planning on carrying yet.

I have a couple in mind. Hopefully you can help point me in the right direction.:confused:

1. Ruger sr9 $398 @ buds
    2. CZ P07 Duty $406 @ jetguns
    3. Bersa Thunder Pro $348 @ jetguns
    4. Taurus 24/7 oss $355 @ buds

I have held the rugerand the Taurus, and they both feel well balanced and comfortable, but have been unable to even find the other two in stock locally. What are your thoughts on these firearms, andare there any others i should look at?

Thanks for the input.

Pat

2. Car54

Car54 New Member

Call a few gunshops around the Detroit area who have ranges. They usually have a good stock of guns that they rent so you can shoot them and see which one you like best. Try Target Sports in Royal Oak, or on the westside in Taylor there's one on Racho Road south of Eureka, but the name escapes me right now. Also on the south side of the Jefferies Service Dr somewhere around Merriman there's another shop, again sorry I can't remember the name,

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011

3. 9mmgun

9mmgun New Member

Don't overlook the Stoeger/Beretta Cougar 8000. $369 NIB. It will perform as well & probably better than most of your other choices. A truly excellent value in today's market. If your unaware of the Cougar, do some of YOUR OWN research & you'll see what I mean. Beretta designs some of the worlds finest firearms & to get their Cougar 9mm under $400 is a very sweet deal.

4. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Take a close look at the Sig Pro SP2022. I personally think it is better than most on your list.

From your list, I will get the CZ P07.

5. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Of your choices I would choose between the Ruger sr9 or the CZ P07 Duty.

6. patches

patches New Member

Isn't the cougar basically the same as the px4? I will check those out also. I do like the design of the sig also, so I guess i will be doing some "field research".

The ruger has gotten great reviews from just about every site I have been on, but I am very intrigued by the po7.

Thank you so much for the feedback. I will keep you guys posted on the decision.

Pat

7. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I've become partial to the CZ design lately. Very nice pistols. I have 75BD, reliable, accurate and fun.
    For CZ-like goodness at a nice price, see if you can hunt sown an EAA Witness for your sampling pleasure. They are priced quite nicely . I have a .45 Witness Match that has so far exceeded my expectations.
    I haven't messed with the Stoegers very much, but initial opinion is that they look like a really nice gun. They feel and look like something from a higher price point.
    Of course if you went with the Ruger, you will probably be happy with it for a long time.
    Taurus makes some nice looking guns (they make the Judge too, which sort of balances things out). It's sort of a shame that the quality control is rubbish.

8. 9mmgun

9mmgun New Member

The Cougar is an "all metal" version of the PX4. It's the PX4's predecessor using the same rotating barrel system. The Cougar feels somewhat like a smaller Beretta 92FS. 99% of owner reviews rave about their Cougars. When Beretta released the Cougar in the mid 90's they sold for close to $700, to get the same exact gun today NIB for half that is an outstanding value.

Of the 4 that you originally posted, I'd pick the CZ.

9. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Hi-Point C9.

10. ajbeau

ajbeau New Member

9mm

keltek p11 under $300.00

11. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Have you considered buying a used pistol. There a lot of outstanding used firearms in the $400 price range. Especially at gun shows from private owner to owner. If that is legal in your state.

12. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I took the liberty of re-ordering your list as I would choose them. But I have a CZ bias, so take that for what it's worth.

I'd echo the suggestion about looking at used guns. You can find some used (but like new) polymer staples (XD, Glock, M&P) for around $400 if you keep your eyes open. And for another $100-200 you can get into an excellent used Sig P226/228/229...though they're not polymer, which seems to be your primary interest.

Lots of people like the thought of owning a gun, only to run 50 rounds through it and tuck it away for a year or two. Then they sell their $600 gun for $400 or so. This is where you'll probably find the best value for your dollar.

13. patches

patches New Member

Checked out the p-07 today along side of the sr9. The p-07, for being a smaller overall gun is a little beefier than the sr9. I am surprised by how rough the grips are. The gun fits nicely in my hand and was much more compact than I expected, which wasn't a bad thing. Unfortunately, they don't have the cz to rent.

I did notice that the sr9 was a little easier to rack, which also surprised me by what I have read about them being so tight.

I think I am leaning towards the cz. Will make a nice carry weapon when I am ready to do so.
    My local shop has it for 509, and won't barter. So I guess I will order it from jetguns since they have it for 100 less. Still a deal with the $15 transfer fee.

Thanks for the input.

Pat

14. patches

patches New Member

I have looked at the used gun market. Not much locally, they seem to be trying to get their purchase price back.

Pat

15. group17

group17 New Member

SIG PS 2022
    Stoeger cougar 8000
    FN9

16. GatorDude

GatorDude New Member

In that price range, you'll have to check out the S&W SW9VE Enhanced Sigma. It's priced competitively and often comes with a coupon for extra magazines or a rebate. It's simple to operate, reliable, and it feels good in the hand. The main drawback people cite is a heavy trigger. Here is a review:
    A Handgun Review: The Smith & Wesson SW9VE Enhanced Sigma

17. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Out of the choices you mentioned, I would go with either the Ruger or the CZ.
    If you would prefer to spend a little less, as GatorDude said, check out a S&W SW9VE Sigma.
    If you can save up just a little more then take a look at Springfield XD's and Glocks.

18. KentuckyBob

KentuckyBob Member

I'd check out the FNX-9 before I made my mind up. You can get one off Gunbroker for $469 + $20 shipping. I have the FNP-9 but wished now I'd waited and got the FNX. The FNX and FNP's all come with three mags and lifetime warranty.

FNH USA - Handguns

19. cuate

cuate New Member

Google up EAA, they have some nice 9mms. I traded for a Zastava M88a, 9mm ,was priced at $299 new in the box if I had of used money but I got it from a pal that owns a pawn shop. It looks like a smaller 1911, fits my hand and hits where I aim, shot about 50 rounds so far and no complaints.

They are made in Serbia, all steel but the grips, beautiful blue finish and
    if you get a chance look at one ...

20. tommy62

tommy62 New Member

SR9c- 17 rd fullsize mag and the shorter barrel of compact. $369 t GT Distributors