Good Book on Gunsmithing these guys?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by WannaBeVagabomd, Aug 13, 2013.

1. WannaBeVagabomd

WannaBeVagabomd New Member

Just curious. Maybe a few years from now I'll build my own.

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

A book with all the access to the internet???
    What a novel idea :D

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

There are books out there on the internet.

But, I prefer to do my reading in the library (where the wireless connection is kind of weak).

So what would I recommend? A gent by the name of Kuhnhausen has 2 books out on the 1911.

When I am in the library and need something to refresh or learn about the 1911, you can bet that one of these goes with me.
    (and if you forget them on the bathroom scale, they don't weigh that much to wear down the battery).
    http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i:aps,k:Jerry Kuhnhausen 1911

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

there are tons of books on the 1911. Brownell's and MidwayUSA both carry an extensive line-up of books on the 1911.

if planning on building a 1911, then plan on acquireing a lot of specialized tools to do so. and from a personal opinion, unless you intend on doing several. it's not cost effective to build a 1911 from the ground up. building a 1911 from scratch is nothing like putting together an AR. lots of fitting and making parts work to make a properly fuctioning and safe pistol.

5. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

These are the best and you NEED to read them cover to cover twice before you start.

6. WannaBeVagabomd

WannaBeVagabomd New Member

I was planning on becoming a certified gunsmith before I left the air force anyway, so I have no problem collecting tools. I'd leave major fitting of the frame barrel and slide to the pros.

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

You might do a Ebay search --- The good books don't come cheap-