Good book for wood stock/grip making?

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by Poink88, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Anyone know of a good reference/tutorial book for wooden stock making? I am planning on starting with pistol & revolver grips. Not for commercial purposes but a hobby since I like working with wood.

Preferably, the book would also have a "minimalist" shop tool requirement if possible.

Related to this, what (affordable) rifle should I look for to experiment on (old or new). My Weatherby Vanguard is arriving today and wondering if it is a good candidate.

Thanks for any recommendation(s). :)

2. superc

superc Member

Roy Dunlap, "Gun Owner's Book of Care, Repair and Improvement."
    Several chapters dealing with aspects of stock making.
    Sold under the Outdoor Life label in the 70s. Check w/Amazon.com

I used to have a copy of "Rifles," by Jack O'connor. I haven't seen my copy in more than a decade, but I seem to recall a lot of useful stuff about stocks in it too.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010

3. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I can't think of a book right off hand.
    However, I am being trained in the ways of a gunsmith that has been in business since '62, I have made a few grips, so maybe I can help you out with the tools that make your life much easier.

1 A bandsaw

2 Stationary belt sander, doesn't have to be fancy or expensive

3 A drill press is not entirely necessary, but it does make it a lot easier to drill the grip screw holes.

4 Variable speed Dremel tool with sanding drum (for rough shaping).

5 Lots of sandpaper in different grits from coarse to fine.

EDIT: That list is for making grips, if you want to build rifle stocks from scratch, there are more tools that you might need, such as a barrel channel scraper, chisels, gouges, more bits for the Dremel, etc.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  4. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Great!!! I have all these! :cool::D

5. csapow

csapow New Member

6. domino300

domino300 New Member

"Checkering and Carving of Gunstocks" by Monty Kennedy circa 1952 & 1962, deals mostly with checkering.