Good Beginner 9mm

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Dankous, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Dankous

Dankous New Member

Hello, I'm thinking about purchasing my first handgun, and was wondering what a good beginner handgun would be? I wanted to get a 9mm, but beyond that I'm not really sure where to start. Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks!

2. vincent

vincent New Member

Lose the avatar and people here might take you seriously...:cool:

3. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

While I agree with the avatar comment pretty much any 9mm is a good "beginner" (I use that term loosely) gun. Recoil is manageable and as long as you read the manual and understand the features of your gun you're set.

4. vincent

vincent New Member

What are you planning on using it for...Home/personal defense, carry gun, range gun...the more you tell us about your needs, the more we can help...:cool:

Hit up a local gun shop and get your hands on a few, see what feels most comfortable to you.

Some shops have ranges for 'test drives', see what you like best...

There are tons of manufacturers, most of them make quality stuff...see if you can narrow down your choices to a few.

Good names are Springfield, CZ, Beretta, GLOCK, Browning, the list goes on...

5. potentialglock

Smith and Wesson, ruger, Kelly tec makes some decent stuff. Kahr is alright.

6. Dankous

Dankous New Member

Thanks guys! I'd be using it as a personal protection/carry weapon. I'm about to move into a more dangerous part of town, and I just want to be prepared for whatever comes through the door. I was thinking about a glock or smith&wesson, but there's just so many choices to choose from.

7. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Glock 19. Great size for concealment.

8. cj84

cj84 New Member

I would stay away from the cheaper guns like hi point and sigma. The glock and m&p are both great guns begginer or not

9. Dankous

Dankous New Member

I was looking at M&P line everyone I've talked to tat owns one seems to really like it. I think I'll go to the range like you guys had said and try them both out.

10. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Another solid performer is the Springfield Armory XD series.

11. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

First, if you are bit of a noob to handguns, I strongly recommend that you take a NRA Basic Handgun Class before taking the plunge.

Also, there is no shortage of high quality 9 mm handguns that aren't plastic with strikers.
    Sig
    Beretta
    H&K
    CZ
    Browning Hi Power
    EAA/Tangfolio Witness.
    Any number of 1911s chambered for 9mm.
    and the list goes on.

OP,
    Find a range that rents and spend an afternoon learning what's out there and see what you actually like.

12. Dankous

Dankous New Member

Lol, well I'm not a complete noob at guns in general. My uncle is big into guns. He's taken me hunting before, and to the range as well. I've just never dedicated any time to research what guns are out there. I appreciate all your inputs.

13. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Ignore the Sigma and Hi-Point comment, they are good guns but there are better guns they'll just cost more. So if all you can afford is a Sigma or Hi-Point there is nothing wrong with them.

14. potentialglock

Another factor to think of is how do you dress? If you're going to conceal you need to take that into consideration. I often wear t-shirts and shorts so a glock 19 or m&p9 was just too big and bulky. I opted for a ruger lc9 with lasermax. That way I can usually carry without looking funny. I agree to dress around the gun but first you should find a gun you can control without change going your style drastically.

15. Dankous

Dankous New Member

That's a great point! I didn't really think about it, but you can always catch me wearing a sweatshirt or bulky coat cause I'm always cold with some cargo shorts or gym shorts.

16. travelingolfer

travelingolfer New Member

My first pistol was a M&P 9c love it, again what fits your hand and what you are comfortable with is what you want to chose. When you decide spend lots of time at the range to where it feels like it was made for you.

17. Dankous

Dankous New Member

Right On! Ever run into the problem finding a gun you like such as reliability,sights, etc. but it didn't really fit your hand? How would I deal with that problem? Can you buy different grips?

18. Cshooter

Cshooter New Member

I had this problem, with a Glock. I really liked the sights, the trigger, and I shot it really well. The problem was it never felt comfortable in my hand, so I bought and XD9 instead.

19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

find a pistol that fits your hand well, because how well a pistol fits your hand will translate into how well you shoot it accurately. and if you can't hit accurately with it, it's useless. when you find one that fits you, practice, practice and then practice some more. also practice on a regular basis to stay profficient with it. shooting skills can deteriorate rapidly if you don't practice on aregular basis. find and use ammo that functions well in your pistol. don't worry about whether one brand is better than another, because most SD ammo is more or less the same and it really matters that the ammo functions rather than one brand expands more or penetrates further. try different brands of ammo and find what shoots reliabily and groups the best out of those that do work reliabily.

20. cj84

cj84 New Member

Why ignore my comment sigma and hi point are cheap low quality handguns. He said glock or s&w. I personally wouldn't take advise from anyone that calls a polymer gun plastic. I guarantee that a 1911 won't take more abuse than one.