Good ar-15 kits?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by kjbcruz12, Mar 10, 2013.

1. kjbcruz12

kjbcruz12 New Member

Can anyone tell me some good brands of ar-15 kits? So far I'm looking at RRA. I'd like to spend around $800 for the kit

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Palmetto State Armory sells build kits, if you can catch them in stock.

3. kjbcruz12

kjbcruz12 New Member

Any other places besides there? Any places that sell full build kits? Lower and uppers

4. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Bravo Company! PSA's prices are always lower, but I'm betting that BCM's quality is higher. RRA is awesome, too! I bought a Del-Ton upper, but I'm not sure they have complete kits.

Good luck...you'll need it!

5. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Doublestar too, if you can get them.

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Why even bother with a kit if that's what you want? Might as well look at complete rifles. Usually people at least buy a stripped lower and build that up.

7. kjbcruz12

kjbcruz12 New Member

I just want to be able to put the entire rifle together myself. But I know what you mean. I may just get a stripped lower and go that route.

8. 1911Jeeper

1911Jeeper New Member

Few manufacturers offer an AR-15 "kit" because there are so many different options available for AR type rifles.

You should simply order the parts or the complete firearm that is configured to your liking. Almost all AR type parts interchange so you can mix and match and have everything fit.

Ordering the parts and assembling your own AR lets you install the features that you want, and can help you save money. Federal Excise tax is paid on the total purchases price when you buy a complete fully assembled rifle, or the total purchases price when you buy a lower receiver. The manufacture pays the tax for you so it is included in the price of a complete fully assembled rifle, or a lower. If you buy a bare lower only, you pay the least amount of Excise Tax because the tax does not apply to the purchase of the other parts, when bought separately from the lower. You can also save money by watching for sale prices and for free or reduced shipping offers. If you order on-line, you often also do not pay state sales taxes.

I built a nice AR using Internet retailers and saved on Federal Excise Taxes, state sales taxes, shipping charges, and I bought my parts over a period of time when almost everything was on sale.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  9. kjbcruz12

kjbcruz12 New Member

Let's see your rifle!!!

10. kjbcruz12

kjbcruz12 New Member

Frontier Armory complete polymer ar-15 lower receiver with m4 buttstock. Good brand? Cause its a great price! $109.00 plus $7.95 shipping

image-1269902776.jpg

11. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

In stock? I don't believe it... That price is WAYYY before the panic.

12. kjbcruz12

kjbcruz12 New Member

That was on a forum. It's $169 on their site!!

13. lovemy1911

lovemy1911 New Member

I built mine from a DPMS lower. I put a kit from RRA with the 2 stage trigger upgrade, I did put a complete RRA upper on it.

I have about 800 into this; however I built it 2 yrs ago.

Attached Files:

14. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Actually, there are a few ppl out there who just want a no frills AR for SHTF. Anyway, if you can get one now and not feel like you got shanked on the price, I would go for it. Anything AR is either scarce, unavailable, or you are getting gouged on the price. Don't believe me, look on gunbroker, or better yet, go to a gun shop. It's even rediculous on the guns last year would be recommended don't buy at any price.

15. kjbcruz12

kjbcruz12 New Member

So is frontier armory any good? I'm gonna build my own AR, just wondering if its a good brand or not.

16. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The company has a decent reputation. Understand that that price is for a polymer lower, not an aluminum one. Many arguments in the internet regarding poly lowers. For me I'd save and buy an aluminum one.

17. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Probably should just wait out the storm until the AWB issue is settled one way or another.

18. Donn

Donn Active Member

$800 for a complete kit? These days? Good luck with that. Just finished one. Complete upper & barrel, built the lower. Came in just under $1200.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  19. kjbcruz12

kjbcruz12 New Member

What brands did you go with? And was that just an AR or was that with toys too?

20. Jake86

Jake86 New Member

I am in the process of building one right now. I expect the cost to be between $3000-$4000 depending on the optic I decide to go with...

Then again, it's a no expenses spared shooter...