Good all metal handguns

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by beastmode986, Mar 13, 2013.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Well, since my dad hates going on forums I will do it for him. He wants to buy a handgun this weekend and wants a gun that meets these requirements
    -mostly metal
    -holds more rounds than the ''obama number''(preferably) which basically means more than ten rounds.
    -shoots 9mm or .22lr ammo
    -under 500$
    Hes considering 1911's but he does not want to spend more than 500$
    he has no clue about the ballistics of different calibers and he does not want a 40 or 45. I have no clue why because he has never shot a 40 or 45. The 1911 is probably the only acception. He does not like glocks because he hates the polymer frame and says it feels like hes not holding anything. He was looking at the sig mosquito's and the 22 1911s for plinking as well. What do you guys recommend?

2. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Used Beretta 92 or a stoeger cougar are good choices

3. Obama_is_balls

Obama_is_balls New Member

I agree with the Beretta 92. Excellent gun but he might have to spend around 600

4. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Bersa Thunder 9mm

5. Colby

Colby New Member

That Beretta 92 suggestion is hard to argue with.
    Another possible - Rock Island 1911. It's not a high class expensive gun but it is a good gun. It's in your price range - and it comes in both 45 or 9mm. I have tried the actions of both 45 and 9MM versions - and really liked the 9mm. Smooth. The 45 version was a stiffer action - but then it has to be because of the increased power of the 45 round vs the 9.
    The 9mm, in general, is a "softer, gentler" shooting round. That may be what your dad is looking for. Plus it's cheaper than nearly anything else (the ammo) - or at least it was before the Obama crazy buying frenzy started last November.

6. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Center fire pistols I'd lean to the Rock Island but the mag cap doesn't fit. The Bersa thunder pistols are really nice feeling. I recently picked up a Thunder 45 Ultra Compact Pro. I have been really surprised in just how well it works. Taurus and Ruger have a couple in the price range and are worth looking at but most of the less expensive models are poly framed. All that leads me back to the RIA 1911.

I like a few of the 1911-22's I don't like the Sig Rim fire though. It pains me to say that being I am a Sig fan. They just don't seem to be as reliable as their bigger brothers. but in talking about rim fires we are really talking about a different animal. While I would not say it can not be used for a defense weapon I would not go that way myself. But whatever the shooter uses best is what they should use. If it;'s jsut a plinking gun then that opens up a ton of doors. The Ruger MK series, Buckmarks to name a couple.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Don't forget the Browning Hi-Power and clones.
    9mm, more than 10 rounds, been around a long time to get the kinks out.

8. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

See post #27

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Hi Power Firearms > Hi Power Picture Thread

9. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

Reliability issues with rimfire guns has to do more with ammo than the gun itself.

10. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

CZ 75b comes to mind.

11. gvw3

gvw3 New Member

You can't go wrong with the Beretta 92. You can buy mags from 10 round to 30. 9 mil is cheap or was when you could buy it.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

Cz75 or beretta92fs

13. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

CZ 75- Probably best fits all of your criteria, although a brand new model is likely to eclipse that $500 mark. But you can come close. There are also many clones of this gun that can be had at very good prices. The EAA Witness is one of the better CZ clones you'll see, and they are available at your price point. And if he was determined to stay under $500, the Witness is exactly where I would begin my research.

BHP clones- (FM Argentine, Arcus, etc)...good $300-500 guns.

Sig P226- Excellent used can be found around $600.

Beretta 92- It's a bit of a polarizing gun, because it's massively overbuilt...in other words, it's just way bulkier than it needs to be. But it's a good gun, and that extra material can be beneficial to shooters with larger hands.

My CZ 75b and BHP. Probably have $1000 (total) into the pair:

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

14. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

I told him to get a 92 and now hes saying he does not want to spend more than 300-350. Im trying to get him to go the extra mile because last night he said 500$

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  15. Garadex

Garadex New Member

CZ75B and in my opinion it looks pretty dang cook.

16. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

He can get a Stoeger 8000 "Cougar" for about $399. The 9mm would be good, because it is a reasonable defensive caliber, ammo is pretty cheap and abundent, and with a 7" OAL, it would be pretty easy to carry and to maneuver in a defensive situation. The rotating barrel lockup gives them good accuracy.

17. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Be careful on the budget. If he keeps dropping the price, he'll be in junk gun territory soon. You do not want to rely on those at all.

18. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I would seriously look at a hi power clone, not sure of the price on those but I shot one last week and I was amazingly accurate with it. I want one so bad. Remind your dad that this gun will probably last longer than he will so it is a good investment and better to save up for something nicer.

19. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

CZ 75 Series.
    .22? order a Kadet kit for it.

Edit:
    Missed the price drop post. $300 to $350 is going to be a challenge, especially with the way things are right now. Even such guns as the Stoeger Cougar & the EAA Witness are $400+ these days (new.)
    He's in the used market with those numbers.
    How about a well worn pawn shop revolver? ;)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  20. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I agree with scott...