Good air rifle for squirls

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by gunkid9mm, Dec 1, 2011.

1. gunkid9mm

gunkid9mm New Member

I have been looking for a powerfull .22 air rifle. Its main purpose would be squirl hunting. I'v tried to use a .177 cal airgun with a MV of 625fps. Im shure some of those squirls Iv shot are reading this right now laughing at me! Even though my shots werent always headshots, I still think that SOME of those squirls should have been dropped considering I shot them from less than 20 feet away. Whitch leads me to my question, whats a good .22 airgun that delivers enough power to make a dead squirl at about ten yards or so that wont cost me more than $300 (thats a firm 300 bucks). I cant shoot a firearm in my backyard where I live so rimfire is out of the question.

2. ACRhino

ACRhino New Member

I have a modified crossman 2250 that shoots at 1200 FPS when warm out or with a heated Co2 cartridge.

3. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

if its not legal to use a rimfire i would suggest its not a good idea to use anything to kill a squirrel? and are you eating any of these that you have shot? do you currently have your hunting license?

4. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Member Lifetime Supporter

I picked up the Gamo .177 It came with a scope and rings, camo composite stock and 1250 fps. They do offer one in the .22. Very flat shooting once you get use to the 500 lb trigger pull :(

5. Tailypoe

Tailypoe New Member

brother, i have shot grey " squirl "'s from 20 meters with .22 lr subsonics and watched them run and jump to another tree ... our walnut tree has had them get "stuck" several times. .. our woods are a graveyard of these little invasive bastards, ... use a .22 ...

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have to agree, most city ordinances ban discharging a firearm within city limits, and by the ordinance, an airgun is considered a firearm. now if its just because you have neighbors behind your backyard, then even an airgun could be dangerous. just something to think about.

7. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I have a crossman XT paid a little over 100 dollars for it at walmart shoots .177, the main thing with air guns is your fallow through has to be a lot better then with your regular rifle (the pellet takes longer to leave the barrel) I've had 1" groups at 30 yards with it but it took me a little while. But with the adjustable trigger and all that I've been able to pick off birds no problem.

8. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

+1 on the Crosman XT. I have one as well. The trick is to not hold the forearm. Simply rest it in the palm of your hand. Mine likes the Crosman Premium pointed pellets. It's good to maybe 35 yards or so. But I do prefer a .22LR for squirrels.

9. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Bunch of squirrel killers here. Let me know when its open season on drug-dealers. I'm in :D

10. Shortfuse

Shortfuse New Member

Big Cat 1200

I have a Gamo Big Cat 1200 it comes with a 4x32 scope this rifle is extreamly accurate once lts broken in its a .177 cal. I use Crossman Ultra Magnum 10.5 Grain pellets aim for the eye even if your off a little its still a head shot. I have dumped 100s of these tree rats this way. I have also been very succesful with 10.5 Grain Kodiacs,Crossman Destroyers and Gamo Red Fires. These pellets all group pretty much the same out of my rifle. My longest kill shot with this rifle has been 43 yards but you can set this gun up to be super deadly inside 30 yards. Another thing is the scope spend a few bucks on a scope made for pellet rifles regular scopes cant take the pounding the spring dishes out Im on my third but Ive pushed 1000s of pellts through this rifle. One other thing the trigger is cheap but its an adjustable two stage trigger and you can upgrade this rifle with things like a trigger or gas piston

11. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Walmart sells a dual barrelled beeman that puches 1200 or so with both barrels that way you have both worlds

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have one. Mine is set up with the 22 barrel and I put a 2-7x32 AO air rifle scope. The 4X that came with it is useless. Mine likes the Crossman Hunter pellets and is very accurate. A friend has the same one and uses it to kill rabbits at 50'-75'. He aims for the head and has not had any run off.

13. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I have one also but i bought mime NIB at an auction for $50 with a walther 3x9x32 air rigle scope thrown in. I also have an early 90's gamo sasquatch pump up that they used to train for the olympics that has a 3-12x40 benjamin air rifle scope on it. Its also .177 or 22. I shoot the 177 more with destroyers by crossman. I had to stop usen it cuz my hag of a neighbor called the cops sayin i was "using a sniper rifle on the stray cats" there was at one time about 60 stray/feral/abandoned cats around my house. All because it has a suppressor/componsator on the end of it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  14. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

If you want to spend the full $300 get what I used to have,the RWS Diana 350 magnum.It will easily shoot a lead .22cal pellet @1,000.You put a wadcutter pellet from that into a squirrel and I guarantee you will drop them faster than a .22LR bullet,don't listen to critisizim on that statement,I have witnessed it first hand many times over.

15. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Very true;D