Good 5.45x39mm ammo?

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Force4000, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Force4000

Force4000 New Member

Hello everyone trying to get some input on everyones favorite ammo to use. I myself have only tried WOLF non-corrosive ammo. There locally for sale for $5.79 for 30 rounds. Seem solid but also had a few problems, the first bullet was a dud right out of the box... Anyone else have any suggestions?

2. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

I shoot corrosive 5.45x39 ammo just because it is so cheap.
    I have a few friends that use this cal. so we do a group buy on this ammo & get it for as low as 10.8 cents per round.
    It takes a little more cleaning but for that price it is worth it, I buy in bulk at least one case at a time, that is 2160 rds per case.
    Here is where I get mine, last time I bought two cases that was 10.8 cents per round + shipping.
    http://www.usarmorycorps.com/index....n=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53&vmcchk=1&Itemid=53

If you want to stay with non-corrosive try going to Brown Bear or Silver Bear it is a lot better ammo, for about the same price.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012

3. Force4000

Force4000 New Member

yea seems like a pretty good deal. I was reading all the topics about corrosive and non-corrosive ammo. Would like to give it a try.

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Get case lots of Russian 7N6 surplus. Corrosive, but great ammo at a good price. 7N6 also has a steel penetrator core so be careful with it.

5. Force4000

Force4000 New Member

6. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

Keyholing will also occur when you shoot a heavy small diameter round without a fast enough twist in the rifling in the barrel. Any time you don't have enough spin on a projectile it will become unstable & will keyhole. The smaller the diameter the faster spin is needed & the larger diameter the less spin is needed.
    The more weight in a small projectile needs more spin & the heaver the weight in a large projectile the less spin is needed to stabilize the round.