good 4in barrel 357 under 400

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by rem870forever, Aug 5, 2013.

1. rem870forever

rem870forever New Member

So far all I've found is eaa windicator

2. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

You might get a used Ruger SP101 for that, but more likely you will have to raise your budget a bit.

3. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Under $400 is a pretty tough price point for a quality revolver new. Used you might come across a Ruger Security Six or S&W 19/66.

4. vincent

vincent New Member

Another $150 gets you a brand spankin' new Ruger GP100...

You've managed to save $400, keep going...

Skimp on groceries, not on firearms...:cool:

5. JW357

JW357 New Member

My S&W 66 cost me $475, used. Love the gun, extremely happy with it.

I agree with continuing to save. Another $200 tops will get you some quality firearms.

6. rem870forever

rem870forever New Member

How does the rossi 972 compare to eaa windicator

7. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I looked at a Rossi at a local farm store and I've looked at the EAAs when GM puts them for $299. Neither impresses me as going to be a long term use revolver. The EAA is really heavy but I don't think heavily built. I would be leary of running hot loads or even hotter factory stuff.

The Rossi just didn't seem up to snuff. The finish looks a little cheap and I would also question durability. I would take another Taurus before either of those.

I am comparing these guns to the standard of my S&W 686 so maybe I'm being a bit harsh. I've gone through the cheap and more guns phase and now I would rather buy less guns at a higher quality.

8. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

For that price or less, you can pick up something similar to a used S&W 65-2, full size revolver in .357 mag. Many of these types of guns were carried much and shot little and are in mechanically new condition. I have one stashed for my wife's "Alamo" gun.

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Sometimes you can find a Dan Wesson 15-2 in that price range. Most cheap Dan Wessons have a lot of miles on them but they shoot good. Take someone with you that knows revolvers or have it shipped to a gunsmith that does FFL transfers. My gunsmith is not cheap or quick. He charges $60 for a transfer and it takes him a couple days to get around to inspecting the gun. But he sees things that I wouldn't see for weeks. He isn't excited to be getting a new gun. He is just doing his job.

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You can find some very good used Ruger Security Six revolvers for about $350. They came in blue or stainless.

11. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I second the suggestion for a used Security Six

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

Shop used at pawn shops. No telling what you might find. Everybody is falling all over themselves for tactical ****.

13. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I too would have thought the tactical craze would have brought out all kinds of revolvers, non-tactical shotguns and hunting rifles onto the used market for cheap prices. It has not worked out that way in my area.

14. JTJ

The last gun show I went to had quite a few very decently priced Ruger and S&W revolvers.

15. phildenton

phildenton New Member

i also recommend the ruger "sixes", security, police service, and speed. they are solid and accurate. mine is my edc

16. Geosully

Geosully New Member

I second the motion for a six series, but they are becoming harder to find. Those that ended up owners are proud of them. My 4" stainless speed six will not be sold.

17. JTJ

It has been a year since the last post. He should have bought one by now.

18. Geosully

Geosully New Member

You're right. I read the date wrong.

19. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I had an EAA Windicator. For the money it is a good gun. I ran full powered 357 mags through mine. Mine was a 2 inch model. I am sorry I sold it.

20. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Yeah I wouldn't be getting rid of any older S&W, Ruger, or Colt DA revolvers. I'd love to find a used one for use as a "Truck" gun....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk