good 44 mag target round

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by DEagle13, Nov 20, 2011.

1. DEagle13

DEagle13 New Member

whats a decent cheap 44 mag target round?

2. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I dont think there is one... Maybe check out federal, i dont think that their as painful as others

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Hard cast Handloads are about the cheapest,They're also the dirtiest.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yeah when it comes to .44 mag, cheap is relative. There is a cheap reloading kit made by lee. That's probably the best you can do.

5. tookalisten

tookalisten New Member

Reloading is about the only way to go "cheap" with .44 mag. I really like Alliant Red Dot at 6.5 grains with 240 gr cast LSWC - comes out around 900 fps and is very comfortable to shoot.

If buying commercial, the white box Winchester jacketed soft points runs good as well and is about as cheap as you can find.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i reload both 44 mag and 44 spec for my pistol. i really like shooting it and factory ammo is expensive for it.

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

WWB in 240 grain SJFP is cheap, but you have to be careful to

hold the DE44 right,

and keep it scrupulously clean. Hilarious muzzle blast, too.

The great thing I've found about the DE44 is that since it shoots

the heavier bullets well, it's well worth resolving your issues

and using it as a common ammo pistol for a .44 rifle, because

it will easily digest any load your rifle can shoot.

8. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

Reloading is the way to go. Check out Berry's Manufacturing for plated bullets. Almost as cheap as lead but a lot cleaner.

9. DEagle13

DEagle13 New Member

what is the most "dangerous" part of reloading?

10. tookalisten

tookalisten New Member

There is really no danger in reloading - there is more danger in driving your car to work.

Pay attention to what you are doing - (I do not have a TV, radio, or phone in my reloading room), read up, wear safety glasses, follow published data (not some guy's loads on the internet), start at min loads and work up your own favorites - that's what makes it fun. Also, take a lot of notes on your loads, shooting comments, and accuracy for each.

I find reloading as relaxing as any hobby I have.

11. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

If you want an good economical 44 magnum round you'll need to start reloading.

Reloading is a lot of fun. As mentioned, just start slow and work up, avoid distractions and pay attention to what you are doing. You only published reloading data, if you stay within those specs there is no increased danger at all. If you have any questions, stop and ask.

Reloading for magnum handguns is my personal favorite....i enjoy it more then my shotguns, rifles and target rounds.

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

AFAIK, accidentally "double charging" a round with powder.

Many of us avoid this by immediately pressing the bullet

as soon as the cartridge is charged with powder.

It slows down the process, but enhances the safety

factor.

13. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

No real danger. As said by others just take your time and be careful (read a couple of reloading books). There are so many different bullets and powder out there you can find something to use for any situation. For an inexpensive pistol load (paper punching) I use Bullseye powder with coated lead bullets (Spear) and keep the FPS below 1000. If you start reloading you'll find yourself shooting a-lot more!

14. The ONLY dangerous part in reloading

Is not paying attention.

One must pay attention, but other than that, it's just reading and following directions.

It's about as dangerous as driving on the freeway and for the same reasons.