Good .40 cal handgun

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by jeffkaiser1989, Oct 4, 2013.

1. jeffkaiser1989

jeffkaiser1989 New Member

So ive been looking seriously into becoming a LEO. Toledo Police Department has mandated that their officers have to carry a .40cal handgun. I've been doing some research on different guns including glock and sig sauer and would perfer a non polymer compact .40 over a full size due to my hand size. Any input is appreciated.

2. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Sig p229. You can get that in dao or da/sa. Great all round versatile handgun.

3. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

You may want to check if the department has certain models on a list to pick from . They are not footing any of the bill??

4. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I would be surprised if a dept. that size does not have a standard issued weapon, but hey stranger things have happened.

I agree with the Sig 229 recommendation. I carried one for years before we went to the 226. If you have to purchase it yourself the price can be a little steep but if you want a non polymer mid size pistol you won't be sorry. And what's a couple extra shekels over the course of years you will carry it.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

10mm and .40S&W are both .40 caliber.
    Get a Dan Wesson C-BOB.

6. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I have small hands and prefer the feel of a CZ-75 over most semi-autos. They just feel better to me. Most other autos feel like a 2x4. Check out to see if the police departments let you use your own, or if you have to use one of their issued guns first.

7. DP03

DP03 New Member

I'm a big Sig fan so I like the P229 mentioned above. But I have to say my personal favorite is the H&K USP 40.

8. cllowe

cllowe New Member

The 229 is awesome but I would have to go with a glock 23. I know, I know........

9. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

I would have suggested that as well but he said "non polymer". I think the glock 23 is the best polymer compact 40 on the market. I foolishly sold my 229 but still have my 23.

10. Jake86

Jake86 New Member

May I ask why you are against polymer pistols? I mean the Glock and the M&P line up are proven. More LE Agencies use them than anything else.

I know that Sig's are another popular choice, but damn I hate the factory trigger reset of a Sig. (Just my personal preference)

May I suggest you try renting a few at the range, and seeing what you like best then?

Most polymer pistols have adjustable back straps to accommodate smaller or larger hands.

Just something to think about. Good luck with everything....

11. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Anna, The reason I did not buy a CZ is because it is too thin for my hands. My fingers are too wide. There is a always the perfect gun out there if you do your research. Happy you found yours. :D

OP,

I love my .40 HK USP. It is just right for me. The compact one might be down your alley. Variants of the USP are used by various international police, militaries and special units.

12. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

I second the usp 40. Just got to shoot one the other day. Feels good and had a clean trigger break. Never shot a 40 before that. Thinking of picking one up now if i can find one.

13. 304inc

304inc New Member

For me the usp 40 fits all my needs in a pistol, flawless operation( atleast mine),, 13+1 ,, tack driver..
    Shot plenty of pistols through the years and my hk is the one on my hip every day. Because my confidence it will work if needed.

ForumRunner_20131006_152211.jpg

14. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

She looks good. Ive got about 700 now. Still trying to save.

15. 304inc

304inc New Member

Keep checking the online gun stores such as budsguns. I imagine you could run across a used one for about that much. Keep in mind used doesn't mean junk,, we're talking USP's, most people can't afford the amount of ammo it would take to wear one of these tanks out. Certainly not me, I'm around 2,000 rounds and her action is still like butter. And mine came to me used,no telling how many rounds have been fed this pistol ........

16. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

Im def guna do that. Tganx for tge advice!!

17. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Grip panel choices make a huge difference with the CZ 75 series (much like 1911s.) I have relatively large hands and the CZ walnut grips are great at filling the hand.

The USP is nice, but the OP was specific in his preference for a "Non-polymer" option.

To the OP:
    Worth noting: going compact vs. full size may not help with regard to hand size, they are usually just shorter, not thinner.

Does your prospective dept have a preferred list of candidates? Seems like even if they don't care all that much, they might have issues with someone showing up with a HiPoint or something truly odd or obscure.

Sig- pick one, you probably can't go too far wrong, top shelf quality. Downside? Top shelf pricing.
    CZ - Not as popular and and can be a challenge to find. Great value, deserves to be more popular, not just a cult favorite. (Clearance pricing compared to most other euro zone pistols.) Also a popular service weapon outside the US.
    Beretta - might be worth a look if your tastes run that way.
    Stoeger Cougar - Turkish built Berretas at fire sale prices.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  18. jeffkaiser1989

Good advice ill find out more when i go on my ride a long tonight as to if the department is specific. I prefer non polymer guns thats just my personal preference if i need a polymer gun ill probably do either a glock or a HK. Thanks for all the advice guys ill be sure to take it into account when i get far enough down the road. Like i said ill find out more tonight and ill post when i have more information.

19. jeffkaiser1989

TPD'S standard department issue is a sig sauer p229 in .40 cal. Department provides the hand gun as well as a 12 gauge Remington 870 pump action shotgun and a military grade m16 or m4.

20. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Consider a Stoeger 8040 "Cougar". Great price ($425 range), all metal, rotating barrel lockup feature provides great accuracy. Made by Stoeger (the shotgun guru's) using Beretta design. 3 5/8" barrel, 11+1 capacity, phoscoat/Teflon finish which they call "Bruniton" (sturdy and literally waterproof). I've had mine for 4 years, carry it frequently, shoot it a couple of times a month at the range, and there are no signs of wear on the finish. (This is not a commercial, I just like the gun).
    There is a thread for the Cougar on the forum, you may want to check it out.
    It comes in model 8000, which is 9MM; model 8040, which is the .40 cal version; and I think there is a .45 cal model, also.
    Originally designed and marketed for police.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013