Good 38 Special self defense round

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by spittinfire, Feb 26, 2009.

1. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Guys, my wife isn't good enough with a semi auto and she doesn't like shooting my 9 even when I help here. I won't hand her my 45 ACP and my 357 mag is out of the question. What I'm left with is my 357 being fed with 38s or 38 +P's. I'm looking for help with a good 38 round, any suggestions?

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Speer Gold Dot 125 gr .38+P. Gaping HP, 100% weight retention for adequate penetration and manageable recoil.

3. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

My own current favorite is the Federal +P .38 Special with the 158gr. NyClad hollow point bullet. But I don't think these are still made. I really liked the old Winchester +P 158gr. JHP.

Bob Wright

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The Nyclad was a very good bullet for this app. I do not think they are making it any more. 158 gr +p may be a bit much for a recoil sensitive lady. don't want to scare her off.

5. Supar

Supar New Member

I personally like corbon 110gr JHP +P. Light recoil and decent energy for a .38 at around 300ft/lbs.

6. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Robo got it right again! Possibly THE BEST .38 defense load currently being loaded.

7. Quis custodiet

Quis custodiet New Member

+2 on the Speer +P load.

8. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

My own take on the 110~125 gr. JHP is their inability to penetrate deep enough at times. They often expand too fast and stop before reaching vital organs. This especially true in cold weather when heavy clothing might have to be penetrated.

Bob Wright

9. BeatlesSteve

BeatlesSteve New Member

I have a .38 Special Ruger SP-101 3" barrel, I bought the +P gold dot 135 gr bullets today. I have read a lot of good things about those bullets.

Do you have any experience with buffalo bore ammo? From what I have read the 158 gr +P bullet packs one hell of a punch based on the statistics.

10. spittinfire

Anyone have any experience with Hornady's Critical Defense?

11. NYPD13

NYPD13 New Member

Had the same issue with my wife. I keep Speer Gold Dot 125gr 38+p in our Ruger Service Six 357mag. This load works quite well for her.

12. s2harry

s2harry New Member

The Speer Gold Dot will do for light weight 38s. The best 38 defense load is the Remington plus p 158 grain semi wad cutter hp. I believe they are a little softer than Winchester and Federal.

13. spittinfire

My wife shot 130gr FMJ Reminton's this past weekend. She shot a 4" group at 10 yards. I"m going to load hers with 125 +p Gold Dots. With the laser grip she'll be fine. Than you for the input and any input further would be appreciated.

14. Merc187

Merc187 New Member

Never thought I would have owned a .38 Special until I won one at a Friends of the NRA benefit. Had the same problem finding a suitable self defense round that my GF could control. I carry Corbon's in my HK .40 and paired my S&W Hamerless J frame (sporting NRA logo'd Crimson Trace laser grips) with the 38 Special+P 110gr DPX. Definately the girlfriend's favorite weapon. Recoil does not seem to bother her, but the 8-9 pound trigger pull does.

The bullet on these Corbon loads is from Barnes. Supposed to retain 100% of it's weight on impact. Hopefully, that will never have to be tested.

15. wildbillfromca

wildbillfromca New Member

Hornady is making a new hollowpoint handgun bullet that is designed to defeat clothing with a plastic tip and then expand with devastating effect. Check it out.

16. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

The following is from a 1996 Guns & Ammo article titled "Street-Stoppers". Unlike computers, ammo and ballsitics tests don't become obsolete!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  17. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I like the 125gr XTP from Hornady.

18. gwHawker

gwHawker New Member

I have shot the Hornady critical defense 38+P at the range. Very accurate at 15 to 20 yards with LCR, LOL and you can feel the power.

19. 1861

1861 New Member

Anymore all I use is Hornady Critical Defense . Great ammo .

20. SIGe-nox

SIGe-nox New Member

speer +p or maybe even try the new Critical Defense rounds that are out there. I heard that they are a pretty decent hitting round and expand uniformly and reliably.