Good 22lr handgun for my mom!

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by armed1212, Dec 19, 2011.

1. armed1212

armed1212 New Member

Hello all got a question for you, took my mom-n-law shooting last week. She wasn't having a good time shooting most of the guns we had except my lil phoenix 22lr. No big bang or recoil just what she needs, Now my Phoenix is a good gun for me (a young guy good with his hands) but I think it's to complicated for her so I looking for advise on what should I have her test out. HELP! Never thought I'd be saying this line from a movie " stop or my mom will shoot! "

2. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

An instructor could help her step to a larger caliber. .380 is a nice compromise. A .22 is better then no gun

3. orangello

orangello New Member

http://www.firearmstalk.com/classifieds/sampw-mdl-17-22lr-4-screw-revolver-40.html

This has probably sold by now and isn't inexpensive, but do you want to go low bidder on your mom, yaknow.

If she wanted something less traditional, a ruger 10-22 charger might be interesting for target practice, but isn't really "handy" to me: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_49_74/products_id/53650

I have an old AMT knockoff of a Ruger Mark II that i really enjoyed. similar to: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_49_74/products_id/55874

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  4. armed1212

armed1212 New Member

We had 2 different .380's with us p238 and lcp she didn't like them. She want it so her And the father n law and spend more time together so it would be for range mostly. Now father n law owns a ruger 357 which she won't even look at. It's gotta be 22lr but I do agree with her taking a class but try tell that to a old lady. Another issue is cleaning I'm thinking seens dad got a revolver maybe look at a 22lr revolver. Trying to stay under 350 bucks or less

5. orangello

orangello New Member

I'm not a big Taurus fan myself, but this has big squishy grips for very little recoil: Taurus 970B6 22LR TKR 6.5" AS Blued $346.00 SHIPS FREE

I would just go to that site and browse handguns by caliber to find some that interest you & post up a link for feedback on those models.

Does she like the cowboy look or semi-auto or stainless or blued, etc. etc.

6. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I recommend that you take her to some local shops and help her along with the process of deciding on a firearm. Help her with things to look for like how it feels, functionality, and ect. I'm thinking a good .22LR revolver might do the trick for her, because it's very simple compared to a semi automatic, and it will help her learn the fundamentals of shooting. Not to mention that since the .22LR has virtually no recoil it will help her warm up to firearms. If there's a range in your area that has a rental program I would try that out, and see if she finds anything she likes or atleast has a chance to learn some more mechanics of how a firearm works.

7. rsfrid

rsfrid New Member

:cool: ^ What he said. I like the Ruger Single Six convertible as it offers two options (LR plus 22mag) and is as simple as simple gets. Just my 2 cents.

8. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'd take her and let her find what she likes best.

You might just be surprised.

The smaller 22s have more muzzle blast/flip and so she might like

a larger 22, with a longer barrel.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if she is looking for a 22lr for a range gun, then my suggestion would be to check out the Ruger Mark III pistols or the Mark III 22/45. very accurate and some of them aren't very expensive either. seems like most people who try them out like them.

10. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Ruger SP 101 in 22LR.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  11. armed1212

armed1212 New Member

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm think of getting them a gift card for my local range for christmas. I feel the revolver will do the trick. And planning on trying to push her to go a Class. I will update everyone when she picks

12. Simpleman

Simpleman New Member

I would look at sig mosquito. It's an Awesome feeling gun and with the right ammo extra reliable. My 2cents

13. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Ooh, me likey! THIS (or something like it) could be the ticket...

14. fupuk

fupuk New Member

I bought my oldlady the pink sig mosquito for christmas because she wanted a range gun. But she has a glock 17 but every time we go to the range she looks at the sig. It was $360 nib so its only $10 more than you wanted to spend. Hopes it helps.

15. bostonscottkelly

bostonscottkelly New Member

Take all the negative things you hear about the Sig mosquito into consideration before you go in that direction because based on the 3000 plus rounds I have put through mine over the last few months....that feedback is accurate. They look & feel great but constant issues....

16. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Yah i heard the same thing about it after i bought it. But some research on the internet ive found out that most of the problems with it can be resolved with a little work done at home with the spring set up in the frame and trigger. And it was only $360 so it will be my ''dummy gun'' so i can mess around with it and get it to run better. Ive got a Gp 100 and my oldlady has a glock so its not for SD its a range gun. Honestly if the gun was mine i would have got a mark III and never regreted it. And around me a brand new ruger markIII is right around $300 out the door.

17. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Have you considered a Heritage Rough Rider? They come in various barrel lengths. I have had one for well over 10 years. My Wife and I and the kids have shot the crap out of it. The worst thing that has ever happened was a screw came loose one time. 30 seconds with a screw drive and it was like new again. It doesnt get much simpler than a single action. And they can be bought brand new for well under $200. I have seen them new for $165.00

18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter