Good .223 Bullet for Deer?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by texaswoodworker, Oct 26, 2013.

1. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

First off, yes. I know .223 is not popular with some for hunting deer since they see it as "underpowered". I think that theory is BS based on what I have seen/heard from friends and family who have used .223 for years to hunt deer, and from what I've read on numerous sites and forums. If you put the round where it needs to go, it will take down a deer just fine.

Now then, on to the purpose of this thread. I plan on going deer (whitetail) hunting this year, and wanted to use a .223. I'm trying to decide on what bullet I want to use. (I reload, so I was planning on making my own). I'm trying to decide between either some 65gr Sierra GameKing bullets, or some Barnes TSX bullets (62gr, or 70 gr). Any opinions on these two, or any recommendations on other bullets?

My rifle has a 1:7 twist, so it should be able to handle the 60gr-80gr bullets just fine shouldn't it?

Thanks. :)

2. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Cant answer your other question about an effective round but can answer the one about the 1 in 7

1:7 was almosta bit of an overtwist even for M855 62 gr.
    I had a chart somewhere but I lost it :eek:

Your 70, 75 and 77 gr common loads should do real well with that twist for accuracy.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Aaron,Use the Sierra 65 grain Gameking's.
    I've used them for years,and they work very well on whitetails out to 200 yards. Shot placement is a must when using a 223,but the 65 grain Sierra's will do the job quickly.

4. CallMaker

CallMaker New Member

I would choose either the Winchester 64 grain Power Point or the Nosler 60 grain Partition. Both have performed well for me.

5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

The Winchester 64 grain Power Point is a great bullet,but it's impossible to find any right now. I've never had any luck getting the Nosler Partitions to shoot great out of my 223's.

6. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

Have you given any thought to the fusion 62 grainer? They shoot great out of most 223s I've shot them in and there is (in my opinion) not a better bullet out there for deer size game...but I quit looking after I found them. I have see a bunch of 223 64 grain power points up here at xabelas in Louisville the last few weeks.

7. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Federal website has some ammo breakdown for deer hunting, compared to varmint bagging!

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/rifle.aspx

223 Rem 64 grain Soft-Point Power-Shok
    223 Rem 62 grain Fusion, Fusion
    223 Rem 62 grain Fusion, Fusion MSR
    223 Rem 60 grain Nosler Partition, Vital-Shok

Note: MidwayUSA has the Federal Fusion Ammo, 62 grain spritzer Boat Tail

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/91...emington-62-grain-spitzer-boat-tail-box-of-20

8. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Are you planning on buying factory loads or are you working up your own?

9. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

That's a decent price. I am paying 22 bucks a box for the fusions where I'm at. You can get those shipped for 20.85.

10. texaswoodworker

Working up my own of course. :D

11. texaswoodworker

Thanks for the info guys. I'm kind of leaning towards the Sierra GameKings now. I know where I can get them for a good price.

12. CallMaker

CallMaker New Member

Bear in mind that Sierra does not recommend this bullet for anything but varmints and small game. Your milage may vary.....

13. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Check out Norinco. They have some amazing bullet designs if you can find them.

image-4184154575.jpg

Doesn't look like a .223 wound does it? [url="http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.223+Remington.html]Image found here.[/url]

14. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

For long-range match purposes, long, high-BC bullets are favored for their ability to buck the wind. You'll want at least a 1:8" twist to shoot the 77gr and 80gr MatchKings and 80gr Bergers. To shoot the new 90gr pills, a 1:6.5" is recommended, though a true 1:7" will work in most conditions.

Overall, what twist rate is best? For varminting we like a 12-twist. The slower twist will give you a bit more velocity, and minimize the risk of jacket failure at high rpms. For general use, an 8-twist barrel will let you shoot the excellent 77gr and 80gr Sierra MatchKings and nearly all varieties of non-tracer milsurp ammo. We'd only select a 1:7" or faster twist barrel if we had a need to shoot the 90gr VLDs.

15. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Shot placement being key is an understatement. I shot a mule deer doe in Montana this weekend with a 30-06. Was not a difficult shot, even a little under a hundred yards. She took off right as I was pulling the trigger (can't do a damn thing about that) and I shot it thru the pelvis with a 30-06. Went clear thru and broke both legs. I felt terrible about that and ran in to finish it off quickly Not the most humane kill but anybody who ever shot a muley knows this happens. They hop like they are on pogo sticks Pretty sure a .223 in that situation would have resulted in a runaway deer to be found later at the bottom of a Cooley. So yeah shot placement is great. You are not firing at paper targets though.

16. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I have killed deer using 65gr Sierra Gameking bullets in my handloads and shooting a scoped Mini-14 with a 1:9 twist. Very good deer slayer out to 100-150yrds. Nosler Partition 60gr and Barnes 62gr are two I would like to try one day but for the price the Gameking is a no brainer.

17. texaswoodworker

Thanks guys for the info. I ended up buying the 65gr GameKings at my local reloader's shop, so I'll let you guys know how I like them when I get a chance to use them. :)

18. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The 1/7 is over twist for the 62 gr FMJ, but was needed for the much longer 62 gr Tracer.

I love the Power Point. I have heard horror stories about the lack of weight retention, but 60 grains of retained weight after traversing a 65 lb Coyote from left hip to right shoulder is good enough for me. On Texas deer it would be up to the task of neck shots. I would not risk chest shots on a 22 caliber centerfire. I woul be hesitent with a 6mm/.243

19. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

To each their own robo, and I would never try to change someone's mind about what they feel is adequate for whitetails, but I love the 223 for deer.my next favorite cartridge would be the 243. All of which I take chest shots with. My farthest kill on whitetail has been just a hair under 250 yards and I used a 243 chest shot and it went down after a few steps. with a 223 my farthest shot is 125 and I think that would be about the limits of a 223 for deer. And that's big ky deer.