good 22 for plinking full size

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by 13andloveguns, Apr 8, 2012.

1. 13andloveguns

13andloveguns New Member

I want a good 22 for some range fun any suggestions??

2. readygirl

readygirl New Member

The indoor range i go to rents the RUGER MARK-II for $10 an hour, so i know they see a lot of use. They are probably reliable, and not real fussy, or they probably would have went with something else. You should go to your range and look at what they have,and recommend. See if you can rent the one you like before you buy it, and take it for a test drive LOL.... The guys that run the range i go to will let me shoot pretty much anything in the shop, if i ask them real nice, and offer to sweep up brass, or help around the shop.

3. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

I'd look for a conversion kit for whatever it is your running now.

4. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I am currently in love with my Ruger Mark III 22/45 Target Model. I picked it up barely used and put a Tru-glo red dot on it. Really accurate and through 300 rounds of CCI Mini-Mags without a single issue.

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have a Mark II and I love it. She eats anything I put through it and she is very accurate. But there are other .22's that are quite good, too. You can't go wrong with a good .22 for plinking fun, that's for sure.

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I would NOT---
    You can find good complete 22's for the same or even less than conversion kits, plus MOST of the "kits" are not that reliable :(
    I have a Chiappa 1911-22 that i gave about $300 for- Ruger Mark series can be had for about the same or even less used :)

7. DX1

DX1 New Member

Like my Sig Mosquito a lot and it was great for introducing my (then teenaged) kids to handguns.

8. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

I and one of my sons bought the Beretta U22 Neos. We opted for the 4" barrels over the 6". While it looks like something out of Robocop, it is really a very nice plinker. The full length rail makes for more versatility to mount a sight or scope if you ever wanted to. It's priced below the Ruger and is a very comfortable .22 to shoot. My wife absolutely loves shooting it.

9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Ruger has some fine 22 Target Pistols! But I am partial to my Browning Benchmark!
    I use to have a 4" High Standard Victor *Which I never should have traded! Always have been sorry I did and probably will find another one some day. I won a few State Matches with it. Although they are hard to come by now days, is the reason I did not suggest that one! And certainly depends upon the old budget issue!

10. Westy

Westy New Member

I considered a kit for my Springfield 1911, but it says in the manual, this is not recommended, and I guess that's good enough for me.

11. 13andloveguns

13andloveguns New Member

I tried a browning buckmark and it amazing especially with accuracy

12. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

Having a dedicated 22 is always a plus. Two guns are usually better than one. But IMO I think training with the weapon you'd be using in a critical situation can never be a bad thing. By converting your firearm with a 22 conversion kit, you'd be training with what your used to using while also saving a ton of $$ on ammo. Just my opinion.

13. 13andloveguns

13andloveguns New Member

Ive tried a chiappa 1911 22 and it was junck it wouldnt blowback far enough to load the new shell and it would always misfire

14. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

How about a good SA Revolver. I would recommend the Ruger Single Six. Fun too shoot, will eat any .22 ammo and very accurate.

15. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Mine runs 100% but i dont run cheep bulk ammo in it -

16. 13andloveguns

13andloveguns New Member

I always used the big 500 round federal box and it still wasnt good quality but my some of my freinds had good luck with them

17. 13andloveguns

13andloveguns New Member

I was gonna get one until i found it was a 22 mag but thanks

18. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

That was the problem - MOST 22 semi-auto handguns don't do well with "bulk" ammo - CCI mini mag has always served well in all mine :)

19. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

Best of luck with whatever it is that you choose to get :)