Goldenrod Dehumidifier ???

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by CHLChris, Jul 2, 2011.

1. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

My father-in-law just (3 hours ago) installed a 18" Goldenrod dehumidifier. It isn't even warm yet. How long until we think it is a bigger problem?

The plug seems to be installed correctly. Should we buy a better plug end? The included plug end seems a bit chintzy with those two pokey prong thingies.

Help!

2. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I use one in my gun safe. It will take a couple hours before it gets warm. But it's not a heater, so it won't get super hot. Just enough to dry the moisture out of the air.

The plug is meant to be like that so it can be removed and the cord be ran through a small hole in the floor of the safe. I've had mine since December and it's been perfect.

3. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I dont have the Goldenrod kind, But I have a similar rod style dehumidifier. It works great and isnt supposed to get hot, Barely even warm to the touch.. You will see the difference over time though...

4. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

This morning it was still clod so I opened up the plug end, cut off 1/2" of cord and re-set the prongs into the copper. One minute after plugging it in, the rod was warming up to the touch.

The Goldenrod states it will get to about 150 degrees, not enough to burn you, but more than enough to be pretty uncomfortable to touch.

I'm glad it is now working. Another job better done myself rather than my well meaning father-in-law.

Thanks guys for your thoughts!