Golden goose?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by McCakie, Aug 20, 2013.

1. McCakie

McCakie New Member

So I'm thinking that I'm gonna have to compromise one way or the other to get what I want but maybe you guys know of something that I don't

I'm wanting to get into hunting with a pistol because a rifle is getting a little heavy to pack with all of my gear into my favorite hunting hole. What I'm hoping for is a 6 shot revolver that has more power behind it than a .357 but less recoil than a .44

The distances ill be hunting at are less than 200 yards and dense pine forest. The target is deer and elk... If it can also double a defensive role against bears as well that's a bonus.

What are your thoughts and suggestions?

2. lucznik

lucznik New Member

You've just given the quintessential definition of the .41 Magnum. It is exactly what you describe.

Cons ti this choice will be that the gun will likely be more difficult to find, as will ammo and, what you do find will likely be more expensive.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Almost matching performance of the .41 Magnum can be obtained with the 10mm in some loads.

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

+1 on the .41 Magnum. I've never shot one but that's exactly what I understand the round to be.

Or you could go with a particularly heavy framed .44 Magnum, and get the barrel mag-na-ported. That will help the recoil issue quite a bit.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

.41 Mag all the way. They recoil less than they should. I have 3 and they are my favorites. Screaming 170 gr Sierra JHC's @ 1600fps. 100 yards with a 4" barrel are quite doable. A scoped 6" is quite capable at 150 yards.

Heavy weight 250+gr flat nose are real thumpers with supreme sectional density

6. McCakie

McCakie New Member

I thought the .41 was a obsolete round that is almost impossible to find ammo for or even the gun itself. The 10mm caught my attention I want a delta elite really bad but in Colorado I'm pretty sure you're limited to a max of six rounds in a pistol for hunting and I'd rather hunt with it rather than have a shinny carry piece.

7. orangello

orangello New Member

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  8. JW357

JW357 New Member

If you're worried about finding ammo for the .41 Mag, you could reload for it.

Or get a .44 Mag, and get the barrel mag-na-ported. It will significantly reduce recoil and muzzle flip, from what I understand.

http://www.magnaport.com/

9. McCakie

McCakie New Member

A friend of mine just suggested a bolt action pistol made by Remington but didn't remember the model... It sounds kinda interesting... I like the idea of the mares leg but it just seems more cool and fun than practical

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

.41 Mag is a little more difficult to find than .44. I believe Buffalo Bore and a few others load ammo in .41

11. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Why not get a 44 magnum, single or double action, something like a Smith with a 8 and 3/8s barrel, put a handgun scope on it for some extra weight, and shoot 44 specials in it and work up to the magnums? Why handicap yourself with a 41 magnum? ;)
    Also by putting on a Hogue grip can tame the recoil of the 44 mag. I shoot one and enjoy it.

12. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

P.S. I wouldn't magna port a handgun because they are freaking loud enough already, and you might need some of that hearing to hear and take game in that hunting hole. ;)

13. mdauben

mdauben New Member

That would be the XP-100 from Remington. I'm not sure if its still in production or not, and AFAIK it was only chambered for rifle cartridges. The much more common alternative is the break action T/C Contender handgun which has interchangeable barrels and is available in a number of different rifle and pistol calibers.