Golani Sporter Galil "GLN" receivers

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by ARnoob, Feb 17, 2010.

1. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

From I've read about the Golani Sporter Galil's from Century, if I were to purchase one, my best bet would be to look for the receiver with the serial prefix of "GLN"? I believe that these are Caspian receivers.

Is there anything else that I should take into consideration and look for? I've wanted one for quite a while, but I have heard so many negative things about the CIA, Inc. Golani Sporters.

Thanks! :)

2. TexasShooter

TexasShooter New Member

I personally own one of these and haven't had any problems with mine. I bought it used and have found it to be a solid, accurate and fun to shoot rifle. In answer to your question, I simply can't tell you, mine is a GAL prefix.
    If you have any more questions, feel free to ask...

3. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

I'm glad that you like your and that it runs well. :)

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I would love a Galil! A Wasr3 is my second choice. I have 1000 rounds of Laquer cased 5.56 ammo that needs a gun! I have not heard negitives about the Century builds. Probobly the same old BS. The Tantal 5.45 builds they did have the wrong twist barrel, but that was fixed asap.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  5. TexasShooter

TexasShooter New Member

btw, mine has the 'F' stamped on the underside of the receiver so it is not part of the recall or has been 'fixed'. Sweet gun, and it also came with 5 magazines. :D
    jpattersonnh-feel free to stop by, I'll help you get rid of some of that ammo...
    ;)
    Jim

6. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

I'm not sure about the new WASR-3 builds, but I had one of the first ones and it was a jam-o-matic nightmare. The concept of an AK in 5.56/.223 really appeals to me, so I was pretty stoked when I bought that one for $349 several years ago.

During each shooting session, after about 50 rounds, I'd experience a FTE (failure to extract). The spent brass would stay in the chamber and the next round would feed into the back of the spent one.

Video here: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX3OXwXNXGI[/ame]

I used steel German and Romanian "Weiger" knock-off mags only. The mags weren't the issue. I spoke with several friends, and came to the conclusion that metal used in the rifle receiver and chamber in particular was of poor quality. When the rifle would heat up, the chamber would swell and not allow the extractor to remove the spent brass. I traded it back to the store for credit. I now have an Arsenal SLR-106FR, which is AWESOME! It cost about 2X that of the WASR-3, but it was worth it.

Let me know if you get a new WASR-3, and how it works. :)

7. devoeski

devoeski New Member

golani gal with F stamp

My new(to me) golani by century arms has prefix GAL and the F stamp. So you say this means its not recalled? What does the F mean? I'm glad to hear you guys like this weapon. I am happy to get a weapon that I've read if milled and assembled correctly has all the plus of AK and AR platform and none of the minus. Can you guys tell me what to look for problem wise? Will replacing the century barrel,spring,ramp etc with imi parts improve the function?

8. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

If you do replace them, you may be making a non-compliant AK.

9. TexasShooter

TexasShooter New Member

'GAL' prefix means it is an ORF Manufactured (Ohio Rapid Fire) receiver.
    'GLN' prefix means it is a Caspian receiver.
    The 'F' stamp means it has been modified with a spring loaded firing pin.
    Does your rifle shoot alright? If so, then you have a good one and consider yourself lucky my brother. If not- check out UziTalk, there's a couple guys there that are wizards on these things and can hook you up righteously.
    J
    (edited for speeling)

10. devoeski

devoeski New Member

replacing parts

I'm all for compliance,but let's say for argument sake I replaced the guts with better parts how would anyone know?

11. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

Thanks. I have yet to purchase one. It's kind of a back burner thought due to all the negative reviews of the Century Golanis. Henderson Defense claims to have some "certified" models for sale. I may check one out.

12. devoeski

devoeski New Member

cetified golani

the certified henderson golani is still a century arms rifle. tenngalil told me to run 3-500 rounds through mine and if i have no issues its a good one. supposedly they arent as bad all around as a few years back. but henderson's 579.00$ tag isnt bad either so its up to you. the construction on these battle rifles really are the best design,if big if the rifle you have is assembled and milled well..

13. aneyeisuponu

aneyeisuponu New Member

wish i was happier

it must be in luck of the pic, i have a GLN receiver.i read so many ups and downs but mine is junk,this thing bearly cycles and jams every 3rd round,half the time it cannot snatch the case due to it being so stuck in the barrel.i have used several grades of quality ammo,it will not take wolf