Going to the desert!

Discussion in 'California Gun Forum' started by motorcyclenut, Apr 19, 2014.

1. motorcyclenut

motorcyclenut New Member

Going to meet a couple shooting buddies out off the 98 (between the 8 and Calexico) Always a fun day, this time I will take pics and maybe make a report.

2. DoubleR

DoubleR New Member Supporter

Have a great time! :D

3. G30USMC

G30USMC Well-Known Member Supporter

Have fun, pics or it didn't happen :D

4. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

5. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

Arizona!

I'm thinking of going down to Az for the winter. I would be interested in your report on the situation.

6. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

Still Cali

7. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

What part of AZ?

8. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I'm in N.Az near Sedona, what do you want to know?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

9. motorcyclenut

motorcyclenut New Member

Left San Diego at 630, got there around 8.

Only 2 other groups shooting and they were not in our preferred spot so we set up our targets and started playing, oops I mean shooting.

I brought out 2 expired fire extinguishers (that have no way of being recharged) to put some holes in.

Tried out some new loads my H&R single shot S&W500 rifle. Shot some hand thrown clays and shot a bunch of pistols too.

There seemed to be a bunch of Border Patrol activity with their helicopters and 4 wheel ATV's, but they did not bother us or get in our line of fire.

Was pretty much exhausted by noon, so we cleaned up our mess and headed home.

I only go to the desert about once every 6 or 8 weeks or so. It is such a big production to load up and drive 90 miles (each way), EZ-Up, tables, ice chest, etc... But, where else can I really go to shoot up a couple fire extinguishers? I shoot 2 to 3 times a week at one of the 2 local clubs I am a member of and way closer than the desert.

I was glad I went!

Attached Files:

10. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

Nice! Thanks for the pics!

11. WonderingMind

WonderingMind New Member

I am further south near Tucson. Like DrFootball said, ask and we will answer as best as we can.

12. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Looks like fun. Doesn't the wind constantly blow there, though? We shoot at a big sandpit, surrounded by trees. The bottom is basically 30' below ground level. Even so, EVERY time we show up, it's blowing like crazy. To the point that we gave up on out EZ UP.

13. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

We used to go shooting (and 4 wheeling) in the Cleveland National Forrest just North of Ramona. Is that area still open?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  14. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Looks like great fun. I wish I had somewhere like that to plink. Let me also add I hope you guys clean up before you leave. I would hate for all that stuff to be left in the desert.

15. motorcyclenut

motorcyclenut New Member

Sometimes it is windy, but not yesterday. It was great!

16. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

Do you take your dirt bikes out to Ocotillo too? (Assuming you ride from your avatar...he he)

17. motorcyclenut

motorcyclenut New Member

Yes, we cleaned up as I mentioned in my report, and even took a little extra that someone else left behind. Actually filled up 3, 30 gallon garbage bags to bring back.

There used to be even more BLM areas closer to home that were good for shooting, but they ended up being closed because some people would use the place for a dump and blame it on the shooters. I think the anti-gun groups did it!

18. motorcyclenut

motorcyclenut New Member

I used to ride out there, but now in my older years tend to stick to the road and maybe some fire roads. BTW, the avatar is a 1968 picture I scanned in.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  19. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

We used to ride out in the canyons along the old dirt Black Mountain road in Pennasquitos.

20. motorcyclenut

motorcyclenut New Member

I am taking it you have not been here it quite while. No way you could do that now. Just as I used to ride off Palm and the 805 back in the early 70's, now it is all strip malls, big box stores and housing. Quite sad for those of us who remember the way it used to be.