Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy myself a new 1911 within the next week. Been saving up money for the past few months and I now have $2340.00 just waiting to be burned.


I already own 3 1911's:

Kimber Ultra CDP
Colt New Agent
Colt 1911-A1-----------> GREAT GRANDPA'S SIDEARM IN 1922.



So, I am pretty decenlty fluent with the 1911, but I would like to learn more, and possibly start carrying a 1911 as my duty carry weapon.


SHOUT AT ME! I'M OPEN TO ALL COMMENTS!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,292 Posts
Way too vague. And various 1911s tend to attract their own followers, so being vague will almost assuredly get people recommending what they like rather than what will fit your needs.

My recommendation, be a little more specific about what you want in the gun and what it's primary function would be. Then we can give you some better recommendations. Also it doesn't hurt to include one or two models that you have in mind already. This will give us a better idea of what you're looking for in terms of overall style.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,706 Posts
If I were looking to spend $2500 or so, I'd probably go with an Ed Brown. If spending closer to $1500, I'd opt for a Dan Wesson or higher end Springfield (TRP).

Nothing but personal preference. YMMV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Olympus said:
Way too vague. And various 1911s tend to attract their own followers, so being vague will almost assuredly get people recommending what they like rather than what will fit your needs.

My recommendation, be a little more specific about what you want in the gun and what it's primary function would be. Then we can give you some better recommendations. Also it doesn't hurt to include one or two models that you have in mind already. This will give us a better idea of what you're looking for in terms of overall style.
I'm actually asking for EVERYONE'S opinions, along with 1911 facts. Not being vague, just wanna hear what everyone else has to say about their 1911 thoughts, preferences, ownerships, and knowledge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,822 Posts
Cane, what does this one run price-wise?
The MSRP is ~$2700 but shop around, dealers can save you some money.

For example: here's a GRP Recon (has rail - MSRP ~$2900) for $2550.

Knesek Guns - GRP Recon

Call George at Gunslingers (248) 866-5105 and talk to him. I'm sure he can get you a great deal on the Nighthawk. Speak to George with respect and he will respond in kind, come off like a ninja (not that you would) and he'll hang up on you. Years ago when I worked at the GM Proving Ground I would drool over the guns they sold. Gunslingers is a stocking ‘preferred’ dealer for Nighthawk Custom. Tell George I'm still sending him customers.

Gunslingers
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
0 Posts
with the amount you have budgeted, i would look at Ed Brown, Nighthawk, Wilson Combat and Les Baer 1911's. i am sure that with taht much to spend, you will no doubt find one that suits your needs and wants. of the four makers i listed, Wilson Combat would be my personal first choice with Nighthawk coming in second if money was no object. another consideration is a Colt from their custom shop. they too can build you a very nice pistol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,928 Posts
Way too vague. And various 1911s tend to attract their own followers, so being vague will almost assuredly get people recommending what they like rather than what will fit your needs.

My recommendation, be a little more specific about what you want in the gun and what it's primary function would be. Then we can give you some better recommendations. Also it doesn't hurt to include one or two models that you have in mind already. This will give us a better idea of what you're looking for in terms of overall style.
I agree- AND you're asking a question thats been asked time after time after time after time----Forgive us for not wanting to answer it time after time after time :(
Read the 1911 section & do a search - PLENTY of answers to your "question"-
OR ask about one or two particular species ---------
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,292 Posts
HOSSFLY said:
I agree- AND you're asking a question thats been asked time after time after time after time----Forgive us for not wanting to answer it time after time after time :(
Read the 1911 section & do a search - PLENTY of answers to your "question"-
OR ask about one or two particular species ---------
+100

Do the initial legwork and get it narrowed down. The we can debate the finer points of 2 or 3 different guns. In terms of 1911s, chances are someone else has already asked the same question before. Sorry, fighting off a cold and might be being grouchy...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,822 Posts
Hey guys, did you read the OP?

"...and possibly start carrying a 1911 as my duty carry weapon."

That's what I used for my answer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
canebrake said:
Hey guys, did you read the OP?

"...and possibly start carrying a 1911 as my duty carry weapon."

That's what I used for my answer.
Thank ya, Cane.

I'm not looking to narrow it down, I'm asking for EVERYBODY'S opinions. There are a lot of 1911s out there, I want to hear ANYTHING about any of them.

While I am not naive, or ignorant, I am not anywhere near as well versed with the 1911 as I am my Glocks.

So, again, I'd like to hear ANYTHING pertaining to what 1911 would be a trusted weapon, capable of abuse and that would also look good enough for duty carry in a Sam Browne belt (Safariland holster).

Or anything else about em ;)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
0 Posts
NM-LEO, one of my new favorites is the SA Micro Compact 45 i purchased earlier this year. i kind of wanted an Officer sized 1911, but was a little hesitant at first due to the size and wondering about being able to shoot accurately with it due to increased recoil. after shooting it the first few times after buying it, all my doubts were erased. awesome shooting pistol and very accurate even with the short 3" barrel. i had never owned any 1911 that wasn't full sized before, and now am looking at getting a Commander sized one as well as the next 1911 purchase. so the Micro Compact size might be what you want to check into.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
axxe55 said:
NM-LEO, one of my new favorites is the SA Micro Compact 45 i purchased earlier this year. i kind of wanted an Officer sized 1911, but was a little hesitant at first due to the size and wondering about being able to shoot accurately with it due to increased recoil. after shooting it the first few times after buying it, all my doubts were erased. awesome shooting pistol and very accurate even with the short 3" barrel. i had never owned any 1911 that wasn't full sized before, and now am looking at getting a Commander sized one as well as the next 1911 purchase. so the Micro Compact size might be what you want to check into.
Thank ya! I'll have to check into it!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
0 Posts
Thank ya! I'll have to check into it!
your welcome! check out the Wilson Combat X-TAC 45 with the 4" barrel. that one really catches my eye for a smaller 1911 pistol. i really am impressed with their pistols and would love to have one, but they are a little more than i would spend on a pistol. they seem to have a excellent reputation for quality and accuracy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Axxe, what is that pic on your profile? A New Agent? I can't see it too well on my phone, but it looks slick!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
0 Posts
Axxe, what is that pic on your profile? A New Agent? I can't see it too well on my phone, but it looks slick!
NM, that is my SA Micro Compact Loaded 45 i bought earlier this year. awesome pistol! paid $1200 for it NIB from my LGS. he gave me a good price on it. here are some better pictures of it. i have since these were taken, changed out the slide stop release to an extended type and also changed the ambi-safety for a single sided one.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
axxe55 said:
NM, that is my SA Micro Compact Loaded 45 i bought earlier this year. awesome pistol! paid $1200 for it NIB from my LGS. he gave me a good price on it. here are some better pictures of it. i have since these were taken, changed out the slide stop release to an extended type and also changed the ambi-safety for a single sided one.
Niiiiice man that is sexy!
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top