going back in time

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by sharpshooter1997, Feb 15, 2013.

1. sharpshooter1997

sharpshooter1997 New Member

If you could go back to any age what would it be? Why?

2. orangello

orangello New Member

To age 16, to make most of the same mistakes all over again and enjoy them twice as much. :D Especially Wench.

3. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

22 -- the year of Woodstock! :)

4. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Been there, done that. Screw it!

5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

To 17. When I raised my right hand and swore the oath.

Or if I could go back knowing what I know now, to 13. Remembering all of the cuties I had the hots for in the senior high school next door.

6. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Hell, I have done so much in my lifetime, I could not live through doing all over again! Jeezzzt!

7. beltor

beltor New Member

I would go back to 15 knowing where the things I messed up last time.

8. jeffm

jeffm New Member

well that depends, knowing what I know now I would like to go back to about 10 so I can get more educated in the field I am trying to land a degree in. (such as learn other languages, get involved volunteering ect.)

If I am going back without knowing anything I would say about 16.

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

To the age of 15.
    B&W TV, Car hops at the local A&W, Coke in a glass bottle, and '55 chevy's were plentiful.

10. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I would like to go back to the American Revolution.
    For practice!

11. sharpshooter1997

sharpshooter1997 New Member

Yeah buddy

12. locutus

Well, if we could go back to a time before we were born, I would like to go back to the 1820s and be a mountain man!:p

13. Colby

Colby New Member

I think the World War two generation were a fine bunch of people. I think the thinking of those times and the morals and work ethic and patriotism - the general lack of greed and selfishness that we see nowadays - was exceptional. The business climate was good and business boomed, partly because the Government stayed out of your business for the most part, people were happier with simpler pleasures. Those were good times to be an American.

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

OK- now I am going to be throwing a wet towel in here (yeah, age 16, her name was Jackie- Lord, whatevah I done, doan strike me blind right now)

HOWEVER- setting that aside for a few minutes-

Yes. I recall the 80's- and home mortgage rates over 20%. Inflation that ate into your paycheck (if you had a job- and job hunting that meant reading newspaper ads, mailing resumes at the post office, and driving down to fill out an app.)

I recall the 70s. And the discovery of really incredible pollution (Love Canal, anyone?) And crooked presidents, and our embassy staff held hostage. Gas doubling in price in a few weeks.

I recall the 60s. Little thing called Vietnam going on. Presidents and hopefuls getting shot. Cuba putting nukes in place that would have less than a 5 minute trip to us. Berlin Wall.

I recall the 50s- and things like polio, kids in iron lungs. Learning about "duck and cover" in school. Early enough in the 50s, Korea. Long distance calls that were a small fortune, and took an operator to make. Going long distance meant a couple of DAYS on a train, not a couple of hours.

I recall the 40s- folks dieing from "blood poisoning", since penicillin was just being trotted out. Mumps, measles, diphtheria, whooping cough, scarlet fever. Appendicitis that got you a week in the hospital. Veterans with a shirt sleeve pinned up with a safety pin. Learning what a "displaced person" was.

As a species, we tend to remember the good, forget the bad. Pandora's last gift to us was Hope Eternal.

Now if you will excuse me, I have to go think about a little blue eyed blonde that asked me if I wanted to go swimming one afternoon.......

15. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

1947/48....

I'd buy a Tucker for pennies on the dollar and buy all the old mil-surps I could... :D

16. locutus

C3, thanks for bringing us back to reality.:D

There were bad things in the fifties, no doubt. But sometimes I think I'd be willing to put up with them to once again have the civility, the calm social order and values of that time.:eek:

(I was 17, and her name was Colleen:p)

17. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Isn't that the truth.

18. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Knowing what I know now , I would have liked to have study law and become the best lawyer the country has ever known and put most of these CEO.s and Politicians in Prison where they belong...!

Live and Die by the CONSTITUTION..! ;)

19. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

suprisingly i'm kinda happy with life now. not gonna lie, there are a couple girls at a few different ages in my life that i would've been curious how things turned out.

when my dad talked about growin up in the 70's & the price of gas & the price of muscle cars, i yearned for that time. but like he told me, "$2000 was just as hard to come by as $10,000 is now."

a co-worker told me how back in the early 80's he was trying to buy the farm down the road but the deal fell through. he said lookin back he's glad it did because the 18% interest & drought that followed would've made him homeless in a few years

20. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I would go back to 1996. That was the year my divorce was final, though I had been living alone with my kids the two years before that. I would have done a few things differently from that point on. I would have done things differently with my children and been more patient though I was extremely stressed with my situation. And I also would not have assumed all "step dads" were "evil". You guys here showed me that many step dads are wonderful men who gladly raise children who aren't their own. You have also taught me that many of you love your step dads more than your own biological fathers. I might not have deprived my children the chance for a wonderful step dad as I did. In fact, in May, my oldest is marrying a lovely young lady who has an 8 year old child. My son is a great step dad to that little girl. He does 'dad' things with her that her own father doesn't do. He takes her fishing, hiking, teaches her about nature, helped her sell some unused toys on Amazon and helped her open a $228 savings account with that money, etc.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013