God Bless Texas......

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by willshoum, Sep 23, 2011.

1. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Deathrow Inmates no longer will get Last meal request in Texas. OOO Yah.....:D

2. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

I think death row inmates should still get a final meal, personally. They SHOULDN'T be allowed to hang around for 10+ years on death row. That's the main problem with death row. 1 meal is really not a big deal.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

my hang up with it is the murdering b@stard didnt let his victim pick a ton of food for their last meal... i dont see why they deserve any special treatment.

4. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Fry em. Bring back The Chair.

5. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

I understand your point of view, but the final meal stands for more than just a meal. It's a reminder of what they could have been eating everyday if they hadn't committed such a crime. It's a reminder that, "hey, don't forget, we're killing you tomorrow". It's a mind game basically. It brings the reality to life that he is going to die tomorrow. I know for a fact that if I was dying tomorrow, I wouldn't be able to eat a single thing, and if I did somehow eat it, I'd probably throw it up later. That basically makes the whole meal a symbol of your own death.

It comes down to the the mind game summary of this: "Here's this meal you've been thinking about for years, the one you've been drooling over, and now you can't even enjoy it. The one last thing you had left in this world, and we've completely ruined it for you." To me, it's the final f** y** to the criminal. So I say, let him have the dinner, WE get the show.

6. TexasARGunna

TexasARGunna New Member

I'm fine with them having a "final meal" but to order a crap ton of food and only eat a few bites, heck no! Just give em 2 sloppy joes instead of 1 ;-P

I mean come on, these dudes are eatting better meals hours before dying than some law abiding citizens ever will be able to afford...

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Last meal? You're kidding, right?

Let's start sentencing these scum to medical experimentation.

Why subject puppies and fluffy bunnies to all that pain?

And don't give me any of that "cruel and unusual" crapola.

The victim didn't get a choice if what was going to happen to

them was cruel or unusual.

Money wasted on last meals should be re-allocated to help the victims

of violent crimes.

8. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

The sentences we give people is what we think would be strong enough to be a deterent to the crime. What is stronger than death?? The problem is psychology. In order for a punishment to be effective it needs 3 things. Without 1 it is not really effectives. Punishment needs to strong, swift, and decisive.

Death Penalty
    strong-obviously yes, they're gonna die
    swift- hell no, they get an automatic appeal plus many other appeals they can file for. Average lenght of hotel stay is 13 years.
    decisive-not really, death penalty trials take 3.5 times longer than non-death penalty trial.

So, to make it more streamlined, make it 6 months from arrest to trial. Once guilty, give one appeal then off to the firing squad. Crime to conviction to corpse under 1 year. That would definately be strong, swift, decisive. Maybe I should email Rick Perry to give this a trial run.:cool:

9. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

If you want a deterent, try killing the murderer the same way he killed the victim. If the murderer shot the victim and left him to slowly bleed to death, he deserves the same. It's painful, teaches them the ultimate lesson, and fits the crime.

10. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

Eighth Amendment-Cruel and Unusual

Granted, they deserve to be treated the same way as they treated their victim. However, because what the criminals do is hainess, I would view the government recipricating the same crime as cruel and unusual punishment. Again, they deserve to have it done to them, I dont advocate the government doing it. I would advocate the victim or victim's family of doing it to them.

11. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Ok, I agree that it would be cruel (but then you could argue that the death penalty is cruel or even just being punished is cruel. We have to be cruel to an extent) but, not unusual. People have been punishing people like that for centuries. Ever hear of the saying "an eye for an eye"? That's not just a saying, it was at one time law. If you poked someone's eye out, they poked your eye out. If you killed someone, they killed you. It was a very simple, yet effective law.

Hmm, letting the victim/victim's family decide what to do with the scum and how to do it. I like the way you think.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Deterrence is creating fear in the mind of the law-breaker.

When we set up prisons with Air-conditioning and heating, cable TV, three hot

grade-A meals, with dessert, spa and gym facilities, beds, blankets,

clothing, etc, all FREE to the convict, we are, in essence,

destroying ANY deterrent value for incarceration. Let's start by making them

PAY full boat for everything from their taxi service in the police cruiser at the

start, to their storage fee for personal items when the leave.

Orange Jumpsuit 139$- Meal -15$ Shoes-35$, etc.

Let's give them a real "debt to society" to repay.

And while we're at it, charge them for booking, and let us

law-abiding CCW holders have FREE booking services when

we get our permits. WHY do we as law abiding citizens

get punished by paying for our permit costs, so convicts can get the

exact same service free?

Want deterrence? What if a gang-banger knew there was the

very real possibility if he committed a violent crime, that a

scientist would be surgically altering his junk?

Tell victims and their families about "cruel and unusual".

The only reason it's unusual is we haven't done it on a regular basis.

I'm trying to remember the last violent felon who wasn't cruel.

13. Thadeuce

Thadeuce New Member

+1! Exodus 21:24 gives the "eye for an eye" talk but also says "wound for wound". If the Bible says it, does that still count for "cruel and unusual"?

14. ttolhurst

ttolhurst New Member

The Bible also calls for stoning.

Yes, it's still cruel even if it's in the Bible.

15. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Hey, I'm cool with that.

Look it here folks. What we need to do is turn it into an event (Gladiator?). No, not that cruel. We cant use the electric chair because of energy concerns. Why waste good ammo on a slime ball when you can use my next idea...

Bring back the rope! Then we can set up T.V. broadcast to make money for the local and state governments! And, the best part? HUGE deterrent IMHO.

16. therewolf

therewolf New Member

This whole "cruel and unusual" thing has to be re-thought.

If we made something cruel more commonplace,

we would no longer have the combination of the

two, which the bleeding heart wussies whine

about so much...

17. ttolhurst

ttolhurst New Member

Sounds like you'd appreciate the punishments available in Islamic nations.

18. eaglesnester

eaglesnester New Member

I think 13 years delay is great. He gets to think about his pending execution every minute of evey day for that entire time period. This sort of thing warms the very cockles of my heart

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Maybe WE get to think about it every day, but most of these

scumbags have the mentality of a dog that just crapped on the carpet.

The only time either of them feels bad is when what they've done

wrong gets crammed up their nose, and they face immediate punishment.

20. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I can't say. I'd have to examine the crime rate in Islamic nations VS

the USA.