Gock 17 & Glock 22

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Ara, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Ara

Ara New Member

I hate to start a caliber war but I need the forums advice.

I have the itch to buy a full size glock( currently own a g19 and I love the pistol)

I've shot a g17 and a g22 and like them both, but can only afford one.

The new pistol will be used predominantly for range purposes and, if needed, protection as well.

I understand that the 40 is a punchier round and perhaps has more knock down power. However,

I already have a 40 (sig 226) and also have 2 other 9mm (Barretta 92 & glock)

Which model would you go with?

Many thanks

Ara

2. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

If you go with the G22 you can get a 9mm conversion barrel for about $130.00, just something to consider. Since you already have a .40 at least you won't be adding a new caliber to feed.

3. Ara

Ara New Member

Does the caliber conversion barrel work flawlessly? Never thought of that!

4. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

There are a couple of companies that make aftermarket Glock conversion barrels. I've heard that the Lone Wolf's are very good. You can check their site.

I don't know if there is such a thing as "flawless" but if I put enough rounds down range with it without malfunction I would be comfortable with it.

5. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

You already own a .40 and a 9mm? Easy, which one are you more comfortable shooting.

Sure, the .40 probably has more "firepower" or whatever, but it's still a handgun round. The effectiveness of the 9mm, 40, 45 are all marginal differences and each caliber carries its own disadvantages as well. I say this as someone who uses a .45 ACP for their home defense gun, there is nothing wrong with 9mm for self defense.

If you're comfortable shooting .40 and generally like it better or have more confidence in the .40 than the 9mm, then get the G22. However, you are not making a huge compromise in your safety going with the G17.

6. hq357

hq357 New Member

I would buy the 40. And just pay 160$ and get a storm lake 9mm conversion barrel they are pretty damn reliable check out the tourture tests on youtube some ppl carry it with the 9mm for self defense thats what im planing to do once i get the money :)

7. Glockanista

Glockanista New Member

I have a 22 and Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion barrel with roughly 5000 rounds through the LW barrel. I have found keeping the feed ramp polished and clean is an absolute must for near flawlwess operation. And mine does not like Tulammo much.

Just so you know how much I trust the conversion barrel, I won a Glock 17 in a match 2 years and traded it for a Glock 30.

8. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

If you shoot for sports, get the 9mm. The 40S&W only makes sense in a service or self defense pistol.

9. JoeTho

JoeTho New Member

I have a Glock 27 with two lone wolf conversion barrels. I have the .40 to 9mm and the .40 to .357 sig. I have fired a little over one thousand rounds in 9mm without incident. I leave the .357 Sig barrel in that pistol and use it as a nightstand pistol. I later purchased a two-tone Glock 23, and added a Sure Fire tactical light to the rail. The Glock 23 is probably my favorite pistol.

10. JoeTho

JoeTho New Member

I meant to say I purchased a two-tone Glock 22 and added a sure fire tactical light on the rail. I don't have a Glock 23.

11. Mouser

Mouser Member

9mm ammo is slightly less expensive and 40 S&W is more available...flip a coin

12. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Get a 17, skip the 22.

My $0.02, ymmv.

13. mountaineergunner

mountaineergunner New Member

I have 22 it stays on my side almost all the time. Its a great gun well all glocks are lol. I want a 17 very bady myself. I say if your wanting gun for mostly range/sport shooting go with the 17. The ammo is cheaper plus its got less recoil. That would be how id look at it. Goodluck with witch ever one you choose.

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I have a G22 and like it, but since you have the G19 already the G17 would allow you to use its longer mags in the G19.

15. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

I carry a 22 for duty and I love it. But when it comes time to do reactive shooting drills it bows to the 19s and even the 26s. The recoil management is worlds better. I can get more accurate shots off with a 19 or a 26 than I can with my 22 and in less time. Which is a serious factor for self defense and for competition shooting.

The recoil management on a 22 is atrocious in comparison. They basically just did a barrel and chamber replacement on a 9mm and said "hey look its a .40!" Big thumbs down.

16. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If you like run and gun games get the 17. I used to own a 23 with a conversion barrel, it wasn't well balanced once the magazine had only a couple shots in it. I traded it for a full size XD competition model.

17. therukh

therukh New Member

.357 sig

Just a word of caution about the .357 sig as a nightstand pistol. While I think the cartridge is a great self-defense round, I would either have earplugs in the nightstand or think of suppressing it for use in a house or other enclosed space. Touching off a .357 sig in a room or hallway in a house would be similar to having a flash-bang go off at the end of your arm.

18. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

Yes the flash and report are intense but I would be more worried about over penetration, its a fast round moving with a ton of inertia which makes the round a great penetrator since that is why it was designed

19. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

:rolleyes: Earplugs? In a self defense situation? You guys are joking right?