Glueing on Rifle Sights?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by matt91152, May 15, 2013.

1. matt91152

matt91152 New Member

So I know it sounds like a bad thing to do, but I'm curious. I am a Student Gunsmith and i have been thinking about different ways to attach sights. I prefer using silver solder but I am wondering if there is a glue or epoxy that would be suitable. I know front sights are glued onto shotguns sometimes with Black Max, but could it hold up on a rifle? I have a sporterized 1917 Enfield in 30/06 that I like to use for experimenting. So does anyone have any input or suggestions?

2. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Red Green uses duct tape. Why don't you try that?
    ct

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Oh, now that was helpful.

But seriously, I am interested in what other might offer for advise.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

you would have to have something that isnt heat sensitive. heat breaks down most glues and epoxies that are readily available. then you have the chemical problem when you start cleaning with solvents.

there is a reason sights are attached via dovetail type cuts or screwed in or are part of a barrel band or sight base assembly

5. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

The problem is over time it will break down. Then you add recoil to the mix and if you glue sights on a gun they will come off. Rear sights should be held on my screws and front sights should be held on with silver solder.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The issue is not simply recoil. but the high frequency vibrations that run thru a barrel when you fire. As they hit the glue, density of material changes. Speed of that wave is a function of density (denser, faster). Wave gets reflected back on reaching the lighter material, meets second wave coming out, starts breaking epoxy.

Will it work? Yeah. For a while. Then your sight falls off on the ground.

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

If you're looking to experiment, you could try jb weld.

8. cottontop

cottontop Guest

sights

I know it wasn't directly helpful, but indirectly it was. What I meant was, gluing will not work. Go some other more permanent route that others have suggested. It was pretty funny though.
    ct

9. matt91152

matt91152 New Member

I have been told that JB Weld could withstand the heat and vibrations of firing a rifle. Although I am uncertain what the cleaning solvents I use would do to it. No one seems to know exactly how long it will last, but a few optimists said it could last as long as the rifle if done right.

10. Salvo

Salvo New Member

Try it with a really inexpensive sight. That way, when it falls off you haven't lost much.

I would advise against ever doing it on a customers gun though, on the assumption that as a gunsmith, you would like to have customers.

11. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

JB Weld is epoxy with metal dust in it. There is nothing magical about it.

12. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

No normal gun solvents will have any real effect on epoxy. As a temporary fix, I think it would work OK. I could never recommend it as a permanent installation method.

13. triggerjob

triggerjob New Member

Slow drying epoxy is plenty strong for sight installion. Just degrease well. And rough up the contact surfaces. To remove just heat with a torch and twist off.

14. 6_5swedeforelk

6_5swedeforelk New Member

Epoxy for site mounts

Finally, someone making sense.
    "...heat ...vibrations ...last for a while then fall off" ??
    Firstly this is a solution for your own rifle only!

In the case of my first N. trapline rifle. an old Rem pump with undrilled receiver, I JB welded a pivot mount and front site on this rifle. Since then it has been carried on horseback (bucked off once thanks to wolf on path), Argo, canoe and snowmobile. Notice the shiny 0% blueing finish? That doesn't come from hanging on the gun rack!
    Will fall off in time? Yeh, I don't think so. That was 1970 when I mounted that scope! My secret is to roughen up the surfaces (see quote) and use MEK (methyl ethyl keytone) as cleaner.

Attached Files:

15. 6_5swedeforelk

6_5swedeforelk New Member

Epoxies for scope mounts

My old Rem pump mount may have been done with another epoxy, not JB. It was so long ago, I can't remember.
    More current... I've used this rifle for "only" 12 years! Hasn't fallen off yet.

Attached Files: